Batman Begins DEMON Work In Progress..

Discussion in 'DC Costumes and Props' started by DAVIDYR1, Jun 8, 2006.

1. DAVIDYR1

DAVIDYR1 Official Licensee RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

"Who are you working for....."

Just the clay build up...gives you an idea of where I'm going with it though.
    Fun sculpt...will be a wearable prosthetic.
    Seems 'awkeward' now because the teeth are separate but once it's on and with the teeth in, I'm hoping it gives it that distorted movie look Bale had.
    We'll soon see...:)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Enjoy.

David
    **edited to correct the funniest spelling mistake ever...***

2. Nexus6

Nexus6 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

OH MAN, this has the potential to be a totally kick-butt piece. If the mouth will be slightly opened or a least the teeth showing, whoever buys/paints it could conceivably add the effect of that black, goopy, slime that was dripping from his mouth as he interrogated Crane...

3. LogansRunner

LogansRunner Well-Known Member

Looks really good.

4. TomSpinaDesigns

TomSpinaDesigns Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

off to a good start. Cool idea for a project.

Tom

5. hydin

hydin Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

sweeeeeettttt......

add in some red LEDs set with some sort of diffusing setup in the "eyes" and you have one scary batman.

it was my favorite of all the movie "incarnations" of him.

cant wait to see how you complete it.
    chris

6. DAVIDYR1

Thanks guys..
    It's just the clay build up...no 'real' deatails yet. Should be fun to wear though....:)
    The only other 'real' life-sorta head sculpt I've done is Darkness from Legend. I dont think Predator counts because he's so orgainc that adding your own flair to the sculpture really doesnt detract from the overall look..in the case of Darkness and now this Demonbat well, different story all together so it wont really be easy for me because I'm kinda out of my comfort zone but....if you dont try....:)
    We'll see how this goes soon enough.
    All comments much appreciated. :)

<div class='quotetop'>(Nexus6 @ Jun 8 2006, 08:48 PM) [snapback]1258738[/snapback]</div>
    It's going to be a wearable prosthetic. Once on, and the teeth in, the mouth area looks like (or at least I'm hoping it will) it has thick gums...almost housing mandibles. It wont be a bust...I guess I could cast it up as such but the mouth would be closed and without the teeth.
    More to come. :)

Hey Tom, how are you buddy? Ya know...with a funky paint job this mask could be right at home in the cantina scene from ANH... :p

David

7. Boba Frett

Boba Frett Sr Member

Very cool idea :thumbsup

8. DAVIDYR1

<div class='quotetop'>(Boba Frett @ Jun 9 2006, 06:57 AM) [snapback]1258904[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks buddy. :thumbsup

Quick update...

Some funky lighting to see if I'm on the right track with the skin texture and stuff....Fun sculpt. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh and yes..the rest of the body is coming also...:)
    Feedback or critiques always welcome.

David

9. rollerboi

rollerboi Sr Member

Wow, nice progress. I felt .. fearful .. looking at the most recent pictures. :)

Any chance of other perspectives besides the profile shot?

10. Gordon Gekko

Gordon Gekko Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Ahhh Jeez. That is Awesome...

11. fettster

fettster Sr Member

*, that looks impressive. keep up the excellent work

12. TazVader

TazVader Sr Member

Magic my man...just magic:)

TAZ

13. Simmon M

Simmon M Sr Member

Great sculpt. Your latest pics look very nice. Can't wait to see more progress shots.

14. KAVEEKS

KAVEEKS New Member

great idea for a project, can't wait to see more progress pics

15. DAVIDYR1

Thanks everyone. :)
    I havent updated this thread in a while, and it really is nice to see and read this kind of feedback. Mucho thanks to all. B)

Those asking for other angles....

A bit more done. The base of the neck is charred or melted looking, so if you're wondering why the neck on the right side looks weird...it's cause I'm trying to get it to look right..:)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Getting there...just like everything else...getting there.:)

David

16. JRX

JRX Well-Known Member

Wow ... that looks insane - :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup ....

Great work - :) - can't wait to see it finished.

17. Ramiel

Ramiel Sr Member

You've got some enviable skills mate.
    Really. ;)

18. oxbeard

oxbeard Well-Known Member

Amazing.... Can't wait to see more...

19. Simmon M

Simmon M Sr Member

This is looking better and better.

20. RacerX45

RacerX45 Well-Known Member

That's really coming along nicely. Love the vein in his head.

