Batman Returns stupid, freaking question!

Funky

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
The wife and I watched Batman Returns for like the 20th time (over 20 years) and we revisited it tonight.
My question: Did Selena DIE when Max pushed her out the window and the bitey cats magically brought her back to life? OR was she unconscious and woke up with brain damage that caused her to “transform”?

I‘m only posting this as the wife and I disagree and we have agreed to go with the RPFs decision.
So, what say you?

Last edited:
The wife and I watched Batman Returns for like the 20th time (over 20 years) and we revisited it tonight.
My question: Did Selena DIE when Max pushed her out the window and the bitey cats magically brought her back to life? OR was she unconscious and woke up with brain damage that caused her to “transform”?

I‘m only posting this as the wife and I disagree and we have agreed to go with the RPFs decision.
So, what say you?

Since the Batman movie world had no plce for magici i.e. it was not introduced before Ras al Ghul it indeed is the latter. The scene echoes Bruce Waynes transformation through the bats and all of Batmans villains are suffering from Traumata, as does Batman himself.

So, what say you?
The bitey cats brought her back.

So, what say you?
I like to think that for Selena's death and "resurrection", it was a purposefully intended to be left open, and that the audiences are left to make the decision on their own if she was really dead and the cats brought her back, or if she suffered severe physical trauma and has been psychologically effected by it. There's no simple answer for the question. TVTropes refers to the concept as "Maybe Magic Maybe Mundane", which even lists this under the live-action film examples for this film:

Selina Kyle's 'powers' in Batman Returns. The supernatural would definitely explain how a mousy assistant could gain the ability to actually hold her own against Batman and survive fatal falls and several gunshots. Then again maybe her brush with near-death simply pushed her over the edge and turned her into a combination of the Determinator and The Unfettered, making her run on sheer willpower.

So, the answer to your question is: "Yes or no, depending on what you believe in."

Having known what its like to have your head hit the cobblestones (and curl up in a ball while the rest of the 'runners' hop over you), with bruises and no long term damage (one can hope), I would say she didnt die.

quick google to substantiate my claim :cool:

have nine lives​

to keep managing to get out of difficult or dangerous situations without being hurt or harmed
I think this is probably going to be the end, although he has shown he is a political cat with far more than nine lives.

Yeah I've always assumed it was just a near-death fall that caused brain injuries.

Crazy stuff does happen. A few years ago there was a guy who jumped from a 40-story window and landed on a car down at street level. He survived with broken legs. The fall was nearly 400 feet.

I always assumed it was magic with her brought back to life.

The coming back with just brain damage works too but it doesnt explain to me how she survived 8 near-death experiences, the most shocking of which is the gun shocks and the electric shock kiss of death at the end. Even if some of the shots didnt hit vital part, the shock at the end seems pretty fatal but Selina might be innately more resilient.

A5ABC4D3-4A77-4773-B0EA-9703515D95B1.jpeg

The Director said that she was knocked unconscious in the fall, and the cats saved her by keeping her warm but the experience unhinged her.

David.

Often I have suffered grievous life-threatening injuries and been brought miraculously back to life by allowing the rabid felines of the streets to chew on my fingertips followed by me tossing kitty litter into my mouth. It’s really quite “everyday” and normal.

Haven’t the rest of you?

Last edited:
Often I have suffered grievous life threatening injuries and been brought miraculously back to life by allowing the rabid felines of the streets to chew on my fingertips followed by me tossing kitty litter into my mouth. It’s really quite “everyday” and normal.

Haven’t the rest of you?
Bwahahahahaha!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back