Beginner Replicas?

allegedlynerdy

Hello!
I'm new to the world of replica props, and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for good starter projects that would introduce me to some of the basic skills of the trade. I have done a fair amount of scale modeling before through kits, so I feel confident I have a basic understanding of some techniques. If anyone has any tips/tricks those would also be appreciated!

What are you into? I usually pick my favorite movie and see what props I'm interested in replicating.

Hello!
I'm new to the world of replica props, and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for good starter projects that would introduce me to some of the basic skills of the trade. I have done a fair amount of scale modeling before through kits, so I feel confident I have a basic understanding of some techniques. If anyone has any tips/tricks those would also be appreciated!
I am sure you will get a ton of great advice really quick... I just wanted to say welcome aboard. :)

I'd say start with some simple hand props, maybe someone a bit detailed that you can work on for a while or try different techniques out of, (i.e., fake metal finishing, weathering techniques) My first prop was a 3D printed mangalore grenade from the fifth element it really allowed me to use different skills, from assembly to final finishing and display.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A NERF repaint is a really easy way to dip your toes in the water. Past that...I'd look at putting together a resin kit; be a lot of the same skills you've already developed.

Yeah, agreed. Get your hands on a moderately priced DIY kit and/or figurine and learn the process of maker.

Those two are perfect as introductions IMO, because they teach you a mindset. Like organization, planning, etc. Because when you need to apply primer, lay a basecoat, etc etc, it's a big learning curve.

Blasters are always a good start, because of size, detail, skill level required and potential finish. I would recommend you go to Doopydoos, buy a resin kit, build it, which is usually as simple as gluing it together, paint and weather and doneski!.

You're end up with a nice accurate prop that can be handled, has great size and weight, looks good displayed and doesn't break the bank. You'll learn assembly, painting and weathering techniques and they usually always look great even if you do a few things wrong.

Of course the blasters are Star Wars blasters, but if you don't like SW, well, then I can't help you:lol

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back