BATGIRL FILM CANCELLED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Usagi Pilgrim

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Looks like DC/WB will NOT be releasing this $70-100 million film, theatrically OR on HBOmax, even though it's already been finished & had at least one round of reshoots. Reports are that it won't see the light of day, in any way, shape, or form.

I absolutely MUST know exactly how bad this thing is!

Their source is the NY Post? Not exactly known for great journalism. Even still, WB seems to have some issues with DC films. Who knows when or if The Flash film will ever come out. Hopefully Black Adam, Shazam 2, and Aquaman 2 don't have any issues. Guess we'll have to wait until DC Fandome to find out for sure.

Very odd that they would shelve a 70 Million dollar film...unless it was so bad that it would do more damage to the Batman universe than good.

Perhaps it will be so bad, that it would be good...Like Plan 9 From Outer Space.

TazMan2000

Looks like DC/WB will NOT be releasing this $70-100 million film, theatrically OR on HBOmax, even though it's already been finished & had at least one round of reshoots. Reports are that it won't see the light of day, in any way, shape, or form.

I absolutely MUST know exactly how bad this thing is!

I didn't even know this was a thing. But now I HAVE to see it too!

Warner Bros is so concerned about maintaining quality in the franchise that they cranked out the 'Batwoman' TV show for 3 seasons and 51 episodes.

The fate of this "Batgirl" flick probably depends on how much post-production work is complete. If they only have the footage "in the can" then the job is still a long way from being done and they may never finish it. But if the whole thing is truly done and it just doesn't fit into the franchise's plans, then I would expect them to stream it out eventually on a rainy sunday in February.

Here's Variety...

That better?
Well if the “Snow Suit” The Batgirl Is wearing is any indication…

11AADDD4-2755-418A-A75F-D28BF7AB9CAA.jpeg

7B3B0BEC-DB19-4D39-A843-0D3FDDA0DB97.jpeg

Well if the “Snow Suit” The Batgirl Is wearing is any indication…

View attachment 1604061

View attachment 1604063
Yeeeaaahhh...

It wasn't just the look of it, which I was ready to give it a chance, but this thing was introducing their Supergirl, it had Keaton back, & Brendon Fraser as Firefly.

They were front-loading it to get some eyes on it.

IDK... It was supposed to premiere this year, now it's not even getting released.

So here's a more legit source

And it looks like it's being shelved for not being blockbuster enough for the big screen, but too big budget for streaming. Sounds like something a suit would say alright.

Yeah I’m really confused by their reasoning.

Like, I understand that maybe it’s not a big enough film to put in theaters, but how I’d it “too big” to be released on streaming? I mean, if it’s already finished, wouldn’t it make more sense to at the very least let it hit HBO Max where it will get some views and generate…SOMETHING.

It’s just very strange. Maybe they get to write the entire production budget off as a loss this way?

Even though HR and Variety are carrying this story, there's still not a single source cited, nor is anyone at WB/DC quoted.
Right now it reads like a fan theory that got some traction. I guess it COULD be true, but until I hear verification or a quote from a reputable source, I'm dismissive of it.
The story started off with something like "Batgirl wont' be released in theaters or on HBO Max" which could have been an extrapolation from "we're going to release this on Discovery+" or something. The wording of the key messages is very suspicious in the articles, and it's changing/growing with each retelling.
Also throw into the mix that Wb/DC has never been opposed to releasing garbage, and none of the talking points hold any water.

If the "Snyder Cut" can come to fruition, and Morbieus can have two releasings based solely on memes mocking that no one saw it, this will surely come out at some point.

Last edited:
The new reports have this happening for tax purposes. They can only write it off the entire amount off as a loss if they never release it. Still suspicious until we get official word, but WB has declined to comment, instead of denying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back