Batman Arkham Asylum Armor Update 4/5/12 Convention Pics Added

Re: Batman Arkham Asylum Armor Updated 8/3/10

i love the arkham armor, and yours is looking spot on!

i thought you guys may be interested to see this version of the bats armor,
not as good as arkham.. because i have always been a fan of the taller ear designs for batman, but worth a look.. i LOVE the joker and harley, my wife and i are considering them for a future costume.
DC Universe Online Video Game, Exclusive Who Do You Trust Trailer HD | Game Trailers & Videos | GameTrailers.com

I love that trailer. I wish it was a trailer for a movie and not a game! After seeing that I think CG might be the best medium for most superhero movies. You can get a lot of depth and detail that you don't get in animation and so much more can be done in CG than in live action.

This was made with chavant NSP hard. I took custompropsculptorguy's advice and sprayed it with some high build primer. Then filled in the blemishes and uneven spots with DAP drywall compound. I repeated this a few times until I was pleased with the results.

Doing this saves time and money. You can cut down on your sculpting time and you don't have to do the two stage process where you make a copy out of fiberglass or plastic and sand/bondo the imperfections and make another mold of that finished piece.

Won't this effectively ruin a good bit of the wax though? That stuff is like gold, my friend! :D

I do understand the tactic however, and may also do the same in other larger sculpts, though it'd break my heart to have to toss out even a small bit of the wax, unless its easily salvagable.

Won't this effectively ruin a good bit of the wax though? That stuff is like gold, my friend! :D

I do understand the tactic however, and may also do the same in other larger sculpts, though it'd break my heart to have to toss out even a small bit of the wax, unless its easily salvagable.

This is the first time I've done this before. I expect to lose some clay but not much. Compared to how much money I'd spend on essentially making two silicone molds of the same thing or the extra time it would take to finish it solely just in clay, it's worth it to me in losing the top layer of clay.

So do you plan on doing the original armor?

Do you mean the suit Batman starts off with in the game? I don't intend to at this moment. It doesn't have enough of an armor feel to me.

The techniques I will be using to create the suits don't lend themselves as well to the basic suit in the game.

Yeah, I can see what you mean. The suit he normally wears looks more like a body suit than an armored suit. Great work though!

I have the game and I haven't even played it yet!! Looking at all this I guess I gotta start now!

Small update. I've built a new armature base that will give me more flexibility when sculpting and I've created the armature I'll sculpt the boot cover on. Nothing too exciting but I thought some of you might like to see how I did this.

What's great about this armature base is it will allow me to work on things parallel or perpendicularly.

I added my motorcycle boot for a size reference.

The armature is just some card stock covered in a thin layer of plasti-paste. Makes it pretty easy to get a relatively cheap and symmetrical foundation to work on.

I covered the ends of the pipes with plasti-paste, let it set, then put the armature where I wanted it surrounding the ends of the pipe. I then added more plasti-paste between the armature and the pipe ends to make it all one piece. Once set, it's easy to slide the boot armature on and off the armature base.

Tomorrow, I'll cut the plywood base down to 16" x 16".

4906212375_c6b6016a85_b.jpg

4906800604_43172ce002_b.jpg

4906800922_e17ee0bd87_b.jpg

4906213377_0ccb4d067b.jpg

4906801672_71f360d678_b.jpg

Re: Batman Arkham Asylum Armor Updated 5/14/10

Looking at these pics, I just now realised he is actually wearing his standard suit under the armor. What will you be using for an undersuit? Something similar to The Dark Knight mesh undersuit?

Anyway keep up the good work!:thumbsup
I cannot wait to see all pieces put together.

Re: Batman Arkham Asylum Armor Updated 8/18/10 New Armature

this is an absolutely insane build! DOUBLE LOVE IT! i just got the new game informer with the cover story being the new arkham game. get this done so you can pick it up in gear when it releases!

Looking at these pics, I just now realised he is actually wearing his standard suit under the armor. What will you be using for an undersuit? Something similar to The Dark Knight mesh undersuit?

Anyway keep up the good work!:thumbsup
I cannot wait to see all pieces put together.

I'm not sure yet. I was thinking about getting one of those screen printed suits with the brick pattern.

this is an absolutely insane build! DOUBLE LOVE IT! i just got the new game informer with the cover story being the new arkham game. get this done so you can pick it up in gear when it releases!

That would be awesome. I'm not that quick at sculpting/building but I'll give it shot! Do you know when it's supposed to come out?

This is SOOOOOOOOOOOO AWESOME!!!! I can't wait to see more updates. This project and the cowl project have me so excited.

Re: Batman Arkham Asylum Armor Updated 9/22/10 First Casting

Update!!!

First, I set up some new lighting. I have been using some halogen work/shop lights which put out a lot of light but since they're based off the ground, they don't work as well as I'd like. They are either too harsh pointing the light directly at the work or enough light doesn't bounce off the ceiling to light my work area. Well, I figured out a cheap remedy!

5014149742_3fe6cff4ab.jpg

Two 65 watt CFL bulbs hanging from the ceiling for an equivalent 300 watts incandescent bulb a piece. Man, these things get big! They cost me 15 bucks a piece but for how much money I'll be saving over powering the halogens, it's well worth it.

Okay now to some progress....

I'm really bad at making my molds thick enough. This time around I tacked on half inch silicone markers around the piece while my second layer was still tacky. FYI, the pic below of the mold itself is far from it being finished. A lot more silicone was added until it met up to the tops of the markers. It worked like a charm and I got a nice thick mold. The mother mold turned out well too. Its a two piece mold that bolts together.

5013544171_53c6a16536_b.jpg

5013544879_6f9e573f23_b.jpg

5013545071_792ae4cde6_b.jpg

Okay here's the good stuff. This is my first pull, it turned out pretty well. There are a couple deformed spots where I didn't get all my keys in place. I think I got them taken care of by carving the edges off some of the keys so they slide into the mother mold registers more easily. We'll see on the next cast.

5014149920_329fecee13_b.jpg

This is what the underside looks like from slush casting.

5013544713_fa12152a92_b.jpg

I just realized those are some crappy out of focus pics. I'll post new ones and make sure they're clearer when I have more progress on them.

Here is my progress on the boot cover. It's coming along quicker than my other work (still slower than I'd like, though). I'm hoping to get it finished in the next week or so for molding. You may notice it looks a lot thicker/bulkier than the reference pics. It is. This piece will be going around my motorcycle boots and I wanted to make sure they were large enough to fit well. So I had to reluctantly sacrifice some of the sleek/slender look.

5013545473_2085cfb19d_b.jpg

5014150632_c9f4242859_b.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Re: Batman Arkham Asylum Armor Updated 9/22/10 First Casting pg. 5

Your first pull looks like it came out pretty good man, even the coloring from the material you used is cool. I see that new armature is earning it's keep pretty quickly too.

Re: Batman Arkham Asylum Armor Updated 9/22/10 First Casting pg. 5

Very ambitious. You are doing it all alone too? Keep it up and thanks for posting some of those tips.

This was made with chavant NSP hard. I took custompropsculptorguy's advice and sprayed it with some high build primer. Then filled in the blemishes and uneven spots with DAP drywall compound. I repeated this a few times until I was pleased with the results.

Doing this saves time and money. You can cut down on your sculpting time and you don't have to do the two stage process where you make a copy out of fiberglass or plastic and sand/bondo the imperfections and make another mold of that finished piece.

can you sand the drywall compound while it's on the sculpture? It's so smooth Its hard for me to believe it's not sanded. I might have to go buy some of this NSP hard and play around with these techniques.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back