Bandai 1/72 PG Millennium Falcon (also the Revell Germany rebox)

Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

I thought a read somewhere that someone was producing the ESB additional gear for this kit. If this is the case, where can I find them?

Yes sir you are correct. Shapeways designer Tony (308 bits) is working on them. He has done some extraordinary work for the MPC, and a couple things, graciously at my request. When I got my PG kit, that's the first thing I thought of. The MPC boxes are super close and could probably be made to work ( I have a set and sized them up) but, for such a spendy kit I thought it better to have something that's made specific to it. He's made a few other bits for the PG already so I asked him and he agreed. He's been quite busy though lately, but he'll shoot me an email when they're ready and of course I'll give the rest of you guys the heads up. That's what I'm waiting for before I start mine :thumbsup ESB rules! :lol
I thought a read somewhere that someone was producing the ESB additional gear for this kit. If this is the case, where can I find them?

I think that makes like 4 of us now waiting on the ESB gear boxes. Glad I'm not the only one :lol and not to diss on the ANH guys what so ever...people like what they like. I was telling another of our brethren, I was actually surprised that Bandai didn't include optional parts. Rumor is, and it's just that, a rumor...Bandai might offer the kit in the near with those bits included. Perhaps the demand is there? We'll see I suppose.

Yes sir you are correct. Shapeways designer Tony (308 bits) is working on them. He has done some extraordinary work for the MPC, and a couple things, graciously at my request. When I got my PG kit, that's the first thing I thought of. The MPC boxes are super close and could probably be made to work ( I have a set and sized them up) but, for such a spendy kit I thought it better to have something that's made specific to it. He's made a few other bits for the PG already so I asked him and he agreed. He's been quite busy though lately, but he'll shoot me an email when they're ready and of course I'll give the rest of you guys the heads up. That's what I'm waiting for before I start mine :thumbsup ESB rules! :lol

Sounds good! Thanks for the update!

I think that makes like 4 of us now waiting on the ESB gear boxes. Glad I'm not the only one :lol and not to diss on the ANH guys what so ever...people like what they like. I was telling another of our brethren, I was actually surprised that Bandai didn't include optional parts. Rumor is, and it's just that, a rumor...Bandai might offer the kit in the near with those bits included. Perhaps the demand is there? We'll see I suppose.

Count me in as waiting, too... I'm doing mine in a cloud city display along with my Boba Fett Slave 1.

Now that's something I'm looking forward to seeing you do, considering what you're doing with the tiny scale Docking Bay 94...it should be nothing short of spectacular! :thumbsup
Count me in as waiting, too... I'm doing mine in a cloud city display along with my Boba Fett Slave 1.

Wonder when Bandai will get around to the cloud city patrol twin pod in classic burnt orange. A must have in 1/72 to accompany the MF in a cloud city display.
And a hoth probe droid for that matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't argue that one, I'm still perplexed at the fact they did a 1/48 snow speeder with a 1/144 but NOT a 1/72?? wtf?! They've gotta know they'd sell that stuff :wacko
Wonder when Bandai will get around to the cloud city patrol twin pod in classic burnt orange. A must have in 1/72 to accompany the MF in a cloud city display.
And a hoth probe droid for that matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now that's something I'm looking forward to seeing you do, considering what you're doing with the tiny scale Docking Bay 94...it should be nothing short of spectacular! :thumbsup

I can't wait to get started on that... I already have a display platform for it, well, half of it... That's going to be fun!

I'm surprised and disappointed green strawberries and paragraphix are still MIA with cockpit photoetch kits

I find that surprising as well. I hope one of them does before I start on mine. I could probably make the digital line work for them, but I have no idea how to actually get them made on brass.

Right?! I actually ordered another product from Green recently and specifically asked about it, the answer was..."we currently have nothing in the works or planned for it". now you would think they would because they'd be selling those hand over fist right now. weird
I'm surprised and disappointed green strawberries and paragraphix are still MIA with cockpit photoetch kits

It's odd because 90% of the art they've done for previous sets just needs to be size adjusted and it would be print ready. Talk about low hanging fruit...

