Batman V Superman Batarang

Discussion in 'DC Costumes and Props' started by 13doctorwho, Jul 27, 2015.

Tags:
  1. 13doctorwho

13doctorwho Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I've been thinking about making the new batarang from Batman V Superman. I decided to start by modeling it in SolidWorks. There is limited reference material, so I did the best I could with the pictures available. I know it's not perfect, but it will improve as more pictures become available. Take a look and let me know what you think.

bvs batarang.JPG

2. Fawbish

Fawbish Sr Member

Looks good chief, though not certain it is as curved on the sides as that. And theres a bit more of a drop off at the points. Heres the reference shots I used, and my design also (not claiming its accurate btw, just what I've done so far, still needs work!)

[​IMG][​IMG]

Attached Files:

3. 13doctorwho

Thank you for the better picture! Yours looks really good. I definitely see improvements I can make on mine. Where did you get the picture? how big do you guestimate it's size?

Fawbish likes this.
  4. Fawbish

Fawbish Sr Member

I made mine 195mm at its widest point and then scaled things to there - just so it can fit on a 200x200 print bed really. Printed it out and it looks a good size. I had heard from people at Comic Con that it was around 8 inches wide, so based it (very roughly) on that!

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
  5. 13doctorwho

Yours looks really good. I'm improving mine based on the pictures you shared. It's so awesome to have descent reference images. I remember pausing video tapes to make sketches of props before the internet made all this information available.

6. redsilver

redsilver New Member

Fawbish, isn't that nogga_nootch's design?

7. Mystery

Mystery Well-Known Member

8. Fawbish

Fawbish Sr Member

No, it isnt. But thankyou for insinuating that I would steal someones design. Very classy.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks chief.

Mystery likes this.
  9. nogga_nootch

nogga_nootch Well-Known Member

Now now, lets not get all heated.

Any way, even if it was my design, he wouldn't have "stolen" it because I was giving it away.

Anyhow, Fawbish, the only thing i would perhaps look at changing on yours are the indented lines. I think the angled ones need to come a little further out towards the end points as below

attachment.php.jpg

Hazmat and Fawbish like this.
  10. Fawbish

Fawbish Sr Member

Noted, cheers. Will modify at some point.

Hazmat likes this.
  11. 13doctorwho

Here's my improved model. There is still a section I haven't figured out how to do.

The Closer model
    bvs batarang.JPG

The Detail that's driving me baty...
    bvs batarang reference trouble.jpg

12. redsilver

redsilver New Member

Fawbish, I wasn't trying to insinuate, but I'm sorry that it sounded like that. I mistook your post and that's my fault, but I hope we're on good terms.

Anyways, great job on the print.

Fawbish likes this.
  13. Yarooon

Yarooon Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

nice work here is my proces ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438241121.101731.jpg
    being cnced by friend almost done

Fawbish likes this.
  14. Fawbish

Fawbish Sr Member

I struggled with that too mate. My plan is that once I have mine in a nice finished state, I'm going to sand away that edge (similar to how it looks like the actual batarangs were grinded) and then put some weathering silver on it. I couldnt quite figure out how to get that complex curve done on it with my limited design skills.

15. Yarooon

sanding is an option ;) ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438243531.992984.jpg
    my first prototype!

Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
  16. Fawbish

Fawbish Sr Member

Looks awesome man!

17. nogga_nootch

nogga_nootch Well-Known Member

The bevel is a tricky one as the outer edge (green arrow) is curved but where it meets the flat of the face (red arrow) its a straight line with two opposing angles at the ends, without some 3d magic i think careful sanding may be the only option
    [​IMG]

18. 13doctorwho

nogga_nootch EXACTLY! I think it will have to be sanded. I've been using SolidWorks for 12 years and can't figure out how to model it.

19. fanger54

fanger54 New Member

image2.JPG Not sure who made the 3D model i used to get these printed , since the web is this vast false claim monster, but anyways i got this pretty close to the real deal prop model and i have to say that 3D printing is a fantastic tool to get these done on the pretty cheap. Best part is that i am getting one smoothed with urethane ,that gives you this amazingly smooth finish that cant be beat. But back on point if you guys have .STL models that you would share, i would love to get as many models printed, if you dont mind.
    I just love collecting variants of a single piece .

