Bandai release schedule

Man, how the heck do you even detail or weather something that's at 2.7 million scale? I dream of scratch-building a foot-long, 1:100,000 space colony which is going to be difficult to detail, but on this thing, even the thinnest panel line or polystyrene sheet would be hundreds of meters in size...

Well however you do it, someone on the Internet is guaranteed to tell you it's not accurate. :lol

Pretty sure that the Japanese literature for the Death Star states that the model shots above are CG protype representations, so the final model might be differently detailed.

Hmm. Yeah. So: anyone got any ideas about the best way to sand down those pieces?

The old fashioned way: varying grits of sandpaper. Fortunately, the kit is small and it's not a complete sphere, so the sanding shouldn't be as mind-numbing as, say, the grid lines on the TOS-E kit. Between sanding and filling, one should be able to get a smooth sphere without too much trouble.

I am going to wait and see what other builders do with this kit before deciding what to do myself- that and whatever photoetch and 3D printed parts hit the market

My approach will be based on the fact that the kit seems virtually impossible to light (though, of course, some insane Japanese builder will do just that) and is small enough that fine details wouldn't be visible on the "real" station anyway. So it's a 'looks right from a distance' kit to me. I'll sand and fill the sphere surface to make it smooth and use paints to lightly shade the panels in the characteristic Death Star look. That's about it for a kit this small.

I'm going to light mine, custom photoetch all the correctly scaled floors, throw in a few hanger bays.......:lol:facepalm

Kidding aside, I agree with hunk a junk BUT i wont even bother to smooth the surface! At this scale it is just a fun little Bandai kit and I will build it right out of the box.

I've got plenty of verious sized clear spheres if I want a better DS.

I once made an ANH Death Star out of two clear hemispheres sold as squirrel protectors for bird feeders. It was about 14 inches is diameter. It ended up getting ruined during a move across the country, but I might try that again one of these days if I can find the protectors at a good price.

I fully intend to light my Death Star. I'll be extremely interested in any aftermarket kits anybody has for this when it arrives, including photoetch.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm sort of tempted to replace certain areas of it with just smooth spheres, carefully cut. It'll be an interesting project.

Last edited:
This is how the Death Star should have been done:

32423100_1783776911644027_3798429708912164864_n.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1783775244977527.1073741959.106751836013218&type=3

Yea it's gotta be at least 10-12 inches for me not to see it as an over priced Christmas ornament.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back