Best X-Wing Model?

Discussion in 'General Modeling' started by cmp1223, Jul 31, 2003.

1. cmp1223

cmp1223 New Member

Hi. I was just wondering if any of you could recommend an X-Wing kit. I have an old ROTJ MPC/ERTL kit that looks fine and is about 12" long. I think I will build this, but I was just wondering if anyone had comments on this kit or if there was another uber-X wing kit available so I don't waste my time. The FineModels one look good, but is only 6"

Thanks
    -Chris

2. Sluis Van Shipyards

Sluis Van Shipyards Master Member

I don't know how accurate the ERTL one is, but I built one up around 95 and had no problems. The quality X-Wing kits probably go like this:

Capt. Cardboard Studio X-Wing 1/24 I think
    Finemolds X-Wing 1/72
    SMT X-Wing 1/48 http://smt.theshoppe.com/xwing.html
    ERTL X-Wing scale?
    newer ERTL 1/48 X-Wing, though I hear it's really inaccurate.

3. Sluis Van Shipyards

Sluis Van Shipyards Master Member

I don't know how accurate the ERTL one is, but I built one up around 95 and had no problems. The quality X-Wing kits probably go like this:

Capt. Cardboard Studio X-Wing 1/24 I think
    Finemolds X-Wing 1/72
    SMT X-Wing 1/48 http://smt.theshoppe.com/xwing.html
    ERTL X-Wing scale?
    newer ERTL 1/48 X-Wing, though I hear it's really inaccurate.

4. cmp1223

cmp1223 New Member

thanks. BTW here is a pic of the type i have:

[​IMG]

i think it is 1/48 about. has over 95 pieces.

5. tek2graphics

tek2graphics Well-Known Member

OK, i know this is an OLD post, but I just got a FINE MOLDS 1:48 X-Wing... and right away I can tell that there're MAJOR differences compared to the MPC!

6. Nwerke

Nwerke Master Member

Where did you even dredge this up from? :lol

Well yes. The MPC kit is a 1977 product based somewhat loosely on ILM's Red 5 model, or photos of it (measurements don't seem to have been a big priority). It was intended for kids.

The FM kit is a much better researched Noughties product made by a company with a much stronger commitment to accuracy and intended for adults.

Chalk and cheese!

7. NAZGÛL

NAZGÛL Sr Member

There are MPC x-wings used in ROTJ though. ;)

ecl likes this.
  8. tek2graphics

Huh!?? MPC's in Return of Jedi? Where?
    (Nwerke, i did a search for FM xwing, and this is what came up, I just got one and wanted to know what were the differences of this that model make it better? )

9. Nwerke

Nwerke Master Member

Yeah, they were shot for background fighters in the big Endor battle I think. I don't know if you can actually spot them on screen, but there are survivors in the Archives.

The FM is simply a much better interpretation of the shape of the real models than any of the various MPC kits. The MPC is all off in every aspect - wings, fuselage, engines are all incorrectly scaled and shaped.

There was also an earlier Japanese injection-plastic X-wing in the 70s or early 80s which may have been quite good, I've never seen one as such, though parts of it show up as kitbash detail on a couple of SF3D models.

10. JMChladek

JMChladek Sr Member

The two Japanese X-Wings I am aware of are the Revell Takara offering and the Argonauts vinyl X-Wing. Both are tough to find. I had a Revell Takara (I acquired it for a history of SW model kits article I did for Star Wars Insider magazine in 2003, issue 75 if I recall correctly). The RT kit was more based on the Kenner toy then a studio model as it had a stubbier bottom. Plus it had a rather goofy lighting and motorization system, so it was little more then a model kit of a toy. As such, probably about the best thing for it was use as kitbash fodder for SF3D creations. Later on as the SW kit license evolved, Revell Takara also imported the MPC X-Wings to Japan.

The Argonauts kit my comparison was much better. But it was vinyl rather then styrene and as such it had some issues to deal with when building. These days, it can be expensive to acquire if somebody spots one, although it doesn't have the demand of other Argonauts issues, such as the Falcon and the Y-Wing.

