Best Cap shield replicas?

got a couple more images from thomas derrick who has (or had) a full metal screen used one.

he has declined to send any detailed measurements due to its value. but im asking if he can send anymore close up stills.

View attachment 1408134
View attachment 1408135

also found this image of an auctioned off screen used shield... doesnt seem like the blue metal is perfectly flush with the rest of the shield which is interesting.

View attachment 1408137

and if memory serves correct, wasnt there someone here who was looking into getting everything machined with his own CNC machine?
Yes. I can confirm that one is 100% the real deal. I packed it during production. I have many items pass through my work, and had the shields come through my work during the first avenger. There was 6 in total. 2 perfect ones, two battle damaged ones. That being one of them. Then a plain unpainted one. Then a plain one with a couple of bullet marks. The lower pic wasnt one. They were never set in like that. They were also not PAINTED. They were anodised. Fully anodised red. Then the silver diamond cut back. Then the blue triangles were anodised too. To me it looking like it was made of two pieces the shield was span and grooved on the outside.The inside grooves were placed in different places. The centre circle on the insode looked like a cap up close ( I assume to hide the hole where the shield is span on a lathe. Then the inner frame which goes round the outside and holds the handles are bonded. The inside is also painted a matt silver.....
They looked very very nice in person. Most props look poor up close.

This is what the perfect ones looked like not sank in.

Attachments

• IMG_0191.JPG
    IMG_0191.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 461
  • IMG_0192.JPG
    IMG_0192.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 445
Any idea how thick this shield is? Or how thick each piece of metal that was assembled together is?

I'm talking to a local metal guy now about making one and it seems like he has the tools and skillsets to take this on however it's not going to be in the realm of cheap.

Trying to give him as much info as possible to get an accurate quote. I did request a 25" inch shield with the 9" star diameter.

And he's going to fabricate in pieces with properly blue and red anodization. The biggest hurdle of the classic quote is the collaborative leather work.

Furthermore I'm asking him for a quote on a production accurate prototype shield as that will be less expensive and is 100% metal construction.

So, if we're talking about making this the most accurate replica, why are we discussing a 25" shield? I was under the impression the shields were 24" or 26", correct?

Hmm I thought throughout the thread there was a concensus was 25"?

But that doesn't matter because I've actually asked him to revise to 24" as the prototype one that sold measured at 24"

I may be incorrect; I'm no expert on this prop. Still, it's my understanding that the TFA shields were either 24" or 26". Either way, I'll be interested if you can keep the cost in the ~$1000 range, like the Relicmaker example from a few years ago.

I believe the Hero shield in The First Avenger was 25" (though I may be mistaken) where the stunts were 24". The subsequent ones throughout the sequels were all 24". One of the shields used in TFA was indeed 26" but I don't recall which one specifically. I'm sure someone with better knowledge than me will chime in soon.

I think FULLBORE took measurements of the prop when he packed it.

Either way, thanks for taking this on jholt. There was a machinist who popped up on here about a year ago interested to take on the project but I'm not sure what happened to him.

Last edited:
I'm interested in a replica that's as close as we can get to the First Avenger hero. That's the iconic one, the one with full metal construction and the one with brighter colors - so that'd be the one I would want.

Yeah it definitely is going to cost more than $1K but I'm motivated to get a construction accurate shield done.

I did see the measurements Fullbore commented with in this thread that I passed along to the guy.

Yeah my understanding was 24" exclusively for the stunt ones as well.

However I want this one fabricated as well with a construction accurate back and it seems to be roughly 24"

Attachments

• 31190367_8.jpg
    31190367_8.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 176
  • 31190367_5-1.jpg
    31190367_5-1.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 162
I'm interested in a replica that's as close as we can get to the First Avenger hero. That's the iconic one, the one with full metal construction and the one with brighter colors - so that'd be the one I would want.
Yep that's the one I'm aiming to get done. Especially with the super reflection silver.

Attachments

• 36618676oj-1.jpg
    36618676oj-1.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 194
hey man

looking to have only one made as this is going to cost me a small fortune to get done.

I guess I'm asking aesthetically speaking. My girlfriend's birthday is next month and I want to get her a shield that looks the part and is close enough not to set off my OCD.

I've tried finding the eBay one posted a few pages back but those links don't work anymore and, let's be real, eBay China shields are confusing. You get good photos at first then the second or third has raised stripes instead of etched lines even tho the first pic shows etched lines. I tried finding the aluminum one with the hanging brackets on the back but they don't match up to the lines or other photos.

Any help would be nice.

Yes. I can confirm that one is 100% the real deal. I packed it during production. I have many items pass through my work, and had the shields come through my work during the first avenger. There was 6 in total. 2 perfect ones, two battle damaged ones. That being one of them. Then a plain unpainted one. Then a plain one with a couple of bullet marks. The lower pic wasnt one. They were never set in like that. They were also not PAINTED. They were anodised. Fully anodised red. Then the silver diamond cut back. Then the blue triangles were anodised too. To me it looking like it was made of two pieces the shield was span and grooved on the outside.The inside grooves were placed in different places. The centre circle on the insode looked like a cap up close ( I assume to hide the hole where the shield is span on a lathe. Then the inner frame which goes round the outside and holds the handles are bonded. The inside is also painted a matt silver.....
They looked very very nice in person. Most props look poor up close.

This is what the perfect ones looked like not sank in.
I drew this up years ago but the offset rings look to be so that the rings can stack on each other without falling through, with the center cap probably JB welded in place or something.

Also I'd like to think the bracket is set such that the star points the same way regardless of what arm is holding the shield, which makes sense from a symmetry standpoint and is something that very few replicas have gotten right except for the King Arts and Masterworks shields (and maybe EFX depending on their casting process).

Ratios correspond with a 24" diameter with 9" blue circle, photos below likely have some distortion from the camera but the numbers make sense

Attachments

• cap_shield_crossfade.png
    cap_shield_crossfade.png
    166.9 KB · Views: 158
  • proportions.jpg
    proportions.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:
I guess I'm asking aesthetically speaking. My girlfriend's birthday is next month and I want to get her a shield that looks the part and is close enough not to set off my OCD.

I've tried finding the eBay one posted a few pages back but those links don't work anymore and, let's be real, eBay China shields are confusing. You get good photos at first then the second or third has raised stripes instead of etched lines even tho the first pic shows etched lines. I tried finding the aluminum one with the hanging brackets on the back but they don't match up to the lines or other photos.

Any help would be nice.
The ones by DMAR on amazon are probably the most accurate looking ABS ones, a tiny bit smaller than the hero prop but more than good enough for most people I'd say

Thank you for the response.

Amazon has the Falcon shield for 100.99 right now. How's that compare to the show? I didn't find anything on it in this thread. The only thread I found was made before it actually came out and the comparison photos are horrendously skewed. I know it's Hasbro and their other shield was way off, but they did okay with the hammer so maybe this new shield isn't as far off. I'm asking for me this time because my girlfriend wants Steve's shield (she has it for Chris Evans) and I want one to toss around lol

The ones by DMAR on amazon are probably the most accurate looking ABS ones, a tiny bit smaller than the hero prop but more than good enough for most people I'd say
That thank you was for you, btw. The reply didn't stay clicked, hahaha

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back