Bandai 1/72 Gold Leader Y-Wing Fighter - Assembled and painted by StevetheSwede

cking

Sr Member
Once again, my great friend Steve in Sweden is well on the way to creating a beautiful scaled down ILM quality paintjob on the fantastic Bandai 1/72 Y-Wing Fighter.

Attachments

• 84-Y-Wing-Progress-210120.jpeg
    84-Y-Wing-Progress-210120.jpeg
    715 KB · Views: 383
  • 88-Y-Wing-Progress-310120.jpg
    88-Y-Wing-Progress-310120.jpg
    500.7 KB · Views: 392
Here's a few earlier progress shots.

Attachments

• 76-Y-Wing-Progress-060120.jpeg
    76-Y-Wing-Progress-060120.jpeg
    223.3 KB · Views: 272
  • 77-Y-Wing-Progress-060120.JPG
    77-Y-Wing-Progress-060120.JPG
    435 KB · Views: 268
  • 78-Y-Wing-Progress-060120.JPG
    78-Y-Wing-Progress-060120.JPG
    430.8 KB · Views: 277
  • 80-Y-Wing-Progress-140120.jpeg
    80-Y-Wing-Progress-140120.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 291
Thanks guys!
Petr - I'll definitely be doing a photoshoot with the set of Bandai 1/72 ships that my friend Steve has completed for me. Falcon, TIE Fighters (x2), Darth Vader's TIE Fighter, X-Wing and Y-Wing.

Some beautiful 99% completed photos from Steve. Just brilliant that he is able to scale down an ILM paintjob like this.

Attachments

• 90-Y-Wing-Progress-050220.jpeg
    90-Y-Wing-Progress-050220.jpeg
    360.7 KB · Views: 228
  • 94-Y-Wing-Progress-050220.jpeg
    94-Y-Wing-Progress-050220.jpeg
    455.2 KB · Views: 236
  • 95-Y-Wing-Progress-050220.jpeg
    95-Y-Wing-Progress-050220.jpeg
    345.3 KB · Views: 251
  • 92-Y-Wing-Progress-050220.jpeg
    92-Y-Wing-Progress-050220.jpeg
    406.9 KB · Views: 232
And here is the completed model. ABSOLUTELY superb work from master artist StevetheSwede!

In the side by side photos, the ILM miniature is on the left and the Bandai 1/72 is on the right. (y)

Steve mixes all colours by himself. Not an ArchiveX paint in sight (mainly because Steve only works in acrylics which ArchiveX don't supply (yet).

Attachments

• 1-24th-and-1-72nd-Y-Wing.jpg
    1-24th-and-1-72nd-Y-Wing.jpg
    626.4 KB · Views: 242
  • fullsizeoutput_3751.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_3751.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 262
  • Y-Wing-Chronicles-Comparison.jpg
    Y-Wing-Chronicles-Comparison.jpg
    705.1 KB · Views: 265
He did an excellent job mimicking the photo and it can easily pass for a picture of the filming model

I would love to see some step by step videos or pics showing the techniques he uses. i.e. s it all airbrush, or if washes and filters, what kind of paints (oils, acrylics etc...)

As an aside, and not that it matters for anything other than a point of interest, but technically that is the "unfinished" version of Gold Leader. There was more weathering added before it was filmed

And just to be clear, it is not meant as a knock on any of the amazing work Steve did as I am sure he would have copied this just as well if this source was used. So please don't take it as negative criticism in any way. Purely informational

Below are some pics posted on a studio scale modeler's facebook page some time ago ( Monsieur Tox)
I cam across them when I was looking for source material when painting my own and was surprised as all I had seen previously were the published photos of the "unfinished" one

I am not sure where he got the pics from, but this is how Gold Leader looked during filming. You can see that distinctive dark streak down the right side of the canopy for example on film as well as some other darker blasts marks/streaking elsewhere

Although in ways, I kind of prefer the "unfinished" look from those published source pics used. When I did mine, I tried to go somewhere in between as the one below feels a bit over the top. Pure speculation, but the additional weathering was probably added shortly before or during filming when they may have realized that much of the weathering got lost when doing test shots with the lighting used. So they added some heavier weathering?

_nc_ohc=ANd7dcE-WeUAX95ntGE&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.jpg

_nc_ohc=lm79edpmJA4AX_j102R&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.jpg

_nc_ohc=hZjFq9EH5GQAX-CDGsB&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.jpg

_nc_ohc=4p0HHHa2yysAX-SjIcW&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.jpg

Yes, I had saved those excellent photos and was aware that the Chronicles photos are the pre-filming version of the model. However, I just prefer the look of it without all that additional weathering on it, so I asked Steve to just match this one up to the Chronicles photos.

Yes, I had saved those excellent photos and was aware that the Chronicles photos are the pre-filming version of the model. However, I just prefer the look of it without all that additional weathering on it, so I asked Steve to just match this one up to the Chronicles photos.

Like I mentioned, I kind of prefer that look as well (although I did add the streak at the right side of the canopy, but I just toned it down a bit)

Just wanted to make sure if you had not seen those pictures, you still had time to ask him to add the additional weathering if that was something that appealed to you.

After all, some people like to go for total accuracy regardless of whether that may be the most realistic or better looking choice. It's why we have people replacing a fully fleshed out cockpit with a filming model cockpit that looks nothing like the filming set in the PG Falcon or why people want race car drivers as pilots :lol:

Personally, I am somewhere in the middle.

More pics

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_3752.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_3752.jpeg
    692.3 KB · Views: 212
  • fullsizeoutput_3754.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_3754.jpeg
    702.7 KB · Views: 217
  • fullsizeoutput_3755.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_3755.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 222
beautiful! It's also a testament to just how fine the detailing is on these Bandai kits; they can look so much larger in photos than they really are! Love the rusty coloring on the pipes too.

Absolutely. The detail that Bandai have got into these little kits is outstanding. With a paintjob as expertly refined as what Steve has done, it's very difficult to tell that it's such a small model when looking at the photos. Here's the final batch of photos that I received before it has been packed up for shipping.

beautiful! It's also a testament to just how fine the detailing is on these Bandai kits; they can look so much larger in photos than they really are! Love the rusty coloring on the pipes too.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_376c.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_376c.jpeg
    573.1 KB · Views: 197
  • fullsizeoutput_376f.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_376f.jpeg
    393.5 KB · Views: 201
  • fullsizeoutput_3765.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_3765.jpeg
    565.6 KB · Views: 192
  • fullsizeoutput_3768.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_3768.jpeg
    532.6 KB · Views: 193
  • fullsizeoutput_3769.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_3769.jpeg
    599.8 KB · Views: 191
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back