Bigturc's Tie Bomber thread

You mean this?

:cool

Yup. The sucky thing is that I've had these pics for a long time and never paid attention to it. Here is a close up of the pic I posted earlier...I had to shrink it down a bit. BTW, I'd like to give credit to the owner of this pic but I can't remember where I d-loaded it.

You can see what appears to be a missing glob of super glue where the base of the Flak seat back once was. Funny because the top cut out looks like it still wasn't enough to fit the Flak part. Must have really been in a hurry to finish this. I wish there were more info on the construction of this ship...how many days, etc.

P6130363_JPG-1.jpg

saw that too..
almost kinda looks like a post/toggle switch? perhaps for the lights? funny, cause i always try to hide my switch...maybe they did the "right under your nose" option?

Falk .. If you don't mind sharing, where is that picture coming from? Perhaps I just don't recognize it and I'm not home to check my refs but it's pretty clear on that one that it's the shape we're refering to!

I'm wondering why this hasn't been done before! Obviously we're not the only one that noticed...

Good spotting!. I'd never noticed this before at all. The pic in the 'Chronicles' book clearly shows this too, hmmmm:rolleyes.
I wonder if this panel is a kit part, made to fit within the curvatures of the tubes?.
I'm not too bothered, I'd rather have it looking 'clean' anyhoo, but that's just me:lol.
Cheers
Stu

Yeah I've noticed that hole under the Rodney part before. Never really worried about it, though, since I hadn't planned on recreating it. A sloppy, crooked panel however...:lol

I don't have access to my ref pics at the moment but maybe it was a mounting point. Or maybe it was originally meant to mount with the Rodney part in place....because isn't there a pic with it mounted from the front with all parts in that area removed momentarily?

Small update .. I've rebuilt my tube cover with the proper Plastruct cap. I've used Joe's excellent laser cut part. The styrene strips have been added inside and then sanded flush .. I'll have to do a small putty job but it looks really good. I always had the feeling the center hexagon was a little too big in proportion to the squared cut outs. Adding styrene helped bring back the proportions right -- to my eyes anyway! :D

Also added a compare shot of my old cap with the new one for future reference!

medium.jpg
medium.jpg
medium.jpg
medium.jpg

More work done on the wings .. the new one is finished and I'll redo the wing pylons on the second one .. I don't like how they're not perfectly straight!

You can see a mix of actual and cast parts. Only cast were the ones that would force me to buy multiple kits so I had them cast by a member here!

large.jpg
large.jpg
large.jpg
large.jpg
large.jpg

large.jpg
large.jpg

Nah Ron! Summer is just so busy .. I'm rarely at home in the week and all my week ends are outside so indoor projects are left way behind!

On the other hand, summer is the only time I have to shoot paint on my props, so I need to make sure everything gets ready for airbrushing before cold temps starts again .. :)

(Suckface IM Mark III helmet, IM Mark I helmet and Zorg's Mondoshawan hand)
View attachment 58217

Looks great Turc! Wow you even cast those itty bitty Karl parts that go on between the Tie wing and extensions on the inside of the wing!

I Can't tell from the pics, but what did you end up doing with the front side panel of the center box. Did you cut out the corners to make room for the flakvierling parts?

Marvin

@Engel Thanks man!

@Marvin Yeah, well, I don't have any merits for the casting .. my guy did an awesome job on them and they really kept all details from the actual!!!

As for the front panel, I didn't do anything yet. I want to move on, on not start to go back on stuff that is already done. When I have the wings and tubes completed, before priming everything, I'll revisit what I'm not happy with!

There's many little things I'd redo to make it perfect and I need to chill out if I want to see this SS finished. Then I'll polish if you know what I mean! :)

Mm .. just realized I never posted close ups of that from center box .. I'll do that later tonight .. ok, perhaps I'll fix it while I'm there!! :)

Well .. I'm into detailing the outter wings now .. and after reading it in another build thread, I needed to confirm that the wings used on each side, were actually the same wing from the DV kit.

This means that instead of buying 1 Vader kit, and using the Left wing on the left side and Right wing on the right side, you'll need to buy 2 DV kits and use both Left wings from the kits to create the Bomber Left and Right side wing.

So that means I'm completely off with my model but the heck with it .. I'm not restarting a wing!!!

I'll update the first post to reflect this info and make sure it gets out there!

Here's a simple montage illustrating this fact
136606896.jpg

Hey Turc,

Yeah I've been kinda stuck ever since I noticed that ILM used two identical wings. Still not sure if I want restart one of the wings or not....

Marvin

I'm sure I've read this somewhere .. but do we know how many SS Bomber there was?

If many .. yeah, it would definitely make sense even though the outer wing rod details on the extensions are not identical .. but that could only mean they were glued afterward .. mmm

I'm certain there was only ever one complete Tie Bomber filming model. I mean why would there be multiples for such a ship in so little screen time?.
The modelers would simply have grabbed two wings from their stash of donor kits (as seen on the ILM shelves, just look at how many MPC X-Wings were on the shelves) & not have even batted an eyelid into the differences between the left & right wings.
Hell, I didn't notice the difference TBH & in no way am I bothered in changing mine to be totally accurate!.
Stu

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back