Randy

21. reevz666

reevz666 Well-Known Member

Sweet Jesus.... :eek

22. BurntKona

BurntKona New Member

Coming along nicely, and an interesting mask to try and recreate

23. rollerboi

rollerboi Sr Member

Thanks. Phew.. nice progress. :)

24. Duck9000

Duck9000 Well-Known Member

Great sculpt. :thumbsup

25. trooperprop

trooperprop Well-Known Member

THis looks wonderfull... Very original.
    Could you tell me what type of clay you use?

Greetings from the Netherlands,

BasD

26. fettster

fettster Sr Member

keep the pics coming

27. Darth Brass

Darth Brass Sr Member

AAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Looks great.

28. Red Five

Red Five Well-Known Member

Terrific work. :thumbsup
    Kinda' looks like how Bruce Wayne might feel with a hangover. :p

I'm also interested in what type of sculpting clay you used?

Are you self taught?

29. DAVIDYR1

<div class='quotetop'>(Red Five @ Jul 22 2006, 12:50 PM) [snapback]1285700[/snapback]</div>

Thanks everyone... Been a little while since I updated this so figured it was time. :)

I really love Chavant Soft NSP...it's a great clay for organic sculpting, and for me I also use it for mechanical work also. Others may go with harder clays....but I'm pretty happy with Chavant Soft. Whatever your hardness preference, I suggest you check out Chavant because they've got a lot of different clays...

Chavant

And yes, I'm self taught so that means I've wasted a lot of money making mistakes in the past...and some even now a days.... :cry but it's always going to be a learning experience. As long as I'm having fun, mistakes or no mistakes I'll always push forward. :)

Here are some of the latest ones...You can clearly see which of the two sides is still needing some work. I thought some of the dramatically shaded pics (LOL that's a funny sentence) looked cool so I just uploaded all the ones I took for now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This will be a wearable prosthetic and there is also the chest....and in time I'll do a full suit even if we never really got one in the movie past the waist. :)

Enjoy.

David

30. Vandaldeca

Vandaldeca New Member

great now ive creamed my pants

31. fettster

fettster Sr Member

looks great, keep the pics coming

32. Lord of the props

Lord of the props Well-Known Member

WOW looks great David, looking forward to see it painted :thumbsup

33. DAVIDYR1

Thanks guys.. :)

Started with the final details...will be cleaning this up and looking to finish him up now.

[​IMG]

Charred neck will blend into the charred chest...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Should be a fun suit to wear. :)

Critiques welcome. I'll be molding this soon so anything you think I need to add or remove just speak up. :)

David

34. jedistine

jedistine Well-Known Member

David,
    as always, it looks great.

35. DAVIDYR1

Happy to say this one is done. :)

Here are a few finished sculpt pics...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here's a cool PS job done by one of our own. The skin tones are very close to what was used on screen and very similar to what I'll be going for when I'm detailing this guy...

[​IMG]

This whole project is meant to be a wearable costume...prosthetic head mask...

Now the torso needs to wind down also...I'll have a few of those up shortly as well.

Thanks again everyone.

<div class='quotetop'>(jedistine @ Sep 20 2006, 02:09 PM) [snapback]1323394[/snapback]</div>

Thanks Jeff and check your emails. Let me have the date of that show...let's see what we can do..:)

David

36. DAVIDYR1

Got some work done on the torso also.

We dont really see the body of the DemonBat, and quite honestly I really wanted something 'dramatic'...something with more umph. than what was actually used on Bale.

...so I went totally custom...big time..:)

This will be worn after all so I went a bit crazy on the details.
    The entire thing is totally from my imagination...LOL that was funny to say. I just kept the same texturing and patterns that started in the head part and now have worked their way into the torso. Particularly the charred neck area.

This is HEAVILY influenced by the SPAWN movie costume.

You can see a vague chest bat design that will be much less noticable when done...and look at where the belt buckle would be...you'll see a bat's head and assuming it's possible to see in the pics the wings look like they're on fire and sourround the cod and side areas of that region. Again, something that the movie SPAWN costume really had going on well.

Water Clay sculpt...5 hours give or take up to this point.
    Love to hear your toughts and suggestions here. :)

[image]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v119/UDesigns1/Universaldesigns3/2006_1002firstpcs20007.jpg[/image]

[image]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v119/UDesigns1/Universaldesigns3/2006_1002firstpcs20006.jpg[/image]

[image]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v119/UDesigns1/Universaldesigns3/2006_1002firstpcs20002.jpg[/image]

[image]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v119/UDesigns1/Universaldesigns3/2006_1002firstpcs20001.jpg[/image]

I'll have the gauntlet spikes directly on the forearm. Almost as if they were bone coming out from the arm or even something that's been fused to his skin.