20. fanger54

fanger54 New Member

I forgot to mention that I got this printed out at roughly 6.8 inch in length, it seemed about right with the actual prop measurements

21. Fawbish

Fawbish Sr Member

Where did you download the file to print with fanger54 ? If it was at MyMiniFactory - my file has recently become live there in the last few days. Obviously can't tell if your print is mine or not, so this isnt a claim of course.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
  22. bleahhh

bleahhh Active Member

nice work! will u be sharing the files?

23. fanger54

fanger54 New Member

Fawbish , Dint get it from myminifactory, got it from here
    http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:951425

Seemed like a good model so that's what i went with and it was the first i found.
    I honestly want to get as many different models printed for my collection.
    I like that each model has a slight difference in look.
    Here's the urethane smoothed batarang next to a normal printed one, its crazy shiny

sdfsfdgf.JPG

sdfsfdgf.JPG

24. fanger54

fanger54 New Member

Hope i wont and don't offend anyone about asking for your models so i can print them.
    I have zero to no skills at 3d modeling and I find it impressive that you can go from a photo reference of a prop to a 3d model to a solid object .
    One model i would like to get is the one for this batarang,.
    If anyone has one or is working on one and does not mind sharing then please do share.
    DSC04541 (1).jpg

25. 13doctorwho

I'm getting closer... I may even print this one!

bvs batarang.JPG

bvs batarang dimetric.JPG

Shayne, Fawbish and reaton89 like this.
  26. Fawbish

Fawbish Sr Member

Where is that image from mate? Doesnt look like the official props but they still look really good. Might have a go at designing that type.

https://www.myminifactory.com/object/11227

thats my design, ignore their print quality - as you can see above it prints out quite well in ABS.

27. teragon

teragon Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

28. Fawbish

Fawbish Sr Member

So there are two types of seemingly "main" batarangs then. The later ones posted here look a tad smaller. Absolutely can't get enough of that steampunk-esque bat helmet type thing

29. fanger54

fanger54 New Member

Yep there are two types of batarangs and I am looking for the one i posted since i cant find any 3d models for it.

30. Fawbish

Fawbish Sr Member

Have had a small crack at it. 8mm thick, 165mm wide, 65mm tall. There are obvious improvements to make, like the wings being a bit narrow at the top etc.

reference

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Edit: Version 2 with slightly wider "shoulders"

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

ps. sorry for uploading so many I dont mean to thread hijack!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 12, 2015
    nogga_nootch likes this.
  31. fanger54

fanger54 New Member

Fawbish once you are done with the model and if you make and stl file would you mind sharing it my way, I am liking what you have going there.

Also got in the batarangs and the printer cheapen out the order so there was holes and issues with the batch of batarangs i got and had to sand them down to get them smoother then what they where. I guess its part of the 3d printing game but still impressed by the fast that you can turn a 2d image into a tangible 3d item.

32. Fawbish

Fawbish Sr Member

I've just uploaded it to MyMiniFactory, once it's approved I'll send you the link chief.

33. VinXero

VinXero Active Member

Can I also get the link?

34. Fawbish

Fawbish Sr Member

https://www.myminifactory.com/users/Fawbish

Thats where I upload my stl's, though that Type 2 batarang wont be up there for a few more days yet.

Another user has already used one of my stls to make molds for selling etc, which I'm fine with if I am contacted and then given credit for original design, which he did. Personal printing of course, knock yourself out! More downloads and likes the better! haha.
    @13doctorwho how is your design coming along mate?

35. 13doctorwho

I am waiting on the first print from Shapeways. It shipped Monday so I should have it sometime this week. I'll post picture when it arrives. If I like it I'll make it available on Shapeways.

Fawbish likes this.
  36. Yarooon

ill leave this here ( cnced) ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440090198.130887.jpg

37. Lightslinger

Lightslinger Jr Member

I'll keep an eye out for these to get up on your page as well, thanks for sharing it!

