Bane-The Dark Knight Rises- 1:1 sculpt by Bob Dullam *June 18th update*

Re: Bane-The Dark Knight Rises- 1:1 sculpt by Bob Dullam *new photos update*

Have to give wb credit for giving us some decent reference material

Last edited:

you could make a generic mask and fill it in with clay. I prefer to see it in the whole all at once, get an overall of how the shape of the mask relates to the head, cause otherwise if I made a mask separate I'd still have to make an armature for the mask, pull a copy, then rip the sculpture of the mask off the armature, blah blah blah, in other words a lot more work, and extra molding, and extra time.
right now I am concentrating on JUST the head and neck. Once the flesh part is all good, THEN after I pull a hard copy of the whole thing, I will add scars(why? because I'd like to make sure the look of the scars don't blend in with the flesh. I just think it looks more like appliance scars were added, and it's easier!!). Also as I mentioned before, the mask itself will get the entire machine shop/body shop routine. It will be as symetrical as my tumbler. i.e. to do it at this stage is not nearly as efficient. Yes I could do it in just clay, but why go through that just to prove I can. When for example, using an orbital sander, a guitar fretboard machinist straightedge, nut slotting files, will make the mask mechanically flawless in minutes.
Also...... there are two major fixes to do on the Hardy part, can anyone see what they are? and no, not the wrinkles on the forehead.

Last edited:

So you will be willing to pull a hard copy to add scars as it should be done but not do that to do the harness, interesting.

Your going against pretty much everything every sculptor that has ever come before you does when it comes to busts and what was done for this character. Not saying right or wrong, just definitely different.

Since this isn't to be wearable, and doesn't have to be to scale but it does need to be accurate, then every detail right down to the bolts, hoses, nozzels, pores and scars could and should be done in clay. Otherwise you would sculpt the likeness first, then master it, then add scars and then master it, then add harness in order to get the desired result just like they did in production. But since thats for wearable and this is static, there is no reason to sculpt a lifecast to then sculpt scars and then a harness over it. All of that can be done in one go in clay(s)

I cannot ever be stressed enough the respect that needs to be paid to the originals when replication is being done, especially in likeness's, nothing kills the quality and a feel of that faster

your already into the detailing phase of this sculpt and your forms are still soft and loose, and there isn't a hard line one this yet. so best to suggest that fix that first, and there are more than a few things to refine

1. the anatomy of the neck is still soft, needs to be tightened up to coincide with the subject

2. everything on the camera left side of the head is angled/sitting lower than the right side (which is a common trait on every sculpt you've ever done btw)

3. the back of the head is over elongated in comparison to the subject as well as the neck

I could go on but I don't want to nitpick

also suggest for the overall of the piece that you end the neck a little more into the traps and collar bones, right now it comes off as a little short and beheaded, there could be enough shoulders in this to perhaps hang a vest on or atleast a torn tshirt

the days of head only busts are long since past if you want a great piece
people like Jordu Schell, Steve Wang, Jose Fernandez, Howard S, Bobby C and a few others long since raised the bar to epic heights for what a bust can be, so try to hold in mind making the piece as epic as it can be given time, money and talent.

and this isn't a guitar is an organic head with a geometric overlay, so not sure where your going with that analogy, but glad to see you are back to understanding how body shoping is a requirement for these type of pieces, pretty rare unless is a creature sculpt that bodyshoping will .

yes alot more work and a lot more time is always a requirement for doing things right the first time, thats true of absolutely everything~

photoshop for someone if they like to 50/50 it for bob to see where the differences are

tom-hardy-bane-mask-unintelligible.jpg

tom-hardy-set-the-dark-knight-rises-01.jpg
BaneRollingStonep.jpg

last but not least, always remember that your not the only to do this piece, so your behind the eightball already between original references readily available and 9 other people that have sculpted a damn good replica of the mask, so your goal should be the best thing to top them all

so here's my latest version of this thing... while the neck is more like his, I opted to keep some of the lumps and bumps around. I don't want his neck looking like a big tube..
banes4.jpg

banes3.jpg

banes2.jpg

banes1.jpg

Last edited:

also.. want to point out that I DO have 4 creases in the forehead. Kind of hard to see in these photos, but they are there.. I counted 4 on one of the high-res shots...

here's a slightly clearer front shot, you can see the scowl a bit better.
banes5.jpg

Re: Bane-The Dark Knight Rises- 1:1 sculpt by Bob Dullam *May 30th updated*

VERY nice work pal, coming along well!!

Mark Alfrey has a great DVD on how to light and photograph a sculpt, perhaps that could help you show off those creases better~

Nice to see that you added more to the base, that helps as they say "make it more interesting"

I wish I had a better camera, and a booth for more consistent pictures.

being cast, then pull a copy and start sanding, then painting.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back