Bandai SSD WIP with Lights

Antsnest

Sr Member
Doing a quick build of the SSD to see how feasible lighting is. The engines are pretty small, but the biggest problem is getting wires out from the back of them whilst remaining hidden.

First of all I mixed up a light grey primer basecoat using grey and white Stynylrez primers. These give an excellent finish and do not fill up any details at all. This was followed by a liberal coating of Dark Dirt wash from Flory. This is also an incredible product. The process is to just slop it over and let it dry, then go back with a slightly moist cloth or cotton bud and just wipe it away from where you don't want it. It remains completely water soluble even when totally dry.

ghwZ9Jo.jpg

iJcgGyd.jpg

HjaSSt7.jpg

A 0.5 mm hole was drilled in the end of each engine bell, trying to angle it as best as possible to where there was the least obstruction on the back side. This varied between the different engine positions. Some of the plastic had to be removed to assist with wire routing, but only from areas that are not visible. This included through the middle of some of the connection lugs.

Prewired 0402 SMD LEDs were used for each engine. These are about the only things that will fit all the way in. I wanted a reddish glow, but not the pure hue of a red LED, so I've gone for white LEDs with a couple of coats of Tamiya clear red.

KfmQAjO.jpg

2gaSsKo.jpg

LclUQk4.jpg

More to come....

Nice.

It looks like a tow cable is stuck around part of the structure forward of the bridge... oh, wait, that is dust. ;)

Edit: Compliments on being the first I've seen to try and fix the seem on the top hull.

yeah, that's off a cotton bud! I didn't notice it till the photo!

And yeah that top hull seam needs addressing. Didn't quite pull it off, but will have another go. I was more worried about just cracking it again as I fought with the lights...

WOW! The very first picture you posted looked more like a 3D render or the actual studio model. VERY impressive! And good call on using white LEDs and tinting them red. IMHO this almost always looks better than using a actual red/green/blue LED. The "pure" color diodes emit a rather eerie and almost unnatural looking light--especially the blue and purple colors that resemble UV "black light" posters from the 1970s.

Red LEDs emit a narrow spectrum of light. White LEDs of the phosphor variety emit a wider range of colour frequencies, simulating natural white light. If you then restrict that colour output using a red dye you're getting a wider spectrum of colours than an actual red LED, and that looks far more natural.

Back on this project after a holiday. I've updated my Blockade Runner engine flicker board with an additional 2 outputs so it's good for the SSD too.

If3ryJP.jpg

Using the same 3D printed base setup too

Igp53I2.jpg

O0LWsoA.jpg

emgyVJk.jpg

Some mood lighting shots

pwxEdFq.jpg

Y4nGEmK.jpg

lAKO3Zc.jpg

p173USI.jpg

E0ZtdCz.jpg

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back