Batman Arkham Asylum Armor Update 4/5/12 Convention Pics Added

Re: Batman Arkham Asylum Armor Updated 6/14/10

This is look amazing so far!! If you decide to do cast's of these I would love to know! My husband's wanted this suit for a long time!

This is look amazing so far!! If you decide to do cast's of these I would love to know! My husband's wanted this suit for a long time!

Thanks for the compliment. When I get this finished, I will be doing at least a few runs for sets to sell. Not sure if I intend to do slush molds with polyurethane plastic, fiberglass or aqua resin. Haven't done the latter two. I'll have to do some tests. Any recommendations/advice is welcome.

I need some help/advice!

I've been working on smoothing the left side of the bracer before building the top details in. But I've gotten to a point where I'm having difficulty getting the surface even. When I run my hand across I can feel there's high and low spots. Below are some pics of the current status and the tools I use for raking and smoothing. Mostly metal ribs, acrylic pieces cut with different curvatures etc.

The clay I am using is NSP hard.

Do I need to pick up/create some new tools? Is it my technique? Should I move on, build the rest and follow customprop's advice about painting with primer and dap drywall?

4711255456_548d9b8154_b.jpg

4710613753_4b98850501_b.jpg

4711255056_aef8ecb016_b.jpg

4711254868_30575c67fa_b.jpg

Re: Batman Arkham Asylum Armor Updated 6/17/10 Help! I need sculpting advice!

have you tried gently heating with a hair dryer or heat gun to soften it a bit or using rubbing alcohol?

You can use a plaster rasp to get rid of the subtle high and low spots that rakes and metal ribs won't catch. It will ruin your surface, and you'll have to go over it again with the ribs. You could also try something longer than you're currently using like an aluminum ruler as a rib.

Looking forward to this build big time.!!!

have you tried gently heating with a hair dryer or heat gun to soften it a bit or using rubbing alcohol?

At this point, at least with my experience, I want to keep it hard. It generally makes it easier to get a level surface.

You can use a plaster rasp to get rid of the subtle high and low...

Is this what you're referring to when you say plaster rasps?
PlasterRasps.png

You might try using a finishing rubber to smooth out the surfaces. It won't damage what you've already done *very* much. If you run the finishing rubber very hard over the surface it'll move clay from high areas to low areas and fill it in. Then go over the surface lightly in the opposite direction with the rubber or even your finger to push any loose clay back down. Go over it with a card. It should be nice and smooth then.

You can take WD40 and a terry cloth - soak the clay with some wd 40, hit the rag with it, and then very gently, use a circular motion and it will even your clay out - well, it might - it's what I do.

really digging the clay work. looks great!!!!

Here's a small update.

Thanks for all the input on smoothing. I bought a set of cheap set of wire tools then filed them down to give a better cutting edge. This has helped a lot in my work too.

4741446324_99e1688133_b.jpg

4740810565_569ecc89a5_b.jpg

Re: Batman Arkham Asylum Armor Updated 6/27/10

Outstanding work on the chest and shoulder pieces, I can only imagine that the rest of the suit will be no less spectacular. Can't wait to see the finished product!

Keep up the good work. I can't wait to see it finished. You have a lot of talent.

Very cool. When it comes to videogame and anime-based costumes i think you can get away with adding more detail, they cut back so they don't have to draw/animate extra stuff.

Amazing work! I have never made a suit before, but I imagine it takes a lot of hard work and free time. Where did you pick up the black mannequin your using as your armature?? It seems like it would be the perfect armature for a project like this! Can't wait to see more!.-Mark

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back