[image]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v119/UDesigns1/Universaldesigns3/tso4.jpg[/image]

And lastly, a cool coloring in PS by one of our own here to show the general direction I've taken with this...he was also kind enough to paste the head onto this...Fun Pic...

[​IMG]

Again, the torso si totally custom in it's design. The movie costume didnt have spikes or web like veining going on at all...not to mention bats camoflauged into the design.

Feedback of any kind is welcome and appreciated...
    Suggestions??...let's hear them.

David

37. Ramiel

Ramiel Sr Member

I'll keep the chest bat symbol... Not sure how. But if you want I can make a sketch... If you are interested, of course.
    :)

38. Hotshot

Hotshot Sr Member

How'd you smooth it? water?
    I can't tell what kind of clay it is either.
    Let me know.
    Great work.

39. DAVIDYR1

Ramiel,

I will have a very subtle bat logo sculpted on the chest but I want it to be real subtle...almost as if wrinkles form to make it or some of the burnt skin. As the demonbat it could be highlighted a million ways to show it there...but if I want to use this chest for other characters...and I will :) I dont want to have to worry about the bat chest logo. That's my current delema...At least, that's the way I'm looking at it now. Some people even suggested I sculpt up life like bat that would be stretched out onto the chest area....fitting into the look of the costume of course and I really like that idea too because it would simply be an add on...still, I'd Love to see your idea...like I said this is a work in progress so any suggestions are truly welcome... Post the sketch...:)

<div class='quotetop'>(Hotshot @ Oct 2 2006, 10:42 PM) [snapback]1330856[/snapback]</div>
    This is water clay. Water clay needs to be kept moist or it will dry up and more than likely crumble into pieces.
    Oil clays dont dry out.
    To get areas smooth I use a number of water based mixtures from just regular tap water to water and alcohol or even water and dishwasher soap. Depending on the finish I want or how long I want an area to stay moist compared to another I'll use all sorts of different water based mixtures.
    At the end of the day the sculpt needs to be wrapped in wet towels and sealed in a big bag to keep the air out. From that stand point it's a pain, but I really love working with it just the same.
    Hope that helps.

:)

David

40. temponaut

temponaut Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Beautiful work on the head. And I really like your concept for the torso. Very visceral.

A very subtle bat symbol on the chest is a fine idea. It could be formed by wrinkles, scar tissue, and veins, and so subtle that you have to see it in a certain light to recognize it fully.

Thanks for sharing this with us. :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

41. Betamin

Betamin Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That looks amazing. I really like the "bone" spikes coming out of the forearms. Fantastic job.

42. jedistine

:eek :eek :eek :eek :eek

43. FrankieLove

FrankieLove New Member

Now that's an awesome piece. Simply and purely evil.

44. Ramiel

Ramiel Sr Member

David, this was my idea...
    A sort of burned/stretched piece of skin...
    [​IMG]
    Let me know what do you think about it...

45. DAVIDYR1

<div class='quotetop'>(Ramiel @ Oct 3 2006, 12:19 PM) [snapback]1331123[/snapback]</div>
    Oh wow...

Yea...I love it..*, that's cool and great friggin drawing...

I love it and it's a far better idea than what I had...it is similar in 'concept' sure, but your idea far surpasses what I would have done.

Thank you and will I need to sign a release for *ahem* borrowing your idea?... :p

Thanks again.

David

46. Ramiel

Ramiel Sr Member

You can use it everytime you want. ;)
    Also, remember that I'm here if you need a sketch or whatever :)
    :D

47. fettster

fettster Sr Member

great work david, looks amazing.

Ramiel, cool drawing.

48. DAVIDYR1

A little update.
    The clay is where I want it. I've been cooking parts of the clay to make it crack and coating the sculpt with latex 'over and over and over again' to give it a sort of skin...lava-like and charred kind of like what the movie costume did. For the movie, they took a Begins chest piece..coated it with whipped foam latex by caking it on then blasting it with heat guns to make it pop, crack and tear. I did sort of the same thing with just latex...and am real happy with the results..LOL.

This is finally the painted sculpture..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I decided to nix the chest bat logo and the bat on the cod pice..after all that time working on a cool embossed logo I decided to scrap it...but, the movie suit doesnt have one anyhow....and the cod bat was just too out of place in the end..I dug the idea, but not for this guy....:)

I've got a bunch of stuff I'm painting and waiting on to dry. I'm actually working on the Apocalypse suit now...doing too much at once... :unsure

Enjoy.

David

49. jedistine

Love to see you wear this. Will you have this at Dragon Con 07?

50. Ramiel

Ramiel Sr Member

Looks great.
    Remind me a little bit of Spawn too... :D