Avengers: Age of Ultron (Pre-release)

I've yet to understand the connection between AC/DC and IM. I've never understood the appeal of their music though so I guess I"m biased.

I think the songs they play are just a part of Tony's vibe
Back in Black: he's out being macho selling Jerocho's making $$$ (being in the black and not in the red)
Shoot To Thrill: Tony doesnt have plans of attack, he shoots for taking out baddies any way he can, and for the thrill for trying out his new suit (since he always upgrades)
Robot Rock: Tony and Rhodey are in suits like "robots" rockin n brawlin
I'm Blue: just to show which time era they're in (my favorite song of that time!!)
I also thought the Soundgarden song in Avengers fit nicely too, the heroes live to rise then fall (they become heroes then later are seen as a threat) to rise again (becoming heroes again)

Plus the first verse of the Live To Rise song sounds like it describes the tesseract and the song as a whole seems to narrate the story pretty well imo

Marvel's weakest connective tissue for their movies has been their themes/music.

I personally disagree, I think Marvel has done a solid job with their scores. My faves thus far have been Djawadi on the first Iron Man and Jackman on TWS, and Silvestri's work on TFA and Avengers were nothing to scoff at. I haven't liked Tyler's work that much but I thought his main score for TDW was solid and his music for IM3 was appropriate for a Shane Black film.

Scores aside, their soundtracks haven't been that memorable, but most of those songs aren't in the films so I don't really care much for the OSTs.

Last edited:
I personally disagree, I think Marvel has done a solid job with their scores. My faves thus far have been Djawadi on the first Iron Man and Jackman on TWS, and Silvestri's work on TFA and Avengers were nothing to scoff at. I haven't liked Tyler's work that much but I thought his main score for TDW was solid and his music for IM3 was appropriate for a Shane Black film.

Scores aside, their soundtracks haven't been that memorable, but most of those songs aren't in the films so I don't really care much for the OSTs.

My problem isn't so much the scores themselves. I loved TWS and Iron Man. Avengers nailed it was well.
The problem is they're never consistent with the theme music made for each movie. Djawadi had a great theme for IM... and was never heard again. I'm pretty sure Silvestri's theme was never used in TWS (unless it was used in the Smithsonian scenes) and I'm betting the Avenger's theme won't make it to A:AoU.

A lot of great movie franchises stick with the same theme for continuity. Star Wars, Superman, Dark Knight, Spider-Man (Raimi), etc.

Marvel has yet to do this in one of their movies. I'm not saying I don't like the music in most of their movies, but I like consistency as well.

My problem isn't so much the scores themselves. I loved TWS and Iron Man. Avengers nailed it was well.
The problem is they're never consistent with the theme music made for each movie. Djawadi had a great theme for IM... and was never heard again. I'm pretty sure Silvestri's theme was never used in TWS (unless it was used in the Smithsonian scenes) and I'm betting the Avenger's theme won't make it to A:AoU.

A lot of great movie franchises stick with the same theme for continuity. Star Wars, Superman, Dark Knight, Spider-Man (Raimi), etc.

Marvel has yet to do this in one of their movies. I'm not saying I don't like the music in most of their movies, but I like consistency as well.

You know as I was typing my earlier response, I was just thinking about what you just said. I think the reason for the lack of a character theme is because Marvel approaches each film even within a character franchise as a different sub-genre, which was most evident with IM3 and TWS. They probably feel this dictates different scores and composers for each film even within the same franchise. For Thor, not sure why they went with Tyler instead of Doyle (preferred the latter), maybe Marvel wanted to try something new and they're allergic to the same-but-bigger approach after the critically panned IM2.

However, Elfman's comments about integrating Silvestri's work from the first Avengers into his AoU score suggests that Marvel may be sticking with the Silvestri score for possibly all the Avengers films. I mean, there can't be much room to change sub-genres for the Avengers films, we basically expect them to be epic superhero team-up movies.

Yea i think they want a sense of individuality in each solo film, having every Avenger have their own styled score tailored to their personal story and challenges they come across on their own. I guess each score would depend on what is happening in the story/plot, which is why they can contrast eachother because Tony is on a different level in his life compared to Rogers, and Rogers is on a different level than Thor, so they all get their own feel and vibe with each solo film with their scores.

I do hope AoU has an Avengers-type score, being that we're revisting the heroes teaming back up against an army that is a dire threat to the human race and earth and stuff like that that is similar to the story in the original Avengers

Meh... I don't like it. I liked the old days when you heard a theme and immediately thought "SUPERMAN!!!". Now you hear a theme and it's "Was that IM 1, 2, or 3?"

All the charaters may not have a theme but Cap does.
It was in TFA, the Avengers when Cap appeared in Germany, heard it again when Loki as Cap appeared in Thor the Dark World and then lastly in "On the Left" in the TWS.

While nothing specific, AC/DC just works for Iron Man.

But, I hope that we get another score like the first Avengers.

I've watched every Marvel movie at least 10-15 times each and the only musical themes I can remember are the first Iron Man theme, The Avengers theme, and Cap's Star Spangled Man song. Nothing else sticks in my brain. For me, that tells me none of the rest were very memorable.

That's not saying there were not good musical scores, just saying they had no hook that stuck with you.

So apparently some more new cool footage in the new spot. I am going to resist it, resist it I say. Another month or so of waiting.

Hey, couldn't resist. :D

In the words of Quicksilver, "You didn't see that coming?" :rolleyes

Last edited by a moderator:
*clears throat*

Screen Shot 2015-03-19 at 2.50.33 PM.png

Called it.

Awesome TV spot. I'm so pumped. I hope Quicksilver's role is small though. I'm not a fan of the actor's bland faced deer-in-the-headlights thing. It was cute when he was a clueless dweeb in Kick Ass. It doesn't work anymore though.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back