Concerning the MPC kit, I have to admit it may not exactly be state of the art today. But for its time it had the potential of producing a very nice model as the accurizing work needed to make it shine really isn't all that much. It had recessed panel lines (almost unheard of back then) and was a nice size. The operating features such as the opening wings didn't work all that well. But if you glued the wings in place it did the job nicely. Add some strip styrene in spots for the gun mounts, replace the guns themselves with brass tubing, and it looks a lot better.

Looking over the details on the model, it seems pretty obvious that while MPC may not have had direct access to an ILM studio model, they certainly got at least some of the references from one (probably a pyro model). I have a 50% built X-Wing in my stash that I plan to get back to soon. I want to really trick it out and finish it alongside a 1/48 FineMolds kit for something along the lines of an "old school, new school" sort of build.

As for what makes a FineMolds model better, it mainly comes down to 3 decades of kit production advancement and improvements in research. As such, the FineMolds kit fits better and overall, the details are such that even out of the box, a great model can be built. Some people have knocked FineMolds on some details not being quite studio model accurate, or at least accurate to one specific studio model. Frankly, I don't entirely consider that fair criticism though since different scales of studio models had detail and dimension differences. As such, pinning down details to one specific model will make it less accurate to others. All things considered, while there are some minor differences, FineMolds has captured the appearance of the X-Wing in styrene form probably better then anyone else to date.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2010
  11. tek2graphics

Well, i'm SO excited I got my hands on one of the 1:48 FM kits. Now... what's the difference between the 1:72 and 1:48 Fine Molds? (Except for size) : )
    For some reason when i do a search for FineMolds XWing pictures.. most of them are for the smaller one...? Any reason why?

12. GF

GF Sr Member

1/72 is way too small to appreciate IMHO, same goes for WWII or Fighter jets, at that size even with a top notch paintjob they still look like little toys, thats why I only put my $ and energy in SS or at least 1/48 and 1/32.

GFollano

13. tek2graphics

If anyone has photos of the MPC's Xwing used in the movies.. I'D LOVE TO SEE THEM!!! PLEASE POST!!?

14. NAZGÛL

NAZGÛL Sr Member

If I got it right, the x wings shown in the clip when the rebels leave hyperspace (straight at you) and reaches DS II are MPC.

15. NAZGÛL

NAZGÛL Sr Member

16. tek2graphics

17. Mike J.

Mike J. Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I believe the FM 1/72 was their earlier release, and the 1/48 is slightly newer. Maybe by a year or two? Besides that, I don't know anything else.

I have both (actually a couple 1/72's) and I am exceptionally slowly putting a 1/72 together. Trying to get back in practice, and improve my skills, so I can execute the big one as nicely as I can.

-Mike J.

18. Nwerke

Nwerke Master Member

Thank you, JM. I think I was conflating the two!

Actually it didn't, at first. The 70s releases had raised panel lines, it wasn't until the kit was retooled in the 80s that the panel lines were recessed. You used to have to scrape the thing down and rescribe it yourself.

True enough. I've seen some painted up really well, and they look nice.

Wasn't that set of Red 5 pics that were released with the CC kit reputedly taken while doing duty as reference for MPC?

Different parts breakdown, but was the actual master different? No idea, I only have the 1/72.

The 1/72 has been out a *lot* longer than the 1/48. Probably just that.

19. Dedalus5550

Dedalus5550 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The 48th scale X-wing from FM has almost the same amount of parts as the 72nd scale offering. I don't have the parts count, but it's almost identical. I assume the snap feature limited the level of detail, but basically, the level of detail is also roughly the same and in some places, the 72nd scale outshines the 48th scale. For my money, the main thing the 48th scale holds over the 72nd scale is that it's larger and many people like that. It would be easier to do your own mods on something bigger, too. And it would be easier to run wires and LEDs in there to light things up.
    Mike Todd

20. Dedalus5550

21. Dedalus5550

I don't have them, but they do exist because I've seen them. Grainy photos of them sitting on a table in the ILM workroom, as I recall.
    Mike Todd

22. Robiwon

Robiwon Master Member Gone but not forgotten.

23. SGluedMyFingers

SGluedMyFingers Well-Known Member

Let's not forget about the AMT Electronic ProShop X-wing. It's about 1:35?

You can still find these on e-bay. It's no Capt Cardboard or Salzo but it cleans up pretty well. Much better than the other AMT/ERTL offerings - nice cockpit and figure.

