Battleship <Spoilers> don't look if you have not seen it.

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Movie Talk' started by Contec, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Contec

Contec Master Member

Just came back from seeing it....WOW, what an action filled movie!
    Somethings was unreal (what do you expect from a movie about aliens) but for an action movie it was great.

The Aliens design's was nice, The suits was cool looking and hope someone here makes one :)

That Alexander skarsgÄrd died almost right in the beginning of the movie was a surprise, so was not having Liam Nesson more than in the beginning and in the end.

The "drop anchor and spin the ship around" scene was cool. So was the scenes with the black amputee guy.

The Story:

I have a feeling that the alien's was not really Evil in the movie.
    First the Earth ships Honks at the Aliens, who reply's with their bigger horns---Which also destroys the glass on the destroyer ship (but not on the little dingy boat that is just right next to the Aliens :confused) The US ship feels that destroying a ships windows are an act of war so they lob a round on the Alien ship....and the war is on.

The aliens also only attack what they feel (sees) as a threat. Their nifty little helmet has that pop up display with Green for No Threat and Red for Threat.
    I think the whole thing was a misunderstanding from the start.

Link to the Game it's based on:
    The battleship b1...c5 etcscene was good and fitted in the movie without feeling like a joke. Sadly, they did not have a "you sunk my battleship" line in the movie. tho they had a line like "they are not gonna sink this battleship"
    Great Movie and I'm gonna get the DVD when it comes.:thumbsup

2. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

I'll catch it on Netflix if I want a laugh, but I'm so not going to spend money on a movie marketed based on a board game. If you want to make an action movie, that's fine, but try to tie it to a board game, too far for me.

3. aeonpulse

aeonpulse Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I haven't seen this, nor am I going to go out of my way to, but I'm sure I'll eventually catch it once it pops up on NetFlix. I'm not at all surprised that Neeson and Skarsgard were in it as little as they were, something tells me they prpbably weren't too upset about it either.

4. Contec

Contec Master Member

It's not that much tied to the board game. I think they just took a that part of the game so that they could cash in from Hasbro to sponsor them. The also seemed to be Sponsored by LG because most of the cellphones they use is an LG phone.
    Cheap tricks to let other company's pay for the movie.

5. Riceball

Riceball Sr Member

I'm torn on whether or not to see the movie, at first I had no interest but from watching a couple of scenes at WonderCon it didn't look quite as bad as the trailers made it out to be. I might just watch for the convenience store break in scene alone, that was a pretty funny scene and might be worth the price of admission.

6. 0neiros

0neiros Master Member

I agree. I'm holding out for either Chutes and Ladders, or Candyland. Kerplunk in a pinch.

7. aeonpulse

Mousetrap, or Tornado Rex. Maybe Crossfire (no, not the CNN show).

8. SVTStingRay

SVTStingRay Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

how do they explain the battleships...........seeing as tho all of ours are in mothballs or museums.

9. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

The same explanation of why there are aliens floating in the Pacific Ocean. It's a movie.

10. Nwerke

Nwerke Master Member

Aren't they all museum ships now? I thought the last couple had been de-mothballed and handed over.

11. JediG60racer

JediG60racer Sr Member

No, there are still a few up in the boneyards. No more New Jersey types, just smaller older ones. Washington class, I believe.

12. Contec

Contec Master Member

When the aliens destroys all the new ships they sailers only have one ship still left inside the "force bubble"
    They start up the old Battleship Missouri with the help of old veteran sailers.
    Apparently the old ship still have fuel and a couple of live rounds inside it.

It is a GOOD ACTION FILLED MOVIE.

13. crabra comander

crabra comander Sr Member

[​IMG]

14. Riceball

Riceball Sr Member

Not that it really matters but our last battleships weren't New Jersey class, they were Iowa class battleships; everybody just forgets that since the New Jersey and Missouri are probably the most famous of them.

15. Davard74

Davard74 Member

Actually all that are left are the Iowa's. All 4 are museums now.

The Wisconsin is right next to Norfolk at Nauticus, a marine / naval museum.

