Batman Arkham Asylum Armor Update 4/5/12 Convention Pics Added

Re: Batman Arkham Asylum Armor Updated 9/22/10 First Casting pg. 5

Your first pull looks like it came out pretty good man, even the coloring from the material you used is cool. I see that new armature is earning it's keep pretty quickly too.

Thanks. The look was unintended but I like the look too. I used smooth-cast 325 and dropped some black pigment in. This was a slush cast with a whole bunch of little batches I dropped in to build it up. That's where the swirls came from. Ultimately, it'll be painted over, though. :(

Very ambitious. You are doing it all alone too? Keep it up and thanks for posting some of those tips.

I've been getting some good advice from people on the forum here like custompropsculptorguy but it's my project and I'm working solo.

can you sand the drywall compound while it's on the sculpture? It's so smooth Its hard for me to believe it's not sanded. I might have to go buy some of this NSP hard and play around with these techniques.

Yeah, it was sanded before I molded it. DAP drywall compound sands great. Personally, I don't like the NSP hard. That bracer is probably the last time I'll use it for a project. It was just to tough for me to work with. I'm thinking the NSP med will be my go to clay for most projects. It's still firm but much easier to manage and build with. Especially at the beginning of a project.

This is extremly nice!

Thanks!!

Re: Batman Arkham Asylum Armor Updated 9/22/10 First Casting pg. 5

I thought some of you might be curious about this. Before making the mold, I added a clay dam around the base. This allows me to extend the mold past the piece being cast which in turn makes it less messy when slush casting.

5016253391_c33dfaee44_b.jpg

5016858806_70071e7c74_b.jpg

And here is my first test piece with straps. I threw on some parts of my old Batman costume to get a feel for how it will look with a whole suit. I'm quite pleased.

I'm almost tempted to leave leave it with the black swirls and not paint it...almost. :)

5016859352_03510c8ea8_b.jpg

5016253815_c18d60416b_b.jpg

5016859926_fd71d09b63_b.jpg

Re: Batman Arkham Asylum Armor Updated 9/22/10 First test fitting pg. 5

I'll probably be gluing foam to the backside of some pieces to give them a better fit. Any recommendations on what type of foam I should use and where I can get it? I could pick up some of that green foam available at Jo-Ann but I have a feeling there is something better out there.

Re: Batman Arkham Asylum Armor Updated 9/22/10 Needing advice on foam.

that gauntlet is bad-a##!!

if you know anyone that works in IT at a big company, many computer parts come boxed in nice grey foam. fed ex laptop shipping boxes and hard drives are 2 big sources for it. i harvest my padding foam from those things.

That gauntlet is super cool man. I agree, it would look great the color that it is, though not as accurate to the game. Still, it looks sick!

very impressive!

make sure the finish on the armor matches the gloves.. matte for matte, gloss to gloss, whichever way you go.

I always liked this suit.... you're making it pretty well too, so far. Keep it up!

that gauntlet is bad-a##!!

if you know anyone that works in IT at a big company, many computer parts come boxed in nice grey foam. fed ex laptop shipping boxes and hard drives are 2 big sources for it. i harvest my padding foam from those things.

Good idea. I'll have to ask around. We got about 10 new comps in the office here but my computer guy says he thinks they're packaged with something other than foam. We'll see once they're open.

I may need to check out some local upholstery store.

very impressive!

make sure the finish on the armor matches the gloves.. matte for matte, gloss to gloss, whichever way you go.

Good tip. Thanks!

Oh WOWZAH! I just realized I wasn't breathing after reading through your work. This is going to be a most epic WIN for batman costuming!

I really like everything I have seen here. Keep up the great work.

What is your plan for the cowl?

I really like everything I have seen here. Keep up the great work.

What is your plan for the cowl?

Thanks!

Once I get the whole suit finished, I'll be making a two-piece cowl. A neck & shoulder piece and a head piece that will socket into the neck and shoulder piece. This, of course doesn't follow what is in the game but I've had enough experience with my one good cowl that I want more mobility in the head with the next one. It's tough to enjoy myself when wearing my current cowl. I can barely turn my head and have trouble hearing!

I may see if one of the guys on the board here that have made game referenced cowls (which are pretty damn accurate) are selling them when I get to that point, but I think that will be after I make mine.

Quick update:

I don't have pics to show at the moment but I've casted the shoulder and forearm pieces. Will be making the mold for the chest piece this weekend while working on the boot cover.

Work has been super hectic and time consuming, cutting into my time on the armor and making posts here.

I will update with pics as soon as I can.

Now I want to build one, Holy Crap Batman!

I know I haven't posted any new updates for way too long of time. Work has keeping me super busy and I reluctantly chose to focus on the armor and not updating this thread in my spare time. When you put in a 16 hour work on a Friday, then come home to work on your costume, you're not too fond of gathering pics and posting progress. I will back pedal and show the work I did up to this point with progress pics. So here it goes....

Ready for Halloween! Well almost ready. I think I'll do some dry brushing and add some padding here and there. Of course it isn't AA Batman but it'll do for this Halloween. ;)

FYI, I will be making thigh pieces, upper arm pieces and probably a cod piece to finish off the suit for an AA Batman. Thanks for looking!

Now what the hell do I call myself when someone asks what I'm supposed to be?

5116565621_d1e9dd6706_b.jpg

5116566611_8d47cdfd55_b.jpg

Re: Batman Arkham Asylum Armor Updated 10/26/10 Costume ready for Halloween! pg. 6

"Now what the hell do I call myself when someone asks what I'm supposed to be?"

A guy with a kick ass costume!

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back