The AMT Darth Vader Tie is about 1:35 so they match up well.

24. Robiwon

Robiwon Master Member Gone but not forgotten.

I have to agree. I built the ProShop before starting my V2 build. The ProShop is a very nice kit. Dump the cheesy electronics and do a straight build and it looks good. Some proportions are off but the size makes up for it.

25. robn1

robn1 Master Member

Hmmm, that seems odd. I got the kit on the first run and it had recessed lines. The only change I ever saw in the repops was the plastic color.

26. JMChladek

JMChladek Sr Member

The first issue had recessed panel lines. I've got three of the original MPC kits, one with the ESB sticker on the box and two of the small box issues of the first kit. In fact, the partly built kit I have in my stash is one of the original MPC runs. I am building it since typically the early run kits usually have the best parts quality. Plus, I was able to acquire an original large box and while it didn't have a complete kit in it, it had some pieces and they were practically unchanged from the small box pressing (which came out within a year of the big box so retailers could fit more on the shelf).

Now the snap together MPC X-Wing issued for Return of the Jedi HAD raised panel lines in the same configuration as what the glue together kit had for recessed ones. That might be the source of the confusion. But it makes no sense for a model company to do an issue with raised lines and then a recessed panel version in less then a year due to how the molds would need to be altered to do that. I sold off my Revell Takara kit about two years ago since I knew I would never build it. I can't recall the detailing of the plastic. But given the Kenner toy had raised lines and the Takara offering might have been inspired by it, it may have had raised lines also. The box art was very much like that found on the MPC kit, just done by a different artist with the X-Wing posed a little differently.

Except for plastic colorings (white for ANH and ESB issues, tan for original ROTJ issues and light gray for the AMT/Ertl repops except for one last pressing in white plastic for the paint and glue version) the kits remained unchanged. The very late pressings deleted the biker pilot figure from the kit though. But they kept everything else pretty much as is.

27. Dedalus5550

I also have what I believe to be one of the first run x-wings. It's dated 1978, the ANH boxing calling it Luke Skywalker's X-wing, in white plastic. It has recessed panel lines.
    Mike Todd

28. Nwerke

Nwerke Master Member

JM, what IS the raised-panel-line version then, if not the first issue? I bought it at my local store in 1978, paying for it on hire-purchase with my pocket money, took me weeks. I have the remnants of it, and one other, sitting on my scanner right now. It can't have been an "export only" version?

I recall my surprise in 1983 at noticing that the ROTJ version had recessed panel lines. "That's a big improvement!" was my first thought. "How did they even DO that?!" was my second.

While the ROTJ version was moulded in tan plastic, there were later grey releases also, and one white release. Perhaps some of you actually have that one?

(Edit: d'oh, repeating JM there, haha! See below for elaboration.)

Last edited: Jul 4, 2010
  29. JMChladek

JMChladek Sr Member

I can't answer what it is as I haven't seen it. Are you able to take pictures of your remnants? Given that back in 1978, there was not one company issuing SW kits for the world wide market (most everyone imported MPC kits, but under different brands such as Meccanno in France, Denys Fisher in the UK, Harbert in Germany etc...) I suppose there is a possibility for something different to have popped up in Australia. But I haven't seen anything to indicate that was the case. So any imagery you can provide would be most helpful.

If it is the exact same size as the later MPC offering, then maybe (a big maybe) MPC did a test shot run and exhiled those to the foreign market while coming up with something new for the domestic (USA) one. It would seem very strange for them to do that though.

30. Nwerke

Nwerke Master Member

It IS the MPC kit. It came in the original "big box", has the wonky wing mechanism, etc etc.

As far as I knew, ALL 1978 releases were like mine, with raised panel lines. A quick search on the web supports that, there are a few websites around which mention the issue. There's also a discussion here in December; Colin Droidmilk and other X-wing enthusiasts agree that the first release had raised panel lines, like Vader's TIE.

I think (but don't quote me) that there may have been later (post-Jedi boxing) releases in a facsimile of the original 1978 box. I may be wrong there, but I'm sure I remember seeing that on shelves.

I'm pretty confident that the kit was retooled no earlier than the Jedi release. I picked up a lot of these things over the years! They were all raised, up until 1983.

