Bandai 1/72 PG Millennium Falcon (also the Revell Germany rebox)

Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

I'm totally going to start calling them that. It's amazingly appropriate!

I say special ed edition.
mqdefault.jpg

I neither like nor dislike the grill, it's just not original. And it takes away from the exotic nature of the original engine.

Cool photos, hikarub, thanks! :)

I don't see myself getting the kit, some know here of my 5 footer on the go, so no need for it really.
Stu

I thought you would have loved to get your hands on it -- wouldn't this be a perfect 3-dimensional reference material whose measurements and others aspects like hull shape and parts placement can just be scaled up to 5-footer size? In my case I once dreamt of building a 5-footer but have long accepted the fact that I don't have the resources. I remained feeling dejected, though, until this kit came along. I'm happy to settle for a model of THE model : )

EDIT: Just saw your 5-footer update. My eyeballs sprung out of their sockets. You don't need no stinkin' 1/72 model for reference, heheh.

Just an overall observation, not pointing the finger at anyone. It seams as though we all have our specific areas that we get hung up on. It seems as though this model has both the accuracy of shape and detail. Can't wait! Honestly, I wish it was bigger, but I'm probably in the minority.

9aqKatR.jpg

akspy40.jpg

I'm guilty of that : ) I would have loved to see more rings on the lower Me-109 struts : ) But I'm just happy we'd be wallowing in all that detail. I bit the bullet and ordered one from CultTVman! Can't describe the pain of hitting that buy button, but the thought of seeing even just the Drive Safely decal in person makes me all giddy with anticipation.

Last edited:

I say special ed edition.
View attachment 748991

I neither like nor dislike the grill, it's just not original. And it takes away from the exotic nature of the original engine.
Do we ever see the back with the engines off in the pre-SE films? If we don't, we don't know what it was intended to look like. I always thought the brightness of the engines concealed any detail that was supposed to be there.

Having a several foot high shiny strip that wraps around most of the back of a ship that is that beat up looking wouldn't make sense to me.

The detail wasn't modeled because it didn't need to be seen. For the SE films, they changed their mind and added it.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

I've done a lot of searching but can't find much definitive photographic evidence of what the full sized Falcon sets had for engines. The information I found is fairly fleeting and inconclusive.

https://sites.google.com/site/millenniumfalconnotes/the-lighting

(scroll down to the engine section)

It's a shame for consistency's sake that the TFA grille has wider spacing than the SE grille. I like the engine details behind the TFA grille well enough. The SE engines obviously didn't show anything at all behind the grille - just light.

But, as always with a space fantasy like this, you just need to pick and choose the stuff from each movie that makes you happy!

Do we ever see the back with the engines off in the pre-SE films? If we don't, we don't know what it was intended to look like. I always thought the brightness of the engines concealed any detail that was supposed to be there.

Having a several foot high shiny strip that wraps around most of the back of a ship that is that beat up looking wouldn't make sense to me.

The detail wasn't modeled because it didn't need to be seen. For the SE films, they changed their mind and added it.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

No, they didn't need to, Full size set was shot from front end or side only in SW & ESB

J

Here's an interview from Tested with Bluefin (US distributor of the 1/72 Falcon) with some pretty nice b-roll of the model itself and some sprue:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnGoJv3vmLs

Edit: Seems I was a bit hasty in concluding that the sprues were from the Falcon -- at least one of them is from the A-wing.
Edit 2: I haven't seen any discussion on pricing and availability outside Japan, but according to Amazon it is $399 (+ $178.18 Shipping & Import Fees Deposit to Norway :() and will be available October 31.

Last edited by a moderator:

Here's an interview from Tested with Bluefin (US distributor of the 1/72 Falcon) with some pretty nice b-roll of the model itself and some sprue:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnGoJv3vmLs

Edit: Seems I was a bit hasty in concluding that the sprues were from the Falcon -- at least one of them is from the A-wing.
Edit 2: I haven't seen any discussion on pricing and availability outside Japan, but according to Amazon it is $399 (+ $178.18 Shipping & Import Fees Deposit to Norway :() and will be available October 31.

