Bandai release schedule

Tip: don't use acrylic-polyurethane primer if you're gonna use that technique. It's a rubber-ish primer that tends to pull up surrounding material when scratched, so insted of a tiny window you end up with battle damage.

Given that the plastic used in Bandai model kits are prone to damage from lacquer-based primers and paints (especially the clear parts), we may be in a situation where one has to decide between risking some ragged holes with an acrylic primer and cracked/warped base plastic with clean holes using regular primer.

sample - CD box. soil spray Kudo. the drill is 0.3 mm. drilled a hand-held device.

Attachments

• proube.JPG
    proube.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 307
Given that the plastic used in Bandai model kits are prone to damage from lacquer-based primers and paints (especially the clear parts), we may be in a situation where one has to decide between risking some ragged holes with an acrylic primer and cracked/warped base plastic with clean holes using regular primer.
There are other acrylic-polyurethane primers that cars modellers use, super thin primers that minimize the risk of tearing off the paint when sanding after the primer is applied. Maybe that's a good alternative to minimize that risk. Vallejo acrylic-polyurethane primer on the other hand, is way more risky for that (in my experience).

Personally I never prime clear parts (canopies) because I want the color of the inside of the canopy's structure (however you call that) to be visible through the clear areas of the canopy, so I don't really have an answer.

Last edited:
When it comes to Bandai kits, I invested in several bottles of Stynlrez for priming. I haven't used it yet because I am still deep in the Zvezda build, but I have heard good things about it as a primer, and it is water-based instead of solvent based so hopefully for the Star Destroyer it will perform as well as the videos show on other standard plastics and not do that rubbery thing you warned us about.

Good advice, especially if you use Vallejo's PU primer (which I do). It can definitely peel up (esp. if you don't let it dry completely). In any event, I'll wait to see how Bandai handles all of this bf making any project plans. :)

When it comes to Bandai kits, I invested in several bottles of Stynlrez for priming. I haven't used it yet because I am still deep in the Zvezda build, but I have heard good things about it as a primer, and it is water-based instead of solvent based so hopefully for the Star Destroyer it will perform as well as the videos show on other standard plastics and not do that rubbery thing you warned us about.

I've used Stynlrez quite a bit, I've never had any "rubbery" issues with it. It needs some time to harden, but it's really good stuff

tie-dagger-tros-vd-large.jpg

I suspect one of these will be part of Bandai's TROS offerings in December. Interesting how the FO went back to black solar panels instead of white. I like it, but I wish they had just used this design from the beginning instead of the standard TIE variations we got in TFA. Oh well.

You know, that's so dumb, I'm not even wasting my time finding my Picard facepalm pic! They already OWN some great post ROTJ TIE designs, yet they insist on coming up with crap.

View attachment 1048687

I suspect one of these will be part of Bandai's TROS offerings in December. Interesting how the FO went back to black solar panels instead of white. I like it, but I wish they had just used this design from the beginning instead of the standard TIE variations we got in TFA. Oh well.

I'm happy to see they went back to OT colors for this version. At least partially...

The Cool committee strike again...........
We are never going to see any designs on film other that what these guys can come up with.
Remember Bad Robot has got to get its cut of the merchandise.

This dagger design is in the Art of TFA book and appears to be what George was planning to do before everything changed when sold the company. JJ then came in, they tossed out George's treatments and plans, and JJ went 100% fan service by bringing back the standard TIE design with the white panels. So I'm actually happy to see this design finally hit the screens. They should've used it from the beginning, but... gotta make the fans happy.

I dunno. I can think of 2 billion reasons why JJ was smart to do what he did. At the time, I would say most fans were more than happy with TFA -- until they retroactively weren't. You can make fans happy. Keeping them happy... well, that's the real trick, isn't it? ;)

Not to offend sequel fans but realistically speaking what have this trilogy offered so far? Unused or slightly modified designs. In my estimation the TIE Silencer looks a lot like the old TIE Fighter game TIE Avenger.

When the original films came out is was a time of excitement because you wondered what toys/kits were coming out. That sentiment extended even to the prequels. But looking at the new movies, there is just nothing there. Color inverted TIES, a MF with a square radar dish a preliminary design of an X-Wing. Lets not forget shoe box transports, amorphous capital ships and my favorite the Buck Rogers bomber.

Disney tossed the extended universe content just to cherry pic what the new heads of Lucasfilm thought was good without understanding much of what made Star Wars great. I wish there was a movie where Luke wakes up and tells Han I just had the most bizarre dream (just kidding). Anyways, lets hope the Mandalorian and other TV series can correct course and bring us great stories and awesome new designs. Unfortunately I am so jaded about the way the sequels are going that I am not even interested in seeing TROS.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back