Here's a pic of one of my scrapped fuselages.

31. JMChladek

JMChladek Sr Member

Well I'll be damned! If I hadn't seen it I wouldn't have believed it. Thanks for posting this! :)

One of my boxes dates back to Empire. It was a small box version with a big black "Empire Strikes Back" sticker stuck on it and it has recessed panel lines, like my other MPC Star Wars small box issue (the one I have half built). In my research, I've encountered no examples of a late pressing X-Wing done in the original box art. When AMT/Ertl bought out MPC, creating MPC Ertl, they did issue kits in the MPC box arts for a time. The only two I know of reissued in the 1970s vintage Star Wars boxings were the Vaders TIE Fighter and the Vader figure kit. All the other ones were done in normal ESB or ROTJ packaging (the X-Wing was one reissued in an ROTJ box) with MPC/Ertl logos and silver commemorative edition stickers over the shrink wrap. If the X-Wing had been reissued in a commemorative Star Wars ANH box art edition, it likely would have been assigned a new AMT/Ertl catalog number. But all boxings I've seen of the MPC kit in original artwork give the kit number as 1-1914. I know that very late in the AMT/Ertl Star Wars kit run, there were some kits that were made for the foreign market only that never made it back to US shores, except maybe for closeout sales. Two I can recall quite well were the snap A-Wing and Y-Wing kits done with black borders and AMT box logos. So maybe a pressing like that was done. But I doubt it.

Checking further, Kalmbach books in 1979 printed a book called "Famous Spaceships of Fact and Fantasy" (this was 5 years before they launched Fine Scale Modeler Magazine). They did a build of the MPC X-Wing and it appears they had a recessed panel line one as well. So, the raised panel line version appears to have had a limited production life, at least through the large box versions. Apparently none made it to the small box versions (although perhaps some did turn up in foreign packaging).

Very interesting!

Last edited: Jul 4, 2010
  32. robn1

robn1 Master Member

Wow, that's something I've never seen or heard of before! And I've never seen Vader's TIE with raised lines either. I got both of these kits on the first release in '78, and both had recessed lines.

Thanks for posting that pic, I was beginning to think one of us was nuts :lol

33. Nwerke

Nwerke Master Member

Fraid not; the Vader kit was also raised from Day 1 and stayed that way for years - trust me on that one! I really don't think they revised the kits before 1983. Thinking about it, there is NO WAY that MPC was running different moulds side-by-side. If you want a pic of a raised Vader kit, I can line up five or six of them, hehe. :)

IIRC the Famous Spaceships buildup was scribed by hand; all the "serious" modellers did that around here and drew ooh's and aaah's at displays. :)

34. Colin Droidmilk

Colin Droidmilk Sr Member

'Morning all! I should be working, but can't resist wasting more of my life blathering on about X-wings. Yeah, my 1978 MPC had raised lines ( and my Vader TIE), but it is weird that the Famous Spaceships build features recessed lines - which don't seem to have been a mod, since the guy warns you not to fill them in inadvertently when puttying. Also, he outlines what mods he's going to do, and panel lines isn't one of them. Very odd.

On the FM v MPC issue, I'm going to redress the balance a little. FM made certain canopy errors which MPC didn't (though MPC made other canopy errors of course): the too-high roof;the fact that the roof slopes; the fact that the vertical canopy side-struts are out of line with the plane of the fuselage walls. These are new errors that were not made by MPC. FM can't resist finding errors not made by MPC and then incorporating them into their new 'totally accurate' kits, the Falcon being the most absurd example. Also, MPC remains the only X - incl EFX, Salzo etc., to have a soft-edged nose - seen on many, if not all, heroes and pyros.

35. robn1

robn1 Master Member

Nope. The author, Don Klein, praised both kits for the recessed lines. He said it made masking easier. He mentioned re scribing the lines where they got filler in them.

These are from the scans I did for The Star Wars Archives site.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Pics of the TIE would be cool, I never knew it existed with raised lines. Very interesting stuff!