Brilliant video Ancalagon

In regards to us Europeans,....getting our hands on the kit.....I think I need to advise not buying through America,....the duty added on to the model coming from there is a hell of a lot more than getting direct from Japan....so really,....ordering from a seller from Japan on Amazon or ebay,...will be substantially less expensive

J

Last edited by a moderator:

regarding the engine grill...just throwin' this out there......

View attachment 749208

:lol

Wow, talk about the "way back" machine

I have that thing along with the die cast Star Destroyer, X-wing, Y-wing, Tie Fighter, Salve-1, Cloud Car and Snowspeeder

The Y-Wing has a detachable bomb/torpedo on the bottom and was painted like "Red Jammer"

The Star Destroyer had a mini rubber Blockade runner

The Ties were white and had that funky rear part that was like a trunk

[emoji38]

Wow, talk about the "way back" machine

I have that thing along with the die cast Star Destroyer, X-wing, Y-wing, Tie Fighter, Salve-1, Cloud Car and Snowspeeder

The Y-Wing has a detachable bomb/torpedo on the bottom and was painted like "Red Jammer"

The Star Destroyer had a mini rubber Blockade runner

The Ties were white and had that funky rear part that was like a trunk
I have some of them. They aren't in very good shape. But that falcon is still my favorite falcon toy. It has a perfect "vroom vroom" factor

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Well, that thing was my first falcon too, back around 1979... long time ago it ended with crappy additional handpainting (no, not screen-accurate, i was 12 and just discovered the possibility of painting modelkits with brushes :) ) with a lot of other stuff at a toy flea market... it went along with some matchbox-cars and the die-cast-TIE-Fighter... oh, yes, and i had the Stardestroyer too; same story!

Man, based on the detail of this thing a revell-toy-falcon looks like a real movie-prop, he,he...

Last edited:

Where is the problem? - It has everything falcon should have and more (cockpit glass). Only missing thing is some grill on engine vents;). And with engine grill in year 1979 trully ahead of its time :)

Where is the problem? - It has everything falcon should have and more (cockpit glass). Only missing thing is some grill on engine vents;). And with engine grill in year 1979 trully ahead of its time :)
And it had three landing gear!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Whoa. This is interesting. Turns out that the Bandai 1:72 does indeed have the engine grille spacing of the TFA CGI model - around 45 openings. Versus the Special Edition's finer 75-80 opening grille. But - it doesn't have the internal engine detailing used on the TFA ship!

Its internal detailing is closer to, but not identical to, the model used in the FineMolds 1:72 Falcon.

http://www.rebelscum.com/2017-San-Diego-Comic-Con/San-Diego-Comic-Con-2017-Bandai-Hobby/image17.asp

To many as well as myself, the production of a 5 foot in 1/72 scale is something that we have dreaming about for 20 years, but for some reason I have some sort of I have remorse that it has been done. Maybe because I have ever finished my own scratch build or maybe because it is one of the last bastions of the Star Wars universe that until now was left to the imagination and skill of the people here and other forums to pursue.

Looks amazing though and very welcome. I may purchase but not build untill I finish my own version.

Ozzy

To many as well as myself, the production of a 5 foot in 1/72 scale is something that we have dreaming about for 20 years, but for some reason I have some sort of I have remorse that it has been done. Maybe because I have ever finished my own scratch build or maybe because it is one of the last bastions of the Star Wars universe that until now was left to the imagination and skill of the people here and other forums to pursue.

I know what you mean. There's hardly anything to do on this one to make it a perfect Star Wars model.

It's like the Rogue Studios guy in Florida finally constructing a replica 5 foot Falcon. On the one hand, it's an amazing piece of work. On the other, that imaginary frontier is now closed!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back