Batman V Superman Batarang

13doctorwho

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I've been thinking about making the new batarang from Batman V Superman. I decided to start by modeling it in SolidWorks. There is limited reference material, so I did the best I could with the pictures available. I know it's not perfect, but it will improve as more pictures become available. Take a look and let me know what you think.

bvs batarang.JPG

Looks good chief, though not certain it is as curved on the sides as that. And theres a bit more of a drop off at the points. Heres the reference shots I used, and my design also (not claiming its accurate btw, just what I've done so far, still needs work!)

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• bvs.png
    bvs.png
    909 KB · Views: 4,739
  • bvs001_batarang_render.PNG
    bvs001_batarang_render.PNG
    222.5 KB · Views: 4,590
Thank you for the better picture! Yours looks really good. I definitely see improvements I can make on mine. Where did you get the picture? how big do you guestimate it's size?

I made mine 195mm at its widest point and then scaled things to there - just so it can fit on a 200x200 print bed really. Printed it out and it looks a good size. I had heard from people at Comic Con that it was around 8 inches wide, so based it (very roughly) on that!

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2715.JPG
    IMG_2715.JPG
    82.8 KB · Views: 4,372
Last edited:
Yours looks really good. I'm improving mine based on the pictures you shared. It's so awesome to have descent reference images. I remember pausing video tapes to make sketches of props before the internet made all this information available.

Now now, lets not get all heated.

Any way, even if it was my design, he wouldn't have "stolen" it because I was giving it away.

Anyhow, Fawbish, the only thing i would perhaps look at changing on yours are the indented lines. I think the angled ones need to come a little further out towards the end points as below

attachment.php.jpg

Here's my improved model. There is still a section I haven't figured out how to do.

The Closer model
bvs batarang.JPG

The Detail that's driving me baty...
bvs batarang reference trouble.jpg

Fawbish, I wasn't trying to insinuate, but I'm sorry that it sounded like that. I mistook your post and that's my fault, but I hope we're on good terms.

Anyways, great job on the print.

Here's my improved model. There is still a section I haven't figured out how to do.

The Closer model
View attachment 507885

The Detail that's driving me baty...
View attachment 507884

I struggled with that too mate. My plan is that once I have mine in a nice finished state, I'm going to sand away that edge (similar to how it looks like the actual batarangs were grinded) and then put some weathering silver on it. I couldnt quite figure out how to get that complex curve done on it with my limited design skills.

The bevel is a tricky one as the outer edge (green arrow) is curved but where it meets the flat of the face (red arrow) its a straight line with two opposing angles at the ends, without some 3d magic i think careful sanding may be the only option

image2.JPGNot sure who made the 3D model i used to get these printed , since the web is this vast false claim monster, but anyways i got this pretty close to the real deal prop model and i have to say that 3D printing is a fantastic tool to get these done on the pretty cheap. Best part is that i am getting one smoothed with urethane ,that gives you this amazingly smooth finish that cant be beat. But back on point if you guys have .STL models that you would share, i would love to get as many models printed, if you dont mind.
I just love collecting variants of a single piece .

I forgot to mention that I got this printed out at roughly 6.8 inch in length, it seemed about right with the actual prop measurements

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back