AT-ST Parts

Discussion in 'Studio Scale Models' started by KAIBURR, Nov 30, 2001.

1. KAIBURR

KAIBURR Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I've changed my moniker back to KAIBURR again (I was "modeleers", and originated this topic).

The round object below the "chin" is baffling the hell out of me. Any ideas out there as to it's familiarity?

Nathan
    nkhyber@aol.com

2. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

tank wheels?

3. KAIBURR

Jay, I think perhaps you're refering to the bits beneath the main gun (which I agree probably are tank wheels) but I'm talking about that little dome shape on the underside with the three grooves on it. Any othe takers?

Nathan
    nkhyber@aol.com

4. Ketzer.com

Ketzer.com Sr Member

The side parts of the main gun are from the Churchill Crocodile and the inner parts are from a 1/12 scale Ford engine. (Tyrell or Lotus etc...)

Maybe that dome thing is made from a Plastruct dish...

Tim

5. KAIBURR

Tim,

GOD! I just scratchbuilt that gun assembly! Well thanks for the info, I'm off to the hobby store!

Nathan
    Nkhyber@aol.com

6. EchoLeader

EchoLeader Well-Known Member

Have you guys seen this????

Rolando

[​IMG]

7. KAIBURR

I can't get any of these photos on this page to open up. Is anyone else having this kind of trouble? As for the walker, she's lookin mighty pretty right now. I'll try and get some photos up as soon as this problem's fixed!

Nathan
    nkhyber@aol.com

8. KAIBURR

Rolando, could you please post whatever it was you were showing another way so we could see it? Is this photopoint thing ever going to resolve?

Nathan
    nkhyber@aol.com

9. JPolacchi

JPolacchi Sr Member

Im not sure if im adding to the "help list" with parts or not,but are'nt there 1/12 Tamiya ferrari 312T4 parts on the smaller go-motion scale?I was looking at the kit I bought and it seems to me that the hose parts were used. Im not sure if any other engine parts were used like the block or anything else,but it sure looks like it-John

10. EchoLeader

Nathan, I'm trying to get my own website going where I can host my archived photos and not have to deal with photo albums any longer. I'm tired of dealing with them.

If you need some particular pics let me know and I'll E-Mail them your way.

Rolando

11. KAIBURR

Rolando,

I was just curious about your previous "Have you guys seen this?" post. If it pertains to the Scout Walker, I'd love to see it. As far as image hosting goes, would anyone be willing to host or post some "work in progress" shots of my AT-ST head? I could email JPEGs to whoever feels generous. Or perhaps someone knows if AOL has HTML sites to use...

Nathan
    nkhyber@aol.com

12. EchoLeader

Nathan, the site I was trying to post the picture from no longer exists. Here what I was able to get from the new pcmodeler website though.

[​IMG]

1/6 scale! That's a GI Joe figure in there.

Rolando

13. KAIBURR

Thanks Rolando for posting that.

Pretty damned wicked if you ask me. And HUGE! I saw this model in a catalog for a company called TAP Plastics here in Portland. Apparently that guy is an employee and used mainly acrylic sheet for the model. Certainly an inspiration (though I think the cabin is slightly too small...) to finish this thing! Is ANYONE else out there making this currently, or am I all alone?

Nathan

14. KAIBURR

Can anyone help me post an image of my work in progress?

Nathan

15. EchoLeader

Okay, here are Kaiburr's (Nathan) pics of the AT-ST in progress. Looking awesome for sure!

Rolando

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. JPolacchi

JPolacchi Sr Member

Excellent!Great work Nathan!Cant wait till ya finish it!

17. KAIBURR

Thanks for the compliment John, and Rolando for posting those shots. To be clear, the top picture is the actual studio model and one of the photos I work off of. I am still searching for the race car engine that is on the back of the gyro-body. John, perhaps that Ferrari could be looked at? After I took these pictures, I found the Ford engine part Tim lead me to, so I'll try and have more pictures made with this part intact and (God willing) get them posted!