Battleship Wisconsin | Nauticus

The Iowa is in Ca. I think. Missouri is at Pearl Harbor, and the New Jersy is well... in New Jersey

Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
  16. ralphee

ralphee Sr Member

I just think Aliens would find better things to do than come to Earth and hunt for Human seamen.

lee

17. knightdriver2001

knightdriver2001 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Haaaaaaa! I see what you did there! :love

18. Flagg

Flagg Sr Member

You sure? They seem to spend a lot of time doing "The Hillbilly Butt Probe" so hunting seamen seems right up their alley.

19. crabra comander

crabra comander Sr Member

Yes, Aliens love to remove the sexual organs from cows. At least that's what the farmer on Discovery said.

I think it's a cover up.

Nobody wants the forensics to show a cow was diddled.

20. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

It'll be a good one to get for 5.00 later on.

21. Goonie

Goonie Sr Member

If they wanted to make a good battleship movie, Steven Seagal, Tommy Lee Jones, and a topless Erika Eleniak should've been in it.:love:cool

22. Contec

Contec Master Member

Am i the Only one that have SEEN the movie?.... It's a Good movie.

23. ralphee

ralphee Sr Member

Ok, butt probes, seamen and alleys, there may be some innuendo in all of this!

Lee

24. NuRF

NuRF Well-Known Member

I saw it today. Thought it was a great action film. Hated Rihanna. But hey, you can't have everything. I disagree with your thoughts of the aliens intentions though. When Hopper had physical contact with the first alien, there's sone sort of unintentional psychic link-thing. You see the aliens conquest plans in his eyes. Definately an invasion. I was surprised, considering the current trend, that I was the only person who stayed for the end credit scene.

25. Neo-uk

Neo-uk Well-Known Member

:rolleyes

Yeah but the Pirates films are based on a rickety old Disney ride and look how popular they are, plus all the money they made.

26. Contec

Contec Master Member

The alien mind meld thing was over in two seconds. I thought it looked like it was the aliens planet that was destroyed or wartorn. Then Hopper had that line " It's bad....It's we gonna need a new planet bad!"
    Blink and you miss it..

27. tain669

tain669 Sr Member

Battleship

You know. I'm looking forward to seeing this film..i know the plot is over the top. But when do you see the old Battlewagons back in action in a film.Space Cruiser Yamamto for us yanks..

28. knightdriver2001

knightdriver2001 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Re: Battleship

Just got back from seeing it. Very good popcorn flick. Lots of action too. It's long though, coming in at 2 hours 11 minutes.

I was surprised on how much they actually worked the board game into this. Subtle things that you pick up during the film.

I'd see it again.

29. yt

yt Sr Member

So I saw it tonight, surprisingly good. First movie since Top Gun to make being in the Navy look cool. I could have done without Rhianna.

30. p51

p51 Sr Member

Not a bad movie, and yes, they DO work in how the game is played into a part of the movie in a way that makes reasonable sense (I never would have guessed anyone could write the game into the movie in a way that won't make you laugh but I gotta give them credit for how they did it). Just look past all the holes in logic, physics and military reality and enjoy yourself.
    No spoilers, but YES, the USS Missouri does slug it out with an alien spacecraft near the end. I was amazed at how good a job they did with the digital stuff, it really looks like they got her out to sea again in some parts of the film (in other spots the movement of the ship isn't realistic, you'll know it when you see it but it's really not too bad). That to me was worth the price of admission, just to see the ending of the film. Don't leave your seat for the last about 40 minutes or so. Great role by a real-life combat wounded vet as well. Just cross the "Transformers" movies with "Independence Day" and you get the idea.
    Good "popcorn flick," I really liked it and will surely get it on DVD when it comes out.

31. Risu

Risu Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Did Liam Neeson say "You sunk my battleship!"?

32. p51

p51 Sr Member

Not that I recall, especially since no battleships (real or CGI) were sunk in the film...

33. Contec

Contec Master Member

Only one of the old ww2 vets said something similar to that during the final battle. " they ain't gonna sink this ship" or something like that.

34. batmann539

batmann539 Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I really didn't plan on seeing this movie but after reading these reviews it sounds like something I may go see now.

