Better late than never. Ironman Mark 43 Foam Build First time Builder

dcw370

Hi all,

I've been a lurker for about a year or so until more recently, I actually made an account.

Anyway, back in May of 2015, I started building my Mark 43 suit from Age of Ultron.
I want to thank Helagak and all that have contributed to his files, I used those as well as free handed some stuff.

Before I began, I didn't think that it would be too difficult, but I was wrong. This is actually my first build ever and I just happened to choose one of the harder models to build.

Anyway, I have been working on this on and off for the last few months.

For Wizard World Chicago in August, I had the hands, forearms, biceps, shoulders, boots and shins done. I was going for an Ironman 3 Tony dungeon escape look.

Then I took time off for life, and once more, I began work on the chest, neck and back and then, more time off.

Come January, I wanted to have the full thing ready for C2E2 in March, so I started working on the thighs, cod and abs. I got the thighs done, but rookie mistake, they didn't fit very well, rookie mistake number 2, I didn't want to fully remake them so I cut and pasted some extra foam in each to make them a bit wider.

Then, from here on out, this became a speed build. I got all of the main features of the abs and cod cut, and I decided to free hand the rest and build it into all one piece, another rookie mistake, I didn't cut an opening in this, I made it wide enough to slide on.

I finally finished, wore it at the con, I realize now some issues that I had, but I would call it a success.

Things I would change:
  • Make the straps for the thighs shorter, the thighs were sitting too low and basically engulfing the shins. This also caused my magnetic knee joint to not function.
  • I would make the abs/cod able to open from the side or sides for easy access and also, so it could be tighter.
  • I would make "suspenders" for the abs to keep them up, especially since they are supporting the legs.
  • I would add cloth to the inside of the neck, it started to chafe after a while.
  • I would remake the boots so that they could open up, letting me tie the shoes hidden inside, my feet slid around too much and that was putting pressure on my ankles.
  • First of all, I would definitely use thicker foam, I used foamies for everything but the chest. The chest was a coleman rolled work mat. I think I would rather go with thinner puzzle mats next time.
  • For the repulsors, I used Energizer Magnetic Lights. I would like to try something different, like disassembling a tap light.
  • I would make and wear a helmet, it just wasn't ready in time.
Let me know what you think

EDIT: Here is an imgur link for the photos, not sure why they went dead.

https://imgur.com/a/nWVIg

CD7itR3.jpg

Ab32qmP.jpg
oL1L6sB.jpg

pBrgWmY.jpg

0Rfhokn.jpg

VrTbmbA.jpg

6io6mbl.jpg
Z125yPG.jpg

CgNFAUC.jpg

ft8sxWz.jpg

Last edited:
This looks awesome!! Anyone who takes the time to even make one of these is awesome. One thing I've learned is that you should always try new techniques each time you make a suit/armor.

There are advantages to thinner foam, but I would also encourage you to use thicker foam. I use 1/2 in. thick foam for everything, then 1/4 inch for pieces I need to be lighter or slimmer and 2mm craft foam for details. It's quite sturdy and I'm not worried about it falling apart.

Good idea for the neck piece, I hadn't though about it.

Don't forget to have fun with it too, experiment around and build some prototype pieces.

Thanks Ironbat, I really tried to aim high, after seeing all of the builds on here, especially this Mark. I haven't actually made a helmet yet. I have zero experience with electrical work, guess this is a good time to learn now. Out of curiosity, do you know the price range that someone would charge to comission a helmet with tech?

Roc, thank you, I learned a lot while building this, especially what mistakes to avoid or at least how to fix them. I'm definitely interested in doing another build, I have been thinking about doing Halo Moljinor armor, Fallout Power armor or doing another Iron man like the Mark VII or Mark XLVI. I am in no rush.

I will most definitely be using thicker foam. What had happened was that I bought the foam mat to make the chest, it was kind of difficult to cut, I then went to make the hands and I used foamies and that lead me to doing the rest of the armor with it. Problem is, I had to reinforce everything with scrap foam on the inside, Probably could have been avoided if I just used thicker foam to begin with.

I guess my next move is to build my helmet. Will post photos later on this weekend. Any advice on doing electronics? I am someone with no knowledge of electrical work, looking at those diagrams on the "motorized faceplate" thread mean nothing to me.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back