36. Nwerke

Nwerke Master Member

Colin, what do you mean by nose - the actual extreme end nose cap piece? Or the forward upper fuselage? I noted your comment in the other thread about the curved sides of the upper forward fuse - personally, that's actually one thing I don't much love, it's kind of a cheat (easier to do than the correct constantly-changing radius). If you mean the nose cap piece, yeah, I've changed the shape of that fairly significantly on my V2 and V3s.

Rob, thanks for the scans. Is this a 70s edition though, or the re-release? I think the re-release was updated in certain ways. I have the 70s edition here somewhere but not to hand, so can't check mine. If that was in the original issue then it rates a pretty big HUH??!??! :) Perhaps he was speaking loosely, in the X-wing article - meaning he changed raised lines to scribed ones where he'd lost them via puttying only. But that theory doesn't hold for the TIE, he's pretty explicit there. Could we actually be looking at two side-by-side sets of moulds in parallel operation after all? Why would they do that?!

I'll set up some pics of the Vader ship in the morning.

37. JMChladek

JMChladek Sr Member

Rob's scans are from the 1970s edition. I have a copy of both that book and the 2nd edition. Some of the fonts were different in the second version, but the core article was the same. There was one project in the 1st book that covered rescribing, but it was for the Aurora Orion shuttle from 2001.

As for molds from parallel operations, it is possible. I've seen a couple other examples where two tools were made for a popular kit going back to the 1960s. As a result, there were some minor differences in the sprue tree layouts. Given how popular Star Wars was, I can see it happening if world demand for X-Wings exceeded supply. I'll do some further checking (I may have one more magazine that dates back that far, an old Scale Modeler issue), but I believe this is what we are seeing.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2010
  38. robn1

robn1 Master Member

It's the first printing, '78 or '79. I don't have the book handy either at the moment.

39. Colin Droidmilk

Colin Droidmilk Sr Member

Martyn, yeah, I mean the nosecap. Nice that you rounded your Salzos out. I'd ruled that mod out as too scary! But I don't know what comment you took to mean I was into anything other than the constantly changing curve radius on the upper forward fuse edges. I'm with you on that definitely.

40. NAZGÛL

NAZGÛL Sr Member

I just heardthat the x-wing on Dagobah also could be an MPC. If it is, it could be a cool dio subject.:love

41. Nwerke

Nwerke Master Member

Colin, I haven't done it to the ones I have in hand yet but did fiddle my CC and the V3 Stu has currently. It's an easy job; just sand or adze with a blade edge. Nothing to it. As for the comment, I thought I found one where you praised the curving sides on the MPC but may have misread it.

Nazgul, the X-wing on Dagobah was played by the original Red 3, which was retrofitted with an undercarriage.

42. NAZGÛL

NAZGÛL Sr Member

Oh, ok. Just a rumour then.

43. JMChladek

JMChladek Sr Member

BTW, bringing this back on topic to the original question (even if it was years ago) for the newbies, my side by side build project is coming along. The MPC kit certainly has its quirks, but overall it seems to match up with the dimensions of the studio models a little better (although I am almost totally rebuilding the guns on it with brass tubing and adding greeblie bits to it). That being said, the Fine Molds 1/48 X-Wing is literally a breeze to build! It has high detail and even though it is snap together, it isn't like a typical western snap together kit as the parts fit together very well. I am of course gluing mine for better final assemblies. Minor detailing on it also looks nice, even if some of the shapes are a bit unusual. In the final analysis, I think the 1/72 kit is still a little better as there are some shapes on it I think got nailed more properly and I like the parts and decal options better (options for Red 1, 2, 3 and 5 while the 1/48 only gives the Red 5 option for decals). But they are close.

The recently issued Revell X-Wings are also nice for quick and easy builds. The big Revell X-Wing is the same scale as the old MPC Snap X-Wing, so you can chuck those things into the greeblie bin (keep the decals though for after the Revell gets repainted). It looks like Revell took some cues from Fine Molds for how they detailed their X-Wings. Only thing I don't like about them are the vinyl pilot figures, but the smaller pocket sized kits have ones molded in traditional styrene at least.

