Bigturc's War machine helmet (3D printed)

Bigturc

Sr Member
Hey guys,

Just received my War Machine helmet from coofunkcurly and Finhead. This helmet is 3D printed directly from the movie file! I spent about an hour with the dremel on this, to remove 90% of the flash .. there will barely be any sanding or putty to do on this .. amazing helmet!!!

I will eventually come back to this one as it needs a little more work and the painting .. but for now, I just wanted to show the pics! The Mark3 helmet is my Suckface helmet which is CNC'ed from the cg file.

EDIT: Unfortunately, my old pic account is dead. All pics have been uploaded here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/bigturc/albums/72157658630089201

large.jpg
large.jpg
large.jpg
large.jpg
large.jpg
large.jpg
large.jpg
large.jpg
large.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice :thumbsup

Look forward to seeing them both finished!

Yeah, all the prep is done for this helmet, just need to paint it now! Here's all that went into it.

I never realized how much cooler that helmet is than Ironman's. Looks great so far and it looks very clean.

It is so clean it's ridiculous! No sanding or putty will be needed on this helmet .. best quality prop I've ever ad! I'm a happy camper to have been on this run!!

Nice work by all connected to this. I was lucky enough to get on both these helmets as well. Still need to paint mine also. Will be doing that when I paint my suit.
Look forward to seeing what you do with these fella.
Thanks for sharing

Yeah .. I plan to drop both of them in rubber and sell crappy recast on Ebay for about 100$ :)

No seriously, the war machine helmet comes from coofunkcurly and Finhead here on the RPF while the mark III is a Suckface helmet from last year .. or was it the one before that? The runs are all done but watch the junkyard, who knows maybe they'll come back at some point!

Hopefully Clinton and Kev are readin this thread.

On the 2nd pic, I'm pointing to the inner lip of the helmet .. is this one supposed to stay there? I'm guessing yes to support the eye panel but I'd like to get this confirmed.

Don't mind the "flash" that I need to remove in the 3rd pic .. but I'm pointing to that same lip that I'm talking about .. remove or keep?

143247438.jpg
143247439.jpg
143247440.jpg

Thanks Clinton, that answers my question .. man you're fast!! Best service ever! :)

The cheek plates that came with the helmet, I supposed that the picture below is how we're supposed to attach them .. to the jaw piece and weld it seemlessly in the yellow region? And since that piece is flat, either bend it to fit the helmet cheek are or trim the part where I added the blue lines?

143248015.jpg

As for the paint, how do you go about painting this piece? I mean, it's already black, do you prime it black then paint it black after? I'm curious about your strategy on this!

Cheers mate,
Your tips are very much appreciated,
Al

Last edited:
YOur pic isn't showing but yes heat up the cheek pieces and form them in once you have the helmet ready to paint or fully built and trimmed. That way you can bend the cheek pieces with the faceplate on and in the proper place and get nice tight fit. BTW make sure and look at the pic I posted of the full helmet I posted it for just that resaon the jaw needs to be spaced out approx 3mm so the faceplate sits correctly.
As for the black the one I posted is actually charcoal grey not black with stainless steel (color of paint I used) weathering. If you need any more help or pics email me direct I can help you out further. c2hoines@gmail.com

Yes, I remember we already talked about the spacing somewhere .. just not too sure anymore where! :)

Last edited:
Ok guys,
Here's how I created the gap between the helmet and the jaw. Epoxy 2-parts glue with 3mm acrylic that I cut leaving a 3mm gap all around the outer faces.

143259599.jpg
143259600.jpg
143259601.jpg
143259602.jpg

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back