I’m not surprised that Bandai didn’t include optional landing gear boxes with the PG Falcon. After all, they are a profit-making company and not a charity, and they need to recoup their sizeable investment in the tooling for that kit. One way to do it is to charge a lot for the thing, and have a limited edition run with extra features. Another way is to release a variant in the future. They’ve already done almost all the preparatory engineering to do an ESB-era Falcon (undersaucer in two halves, internal channels for headlights, extra connectors on the battery box); it’s just a matter of waiting, I expect!

- nkg

It depends on how well they did on the PG Falcon. We here at the RPF are all eat-up with the kit, but, just how well did it do in the general population of modelers? How many kits did they sell? It may not seem so to us, but it is a niche kit owing to the price and the complexity of the build and painting. Some may have been put-off by either issue. Bandai is not going to share their sales figures with us, so we have to wait and see if they decide to go with an ESB kit or parts.

You know, you may be right...like an iphone or whatever...why have ALL the features on the introductory model. re-release later with extra goodies and that brings back previous buyers...except for those of us who go another route like the few of us here that are waiting for Tony's parts. At this price point though, even if I had to modify Tony's MPC parts which are really close, I'd be doing that rather than buying a second kit. but there are guys out there that will spend the money, and like myself at one point, have no clue of the existence of upgrade parts or scratching up their own. smart marketing :thumbsup
I’m not surprised that Bandai didn’t include optional landing gear boxes with the PG Falcon. After all, they are a profit-making company and not a charity, and they need to recoup their sizeable investment in the tooling for that kit. One way to do it is to charge a lot for the thing, and have a limited edition run with extra features. Another way is to release a variant in the future. They’ve already done almost all the preparatory engineering to do an ESB-era Falcon (undersaucer in two halves, internal channels for headlights, extra connectors on the battery box); it’s just a matter of waiting, I expect!

- nkg

I'd call that a solid speculation as well.:thumbsup and you're quite right about "us" being 'all eat up' with it since some of us tend to tunnel vision on SW stuff. I drift occasionally, like the Disney Nautilus builds I've done, but for most of the last few years it's been all SW for me.
It depends on how well they did on the PG Falcon. We here at the RPF are all eat-up with the kit, but, just how well did it do in the general population of modelers? How many kits did they sell? It may not seem so to us, but it is a niche kit owing to the price and the complexity of the build and painting. Some may have been put-off by either issue. Bandai is not going to share their sales figures with us, so we have to wait and see if they decide to go with an ESB kit or parts.

I am Admin on the NautilusSubmarine.com site, so I am pretty focussed on Nautilus stuff; but I am also a huge SW fan, so I naturally bought a PG Falcon (Hell, I paid $1200.00 for a 66" Nautilus kit a few years ago). I loved the high quality and the amazing build process of the PG, so I'm happy all the way around.

You don't say?! A 66" would sooo much fun to do. (don't know where I'd put it though) I did a 31" I got from masterpiece models, wasn't real impressed with the quality though. Had to get some Shapeways stuff for it. You probably know Bob Martin then I'm sure, he helped out greatly in straightening out the troubles with it. Super guy. I sold the one to a guy in the UK. I then bought one from Bob,(for myself) much better kit and I got all the extra salon pieces with it. it's sitting in the closet waiting. I also did a Pegasus for a friend in CA. He wants a Disney one too, but hasn't the funds. I did Bob's rusting process on both builds, works awesome.:thumbsup
I am Admin on the NautilusSubmarine.com site, so I am pretty focussed on Nautilus stuff; but I am also a huge SW fan, so I naturally bought a PG Falcon (Hell, I paid $1200.00 for a 66" Nautilus kit a few years ago). I loved the high quality and the amazing build process of the PG, so I'm happy all the way around.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back