Question Avatar Maximum Resolution Change

The Searcher

Sr Member
Hello everyone, is it just me, or did you guys all get a message saying “your avatar looks like it’s from 1995” or something like that? Eitherways, I clicked on that link and was asked to reupload it. I’m guessing the max resolution has been raised significantly, because my previous avatar was uploaded at 400x400 (the maximum allowed at the time), and now it’s asking for an avatar with at least that much. Thankfully, I was able to get a better render of my own avatar stored in my files, but I’m wondering how you guys will fare with this or what you think.

Welcome to the future!

Funniest thing is, right after implementing this, I received the notice myself and had to update my own avatar! Doh!!!

I got the same thing.

But my current avatar exceeds the 400x400. It's actually 616x548.

I'd like to keep it.

Ya know whats funny, I recognize members more by their avatar than their screen name. When someone changes their avatar im all like, 'Who is this guy being all knowledgeable?'. Then I read the screen name and go 'Doh!'

Keeping mine. I like it. :)

No need to change. Just move to a 400X400. ;) Like this:

Egon Spengler.jpg

Vs your current version:
Egon Spengler Comp.jpg

Ya know whats funny, I recognize members more by their avatar than their screen name. When someone changes their avatar im all like, 'Who is this guy being all knowledgeable?'. Then I read the screen name and go 'Doh!'

Same here.... hey... waitaminute.. you changed yours!

Does keeping the lower resolution avatar cause a problem for the website? Or is is it simply a cosmetic thing?

It is purely aesthetic, but don't let that dissuade you. Much of the user experience on a site is aesthetic. As with so many things, because of the massive rise of mobile usagae, the need for high-res imagery is largely geared toward mobile users with res retina displays. We have had to do the same with all the graphics for the site, even down to the favicon.

It is purely aesthetic, but don't let that dissuade you. Much of the user experience on a site is aesthetic. As with so many things, because of the massive rise of mobile usagae, the need for high-res imagery is largely geared toward mobile users with res retina displays. We have had to do the same with all the graphics for the site, even down to the favicon.
Thanks for the quick reply!
I had to create a low resolution version of my avatar before, cuz that was the limit - so now I can replace it with the original image.

Thanks for the quick reply!
I had to create a low resolution version of my avatar before, cuz that was the limit - so now I can replace it with the original image.

I remember when the limit was 60X60... and some people still have avatars at that size!

Such an odd cycle.

First we used to compress out images, and re-size correctly (using an editor, not HTML attributes).. to help mobile devices download stuff better/faster/save bandwidth...etc

Now we are going the opposite direction to help mobile and their hi-res displays.

LOL

Such an odd cycle.

First we used to compress out images, and re-size correctly (using an editor, not HTML attributes).. to help mobile devices download stuff better/faster/save bandwidth...etc

Now we are going the opposite direction to help mobile and their hi-res displays.

LOL

The REALLY frustrating thing is that unlike sites like Facebook that compress everythign to death, we don't (so you largely get unmolested image files) and then people complain about load speeds. :( Can't win, but we just keep trying.

I hear ya...

I do this stuff for a living.. and deal with people who dont understand the correlation/relationship between things like this.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back