Please forgive my newbness, I'm totally new to cosplay and 3D printing, learning a lot the past few days though.

My goal with my Batsuit is to use it for charity purposes but the reason I'm building it is to follow in the footsteps of the late Lenny Robinson who used his Batsuit to visit sick kids in the hospital. We have an amazing children's hospital in Nashville, TN, Monroe Carell Jr. Vanderbilt Children's Hospital, and it's been a dream of mine to build a crazy awesome Batsuit and visit those kids there, hopefully bring a little happiness to some very, very sick kids. A buddy of mine has even joined up and he's buying/making a really cool Captain America Age of Ultron suit.

Reason for the backstory, I'd love to see if a 3D printer company could make smallish versions of that batarang in something like black rubber, that would be an amazing gift to each of the kids if I can get the price per unit pretty reasonable.

38. Fawbish

Fawbish Sr Member

One of the materials that is being more widely used now is NinjaFlex - can't say I'm personally au fait with it, or its cost, but I can't imagine that it is too horrendous. A batarang would be perfect for the material as it is relatively flat, low, no horrible shapes to print etc. If you can source a local printer near you (try 3D Hubs.com) and see if they print in Ninja flex, feel free to use any of my stl files or ask about if anyone has one, this can then be forwarded to the local printer for reproduction. They might charge more than a friend etc, but they will charge less than Shapeways etc.

Or you can have someone print it in ABS/PLA (1 off print), and create your own mold/cast? this would bring the costs down, and put the experience back in your hands

- - - Updated - - -

bloody beautiful

39. fanger54

fanger54 New Member

Fawbish, ive seen your batarang , i thought it was the same model i got to be printed but yours is quite different and i will gladly get one printed for sure... everyone makes their model different , which is reason enough for me to get it done. Also yours is flat on one side which is probably going to print out easier.

40. 13doctorwho

lightslinger. A simple cheap way to make batarangs is black craft foam. A 9X12 sheet is $1.99 at craft stores. It comes in 1/8th inch and 1/4 inch. The great thing about it is with a template you can cut them out with scissors. Each sheet would make a ton of batarangs... they would be cheap and safe for little kids. You could sit and watch TV and cut out hundreds of them for almost no money. They are so simple to make you might even convince friends to cut some out. 3d printed ones would be cooler, but a lot more expensive. Molded ones would be cheaper than printed ones, but still a little expensive. It really depends on how many you plan to give out.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2015
    Fawbish likes this.
  41. Fawbish

Fawbish Sr Member

The foam is a good shout.

@fanger54 @Lightslinger @VinXero the 2nd type of Batarang is now ready for download from MyMiniFactory if anyone is bothered.

42. Yarooon

do you have a link

43. Fawbish

Fawbish Sr Member

Post 34 chief.

44. 13doctorwho

I just got my batarang from Shapeways and I am very happy with how it came out. It's not perfect but I think it's a pretty good replica considering the movie hasn't come out yet. Take a look at the pictures and let me know what you think. Please note, the pictures are unfinished prints.

bvs batarang raw.jpg

bvs batarang raw (oblique).jpg

Fawbish likes this.
  45. Fawbish

Fawbish Sr Member

Top notch. Looks great man! They use a different printing process I think so its beautiful to see a print with no lines/very little! Compared to my cheap little printer anyway haha.

46. 13doctorwho

Here is a little more progress on my Batarang. I'm not done yet, but I'm pleased with how it's going. Take a look and let me know what you think/

BVS batarang.jpg

47. 13doctorwho

Here is my complete prop. It's not perfect, but I'm extremely happy with it. It's available on Shapeways. Take a look and let me know what you think.

BVS batarang.jpg

48. Fawbish

Fawbish Sr Member

Crackin' :thumbsup

49. Yarooon

here is mine
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Fawbish likes this.
  50. thegbuddies

thegbuddies New Member

hey i have no skill in any sort of softwear and wordering if any one can send a 2d template my way so i can print it out and make it out of wood thanks so much