Best X-Wing Model?

cmp1223

Hi. I was just wondering if any of you could recommend an X-Wing kit. I have an old ROTJ MPC/ERTL kit that looks fine and is about 12" long. I think I will build this, but I was just wondering if anyone had comments on this kit or if there was another uber-X wing kit available so I don't waste my time. The FineModels one look good, but is only 6"

Thanks
-Chris

I don't know how accurate the ERTL one is, but I built one up around 95 and had no problems. The quality X-Wing kits probably go like this:

Capt. Cardboard Studio X-Wing 1/24 I think
Finemolds X-Wing 1/72
SMT X-Wing 1/48 http://smt.theshoppe.com/xwing.html
ERTL X-Wing scale?
newer ERTL 1/48 X-Wing, though I hear it's really inaccurate.

I don't know how accurate the ERTL one is, but I built one up around 95 and had no problems. The quality X-Wing kits probably go like this:

Capt. Cardboard Studio X-Wing 1/24 I think
Finemolds X-Wing 1/72
SMT X-Wing 1/48 http://smt.theshoppe.com/xwing.html
ERTL X-Wing scale?
newer ERTL 1/48 X-Wing, though I hear it's really inaccurate.

thanks. BTW here is a pic of the type i have:

mo2011.jpg

i think it is 1/48 about. has over 95 pieces.

OK, i know this is an OLD post, but I just got a FINE MOLDS 1:48 X-Wing... and right away I can tell that there're MAJOR differences compared to the MPC!

Where did you even dredge this up from? :lol

Well yes. The MPC kit is a 1977 product based somewhat loosely on ILM's Red 5 model, or photos of it (measurements don't seem to have been a big priority). It was intended for kids.

The FM kit is a much better researched Noughties product made by a company with a much stronger commitment to accuracy and intended for adults.

Chalk and cheese!

Huh!?? MPC's in Return of Jedi? Where?
(Nwerke, i did a search for FM xwing, and this is what came up, I just got one and wanted to know what were the differences of this that model make it better? )

Yeah, they were shot for background fighters in the big Endor battle I think. I don't know if you can actually spot them on screen, but there are survivors in the Archives.

The FM is simply a much better interpretation of the shape of the real models than any of the various MPC kits. The MPC is all off in every aspect - wings, fuselage, engines are all incorrectly scaled and shaped.

There was also an earlier Japanese injection-plastic X-wing in the 70s or early 80s which may have been quite good, I've never seen one as such, though parts of it show up as kitbash detail on a couple of SF3D models.

The two Japanese X-Wings I am aware of are the Revell Takara offering and the Argonauts vinyl X-Wing. Both are tough to find. I had a Revell Takara (I acquired it for a history of SW model kits article I did for Star Wars Insider magazine in 2003, issue 75 if I recall correctly). The RT kit was more based on the Kenner toy then a studio model as it had a stubbier bottom. Plus it had a rather goofy lighting and motorization system, so it was little more then a model kit of a toy. As such, probably about the best thing for it was use as kitbash fodder for SF3D creations. Later on as the SW kit license evolved, Revell Takara also imported the MPC X-Wings to Japan.

The Argonauts kit my comparison was much better. But it was vinyl rather then styrene and as such it had some issues to deal with when building. These days, it can be expensive to acquire if somebody spots one, although it doesn't have the demand of other Argonauts issues, such as the Falcon and the Y-Wing.

Concerning the MPC kit, I have to admit it may not exactly be state of the art today. But for its time it had the potential of producing a very nice model as the accurizing work needed to make it shine really isn't all that much. It had recessed panel lines (almost unheard of back then) and was a nice size. The operating features such as the opening wings didn't work all that well. But if you glued the wings in place it did the job nicely. Add some strip styrene in spots for the gun mounts, replace the guns themselves with brass tubing, and it looks a lot better.

Looking over the details on the model, it seems pretty obvious that while MPC may not have had direct access to an ILM studio model, they certainly got at least some of the references from one (probably a pyro model). I have a 50% built X-Wing in my stash that I plan to get back to soon. I want to really trick it out and finish it alongside a 1/48 FineMolds kit for something along the lines of an "old school, new school" sort of build.

As for what makes a FineMolds model better, it mainly comes down to 3 decades of kit production advancement and improvements in research. As such, the FineMolds kit fits better and overall, the details are such that even out of the box, a great model can be built. Some people have knocked FineMolds on some details not being quite studio model accurate, or at least accurate to one specific studio model. Frankly, I don't entirely consider that fair criticism though since different scales of studio models had detail and dimension differences. As such, pinning down details to one specific model will make it less accurate to others. All things considered, while there are some minor differences, FineMolds has captured the appearance of the X-Wing in styrene form probably better then anyone else to date.

Last edited:
Well, i'm SO excited I got my hands on one of the 1:48 FM kits. Now... what's the difference between the 1:72 and 1:48 Fine Molds? (Except for size) : )
For some reason when i do a search for FineMolds XWing pictures.. most of them are for the smaller one...? Any reason why?

1/72 is way too small to appreciate IMHO, same goes for WWII or Fighter jets, at that size even with a top notch paintjob they still look like little toys, thats why I only put my $ and energy in SS or at least 1/48 and 1/32.

GFollano

If I got it right, the x wings shown in the clip when the rebels leave hyperspace (straight at you) and reaches DS II are MPC.

I believe the FM 1/72 was their earlier release, and the 1/48 is slightly newer. Maybe by a year or two? Besides that, I don't know anything else.

I have both (actually a couple 1/72's) and I am exceptionally slowly putting a 1/72 together. Trying to get back in practice, and improve my skills, so I can execute the big one as nicely as I can.

-Mike J.

The two Japanese X-Wings I am aware of are the Revell Takara offering and the Argonauts vinyl X-Wing.

Thank you, JM. I think I was conflating the two!

Concerning the MPC kit, I have to admit it may not exactly be state of the art today. But for its time it had the potential of producing a very nice model as the accurizing work needed to make it shine really isn't all that much. It had recessed panel lines (almost unheard of back then) and was a nice size.

Actually it didn't, at first. The 70s releases had raised panel lines, it wasn't until the kit was retooled in the 80s that the panel lines were recessed. You used to have to scrape the thing down and rescribe it yourself.

Add some strip styrene in spots for the gun mounts, replace the guns themselves with brass tubing, and it looks a lot better.

True enough. I've seen some painted up really well, and they look nice.

Looking over the details on the model, it seems pretty obvious that while MPC may not have had direct access to an ILM studio model, they certainly got at least some of the references from one (probably a pyro model).

Wasn't that set of Red 5 pics that were released with the CC kit reputedly taken while doing duty as reference for MPC?

Well, i'm SO excited I got my hands on one of the 1:48 FM kits. Now... what's the difference between the 1:72 and 1:48 Fine Molds? (Except for size) : )

Different parts breakdown, but was the actual master different? No idea, I only have the 1/72.

For some reason when i do a search for FineMolds XWing pictures.. most of them are for the smaller one...? Any reason why?

The 1/72 has been out a *lot* longer than the 1/48. Probably just that.

The 48th scale X-wing from FM has almost the same amount of parts as the 72nd scale offering. I don't have the parts count, but it's almost identical. I assume the snap feature limited the level of detail, but basically, the level of detail is also roughly the same and in some places, the 72nd scale outshines the 48th scale. For my money, the main thing the 48th scale holds over the 72nd scale is that it's larger and many people like that. It would be easier to do your own mods on something bigger, too. And it would be easier to run wires and LEDs in there to light things up.
Mike Todd

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back