As such, I would rank the licensed X-Wing kits out there in the following manner (licensed only rather then including the resin SS ones):

1. 1/72 FineMolds X-Wing (most options in a styrene X-Wing kit)
    2. 1/48 FineMolds X-Wing
    3. Revell 1/60ish scale X-Wing
    4. AMT/Ertl Pro-shop X-Wing (some proportion problems, but best of the AMT kits)
    5. Revell 1/125ish scale X-Wing (pocket snap kit, nice but so small, good for dioramas)
    6. Argonauts X-Wing (good detail, best of the bunch in its day)
    7. MPC/AMT/Ertl original 1/41 scale X-Wing (not as good by itself, but can be built nice with some TLC)
    8. Estes Maxi-Brute X-Wing (want studio scale licensed kit, this is the only game in town short of a Kenner/Hasbro X-Wing. It needs a lot of work, but it can be done as the basic shapes are there at least)
    9. MPC/AMT/Ertl 1/60ish scale snap together X-Wing (a distant 9th place, needs a lot of work to bring up to a good standard, but it can be done).

44. PHArchivist

PHArchivist Master Member

My contribution:

The Hasbro conversion on far right, next in from the right is the Pro-Shop, then standard ERTL, then smal ERTL.

[​IMG]

Pro-Shop

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

45. JMChladek

JMChladek Sr Member

Wow! Nice work. Pretty crazy that you went so far to chop the glass out of the Pro-shop X-Wing's canopy (or did you just scratch a new canopy using the Pro-Shop kit's canopy as a base?). I love the result though.

I wish I had THAT many TIE Fighter kit display bases to use for X-Wings as they are perfect for use with big X-Wings. Alas, my one whole base is part of a dogfight diorama and I chopped another one up to use with a Y-Wing trench display.

46. NAZGÛL

NAZGÛL Sr Member

Impressive x-wings! That Hasbro looks really great too!

Cut out glass is a good way to get a ILM look imo.

47. MonsieurTox

MonsieurTox Master Member

48. NAZGÛL

NAZGÛL Sr Member

Thanks for the list JM! What are the things you think the FM 1/48 lacks that are right on the 1/72?

Could the canopy glass be cut on the 1/48? Having the glass removed is an issue for me on the x-wings, and Id hate to get one and ruin it.

49. PHArchivist

PHArchivist Master Member

Holy **** I can't remember! Honestly - I can't! But I think I may have scratched it. On the Hasbro though I clearly remember cutting out the glass panels, as it was a b****!

Take a close look at the TIE bases. Note that they are slightly convex. These are castings from a slightly warped mold. But hey - is not the surface of the DS convex as well!? ;)

Last edited: Jul 23, 2010
  50. JMChladek

JMChladek Sr Member

Well, I guess it IS slightly convex :lol

As for what I think the 1/48 kit lacks, it has a gear down option, but the canopy has to be cut apart to display it open when the 1/72 gave you both open and closed canopies. The engine pod details are for those that match the Red 5 studio model, so the S-IVB rocket stage pieces have that big tunnel rail running down all of them. So forget doing an accurate Red 2 or a couple other ships unless you are really good at removing the tunnels without damaging the rest of the details. There is also no R5 astromech dome, just the classic R2 dome. Granted that would be studio model accurate, but it is nice to have options for those wanting to represent full size set astromechs in their X-Wings. The 1/72 kit has all those options, plus the short engine burner can like what Red 3 has sported more recently. And of course the decals are only for Red 5, but that is a somewhat minor complaint. One thing the 1/48 kit has that I DO like is engine face detail inside the engines and it matches what the full size "dentist chair from hell" set piece had. I can't really go into the shape issues, given the differences between the Hero and Pyro X-Wing versions (and even the MPC X-Wings used as studio models). Overall it looks close enough to be a good X-Wing for most people, although some dimensions and shapes seem a little closer to some drawings of X-Wings from the older reference books rather then studio model shapes.

I just think in my opinion the 1/72 kit seemed to capture the essence of a studio model X-Wing just a tick better and I like the options of course. The 1/48 omissions are very minor as it can be done as a very nice X-Wing. Indeed some of the panel details on it I am using as a guide for detailing up my MPC X-Wing since the sizes are so close. If I didn't already have a few MPC kits sitting in my stash, I would acquire more FineMolds 1/48 kits for other uses. Given how cheap one can acquire MPC X-Wings for, it still has its uses when combined with styrene, brass and styrene tubing (for the guns) and a little aftermarket resin for the cockpit.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2010