Sean

35. EyeofSauron

EyeofSauron Master Member

actually he said, "they aint gonna sink this battleship"

horrible movie, wooden acting, rihanna, etc

all good reasons not to watch this.
    the effects are meh, good enough for cinema, but didnt overwhelm me, the story was crap, the characters were horrible, and at least in the movie i watched, they bleeped out the curses, or laid some sound over them. Why on earth would anyone do that?
    like:
    Mahalo, mother-(cannonfire)

horrible over all. dont go see it.

36. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

Waiting for Netflix. Streaming. I don't want to use a DVD in my queue for this.

37. aeonpulse

I feel like the traier should have included a disclaimer that read, "No, nobody actually says YOU SANK MY BATTLESHIP, please stop asking".

38. terryr

terryr Sr Member

I saw bits of 'American Warship' on TV a few days ago. It's an obvious ripoff, with a battleship fighting aliens. Mario Van Pebbles and Carl Weathers do just enough to get their paycheck.

Battleship is probably Shakespeare compared to this turkey.

39. goapebilly

goapebilly Active Member

Battleship is not a piece of cimema history, but its worth the watch on the big screen, just a updated version of Independence day on water. Not any worse then the Avengers, big screen,lots of action .I know most people have gone crazy over the Avengers ,but i wasnt impressed .Your typical action movies for the summer.

40. EyeofSauron

comparing avengers to battleship is like comparing godzilla and jurassic park

both have big lizards, still the films are nothing alike

appart from which, Avengers have all good actors, battleship has wood puppets, and rihanna

battleship effects are mediocre at best, if you look into them, while avengers nailed the effects.

Also Avengers has a story that is based on a Story that reaches back so far, and is also backed by a few other good movies.

saying Battleship was as good as Avengers is just plain stupid sorry.

41. p51

p51 Sr Member

...In your opinion only. I saw both and was roughly equally impressed by each.
    Calling someone else's opinion of a movie, "Stupid" because you personally don't agree is the height of childishness.

42. EyeofSauron

well, so be it. i might have gotten it over the wrong way, because the film is just meant to fail. it could have never done any good, to make this film.

They might have made the best of what they had with the script, its still a stunningly stupid movie, especially when you make it pg-13 with bleeping out curse words. If you are a fan of movies with mile deep plot holes, decent cgi, and bad acting, that is too long for its own good, then more power to you. My oppinion is as good as any.
    but in my oppinion, watching this movie is a waste of time, because it just doesnt add up, and is overall pretty shallow and (in my oppinion, so that you are happy) fairly stupid.
    You just can not compare it to the avengers (which didnt pull me out of my shoes either, but was in a whole different league than this trainwreck), because they had good actors, a good director, a decent script, good dialog, it all tied together, and was built over time.

its not just a coincidence that Avengers gets a Rating of around 90% overall via rottentomatoes and imdb, while Battleship bombs. so its not just my oppinion. Well, so i am childish

43. terryr

terryr Sr Member

I guess I'll just read the book....I mean play the game.

44. yt

yt Sr Member

Yes, I liked Independence Day and Battleship as well.:behave

45. Lear60man

Lear60man Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hahaha I was flipping back and forth between this and ID4 Sat night. How did they end up killing the alien vessel?

46. TK9120

TK9120 Sr Member

I read where it only made like $25 million. They're saying it may be another John Carter.I thought about seeing this but after hearing it was like Independence Day, I'll wait for tv. Then I saw that Rihanna (sp?) was in it and I'll probably never see it. I can't stand her. She's not an actor.

47. tain669

tain669 Sr Member

Guys.. This is the summer film season.Like I said.The plot so over the top but I still feel that its not in good form to call one opinion childish is not in calling for the fun of seeing movies.If you must disagree.. Be gentle men about it..OR I'll shock ya..Just kidding guys :behave

48. tain669

tain669 Sr Member

:thumbsup

49. terryr

terryr Sr Member

Don't know. I couldn't take any more. When they used their big guns to shoot at something right beside them I turned it off.

50. SVTStingRay

SVTStingRay Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

it wasnt half-bad, no real reason to base it on the board game, but it from hasblo, what do you expect.
    :unsure