Back to the Future Time Circuits

Valor

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Coming off of a Flux Capacitor build I wanted to bring the Time Circuits to life. And I know a lot of people have done amazing versions with Arduino and 7-segment LED characters. But what I'm looking to do is something a bit more analog. I read that for the film the Time Circuits had a simple back-lit solution for the NOV and OCT characters because there were not solutions to do this as actual 7-digit LED characters. This got me to thinking. Could I do the entire thing with backlit characters? I recently bought a Cricut so I thought simply cutting the characters out of black vinyl and use a red plastic filter would give me the look. But one thing bothered me:

If you look closely at a 7-segment LED character, you see the illuminated segments, but you also see the UN-ILLUMINATED segments slightly. I wanted this depth. So, what I've landed on is a three layer approach:
1) Red filter sheet (and green and yellow for the other two)
2) The "Lit" segments cut out of a limo-dark window tint
3) All segments cut out of a black (opaque) vinyl

When I line all three of these up over a lightbox it looks really convincing.

I have the face plates being cut and bent at sendcutsend. From there I'll put all this together.

more to come ...
IMG_5247.jpeg
IMG_5238.jpeg
IMG_5251.jpeg
IMG_5248.jpeg

I started working on the enclosure ... I had two plans in my head. One is to use the original/accurate LMB Heeger cr852 electronics enclosure. My second plan which I'm showing here is to have the faces cut and bent from sendcutsend. I got those pieces today and whipped up a simple acrylic enclosure to hold them. Its not bad ... A tad off-accurate with the more rolled corners.

I also have the Heeger boxes on order ... so I might just scrap what you're seeing here. don't know yet.
C9266190-B190-4FF0-A693-80345DFE997B.jpg
IMG_5276.jpeg

Pretty cool. I'm curious... for the numbers why not use real 7 segment displays and just hard wire them to the numbers you chose? You're idea is clever and cheaper... I guess I kind of answered my own question. It really does look realistic. Great work.

Pretty cool. I'm curious... for the numbers why not use real 7 segment displays and just hard wire them to the numbers you chose? You're idea is clever and cheaper... I guess I kind of answered my own question. It really does look realistic. Great work.
You nailed it. I'm clever, and cheap ... also I don't know how to program those. Nor do I really want that much functionality. I just want a lit display for my shelf. See? Clever and Cheap.

Okay, here' the final piece. Overall I'm really happy with the results. To get the effect of the 7-segment digits there are 5-6 layers of transparency. The digits are more clear in person. These photos are a bit blown out. It's essentially a big lightbox illuminated by two strips of 3-row LEDS.

IMG_5322.jpeg
IMG_5321.jpeg
IMG_5324.jpeg

Okay, here' the final piece. Overall I'm really happy with the results. To get the effect of the 7-segment digits there are 5-6 layers of transparency. The digits are more clear in person. These photos are a bit blown out. It's essentially a big lightbox illuminated by two strips of 3-row LEDS.
It looks fantastic! Congratulations!

Okay, I wasn't happy with the contrast between the "Lit" segments and the "Unlit" segments. I wanted the Unlit to be darker. So, I bought some more window tint and did another layer of "Unlit" segments. It's tricky to photograph, but I feel like the effect is much more accurate. Maybe this only makes sense to me :)

IMG_5341.jpeg

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back