Bandai 1/72 X-Wing: Red Leader (+1/144 Red 2), Rogue One/Mandalorian ver.

Talaris

Finally completed my build of Red Leader in 1/72, along with the included 1/144 as his wing-man Red 2. This is specifically Garven Dreis and his droid R5-K6 as depicted in Rogue One, however as of Chapter 6 of the The Mandalorian, this Red Leader paint scheme and wing marking can also be seen on one of the X-Wings attacking the outpost at the end. It would seem the CGI models from Rogue One have now been reused for New-Republic X-Wings in The Mandalorian.

As I've moved from UK to Japan, I no longer have a dedicated work area for modelling, nor any of my equipment; all that is back in London. I wanted to continue building models here, but my apartment is very small, with only a coffee table to work from! With no airbrushing possible, the base colour is just the plastic, with various areas hand-painted using a variety of Mr Hobby Aqueous and Tamiya (very cheap here!) . Water-slide decals were all used except for yellow, as these are way too inaccurate colour-wise, so instead I had to make do with the yellow stickers which at least were the correct colour.

I know these aren't to the level of most members here as they aren't fully painted, but I think it gives those interested a good look at what can be achieved from these Bandai kits straight out of the box, with minimal painting performed.

I'll be adding a few more photos tomorrow if I get a chance. Thanks all for looking, and let me know what you think!

Talaris

xwingsmall1.JPG

xwingsmall2.JPG

xwingsmall3.JPG

Wow. they look quite impressive for "no paint"

Looks like you managed to tone down the plastic shine enough to make it appear to have had a base coat of paint

Weathering is not overdone and also helps get rid of the plastic look.

I think they look great

Thanks for all the kind words! I used both gloss and matt coats of Mr Surfacer , as well as a grey acrylic wash, to lesson the plastic look. Unfortunately, removing excess wash damaged the decals in a couple of areas, even with the gloss coat applied... perhaps next time the wash should be completed first before applying decals. I used a black pastel for weathering, but for the scale I think it was too much. I’ll restrain myself more next time.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back