Bandai release schedule

While I REALLY want this to happen, I have a feeling the "under Approval" everyone is latching on to is just a mistranslation and is meant to be something like "under review" or "out for approval." What is written does sound like it has been approved, but I just don't think it has been yet.

Chris

From what little I have learned about the industry: Licensors often have a clause that requires that they approve all products before they are allowed to be sold.

I believe it is kind of a formality, but one that is required by contract. It allows the Licensor to protect their 'brand'.

...star destroyers don't exactly have the most interesting paint challanges

Paint jobs with a dozen colors and weathering is easy. Making a model look interesting with a clean finish and maybe three subtly different gray shades? That's a challenge.

While I REALLY want this to happen, I have a feeling the "under Approval" everyone is latching on to is just a mistranslation and is meant to be something like "under review" or "out for approval." What is written does sound like it has been approved, but I just don't think it has been yet.

Chris

Everything they've produced had to be submitted for approval, it's just a formality.

I understand things need approval, what I'm saying is that it says "under approval" what does that mean? Taken literally, it sounds like it has been approved and is being developed but not ready for announcement yet. I'm just saying I don't think it has been approved yet and that a better caption may have been "under review for approval." I just don't want to get my hopes up and then have them dashed. Lets all think good thoughts ;)

Chris

Anyone know if this is the same Destroyer that Bandai was showing off last year at different shows? Someone over at SSM claims it is smaller than the show model but I can't tell.

Chris

Almost certainly it is not the same.

Here is a photo of the large one:
DSC02630.jpg

Experts...accurate is the new Bandai SD? If it is accurate, I think we can expect that the larger one would be the same. They design in CAD, so enlarging, or reducing is a non-issue. However, the tools cutting the mould can only be so detailed with larger model able to support more detail, of course. I'm not sure what stage this model is at, but you would think that if they lit it up, it is not a mockup. If they are getting to the final stages, a complete redesign to fix proportion issues is unlikely.

TazMan2000

The tiny Bandai SD is the best representation I've ever seen...IF Bandai can reproduce it in a larger size I'll be pickled tink:) As small as it is, you can see a LOT of details reproduced that are on the 8 foot miniature.....it's really impressive. I'd like to hear what Tox thinks of this tiny work of art.

Robert

I have cracked the wording of the Star Destroyer conundrum. There is a comma missing. The translation should be "This is a prototype in the planning stage, under approval." This means that the SD will become a reality is it is being prototyped under the approval of Disney. This is the same as being "under the command of.." Hope that helps folks.

They design in CAD, so enlarging, or reducing is a non-issue.

Well it is kind of an issue, perhaps more so when it comes to organic sculpts (miniature figures), but the principle is the same. You can not just upscale a model and print, as the depth of panel lines, spacing and all that jazz is modeled with a specific scale in mind. Both in terms of what looks good and what is actually reproducable - what looks good (exaggurated features) at a smaller scale does not translate all that well to a bigger scale. While they might use a "neutral" cad model as an underlying base (basically used as a reference) I would expect that the majority of it is modeled with a specific scale in mind. I am also 100% certain that the cuts will be different and this will lead to further iterations and tweaks to the model to avoid undercuts where a slidecore mold can not solve that problem.

I'm not sure what stage this model is at, but you would think that if they lit it up, it is not a mockup.
I don't know what the practice is, but I'd imagine they use a fairly high res 3d-printer today to test parts. It is definitely a "new" model. Cutting proper steel molds is too expensive, however they might be cutting cheaper molds in less expensive material not meant for big runs. I don't think that's a mockup either though, but it might be 3D-printed parts sent for approval to Disney.

Edit: I also agree that any fixes to the proportions are highly unlikely at this stage, unless whoever gives the go ahead at Disney is more than a bureaucrat. This is BanDai's suggested finished model as it was sent in for approval and likely to be what the end product looks like as far as I can tell.

Last edited:
The conning/bridge tower of the prototype SD looks more like the oversized closeup model, rather than the tower on the 8ft model. It has a lot of detail, but it's a bit shallow like on the closeup version. The recessed panel lines look good, I hope they don't get carried away and make them too large.

I wonder if they're replicating any one particular model, or going for an amalgam of the various versions. The tower would suggest the latter. I'm sure most would prefer to see the 8ft TESB version, mostly because of the extra detail. But the ANH version would also make sense, as it was the original and will be featured in Rogue 1.

Well it is kind of an issue, perhaps more so when it comes to organic sculpts (miniature figures), but the principle is the same. You can not just upscale a model and print, as the depth of panel lines, spacing and all that jazz is modeled with a specific scale in mind. Both in terms of what looks good and what is actually reproducable - what looks good (exaggurated features) at a smaller scale does not translate all that well to a bigger scale.

You're absolutely right. I was speaking generically. I'm certain that the SD was designed as a very detailed CAD model. With details as layers. The larger you want the physical model, the more layers of detail, the smaller the model, less detail, so they would probably either create separate layers of details for the smaller model or modify the larger scale model layers by subtracting detail, but the base shape will be the same. (At least that's how it works in the manufacturing industries that I'm familiar with. I have never visited a plastic model manufacturing site so the software and hardware may be specific to their industry)

TazMan2000

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back