Thanks,
    nathan

18. JPolacchi

JPolacchi Sr Member

No worries nathan.....Ive got heaps of stuff to do today,but can easily look through the kit.Im not positive about the parts though.Im not very confident in my part identification....but it does look like the hose parts to that ferrari were used,and perhaps part of the engine block?There are so many models I want to make,Im having trouble just trying to get the 32" Falcon project off the ground.I'd love to make an AT-AT and AT-ST....along with a few others....the Y-wing,B-wing,an A-wing....Maybe an X-wing......looks like there will be lots of urethane castings in the future,cause I'll go broke buying kits.I'll do whatever I can to help,keep up the good work-John

19. JPolacchi

JPolacchi Sr Member

Hey Nathan,Ive been starring at my 1/12 Ferrari kit for a while now..really looking over the engine parts...I need to study pics more closely in my Chronicals book.Its realy hard for me to say,cause I dont wanna give you false info.I'm fairly certain a few of the Ferrari hose parts were used on the At-St....but Im looking at the engine block,other parts associuated with it&the assembly manuel...and its tough for me to say.There are so many other Tamiya kits out there that could have been used.From the diagram it looks like that its possible the fule injection assembly was used(part that the head of At-St sits on)in some fassion.Only thing I know about this particular Tamiya kit is that parts were used for detailing the B-wing..hoses,I think the head,or valve cover was set ontop of the mid-section where engines are....I'm trying to see if anything else was used from this kit on the B-wing...I need better pictures.From the looks of it(I could be wrong) I think some additional engine/transmission parts may have been used on the 32" Falcon along with that pesky 1/8 Entex Porsche transmission.Anyways,I'll keep looking and try to determine for sure if any of these Ferrari parts were used on the AT-ST,till next time-John

20. JPolacchi

JPolacchi Sr Member

Hey Nathan,after looking at the pictures in the Chronicals book,I think I can be pretty sure in saying that nothing else from the 1/12 tamiya Ferrari kit was used.I think something else was used,or maybe ILM fabricated the basic shape and dressed it up with kit parts.From the pics...it looks like hatches,or torpeedo/missle doors from a submarine...or an exhaus manifold from another kind of car kit?,I had a dragon kit some time ago and I had to scratch build a ship/vehical of some sort for the class&I used the missle/torpedo hatch covers to decorate the ship I made,along with heaps of other parts,needless to say I dont have the ship anymore,the school kept it for display.As far as the hose parts go,I'm still not sure.ILM could have used anything for the hoses,or perhaps they could have sofened the parts in hot water&re-configured them to their liking...Im not sure,I wish i could be more certain,but like I said,I dont want to give false information.Just those hose parts look too much like the ones used on the smaller go-motion scale AT-ST.I'll keep looking,till next time-John

21. EchoLeader

Here are a couple more pics of the different scaled models used. These are from an old Cinefex book.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rolando

22. KAIBURR

Thanks Rolando, Those are some cool shots! Looks like my right side "heavy" gun is too * long! I'll be choppin' that puppy pronto! I've moved from the cabin "head" down to the main gyro "body" now. I should develop some photos of this in a week or so!

23. Treadwell

In the first pic and the first color pic of the bigger scale model, I think I see a Visible V8 piston rod at the walker's "hips", where the leg meets the body.

24. EchoLeader

Nathan, let me know on those progress shots and I'll post them for you.

Rolando

25. KAIBURR

Jay,

I think I see what you're looking at. What scale of car do you suppose this part might've come from?

I am busy detailing the legs right now and making them ready for casting. So far so good. Sorry about the lack of photos but i promise they'll be up soon, courtesy of Rolando.
    The chicken is finally coming together! Is anyone else out there building one?I know I've asked this before, but it seems such a lonely quest!

Nathan

26. Treadwell

Not sure of the scale, but I'm not referring to a car but a model of the V8 engine, the "Visible V8", a biiig kit by Renwal in the 60s, with the same tooling later released by Revell. Still in production. Parts from it turn up on a lot of ESB props, but this is the first time I've seen one on a model, much less anything in ROTJ. (Assuming I'm correct, of course.)

27. EchoLeader

Drum Roll please............

Here's Nathan's excellent in progress work!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got a light????

Rolando

28. JPolacchi

JPolacchi Sr Member

BLOODY HELL!!!That is F!#%%^$@^?&%#!@#$$%ing Excellent!Superb work&craftsmanship Nathan.I can only hope my projects come out as nice as yur At-St....keep the pics&updates comming-John

29. KAIBURR

Thanks guys! With the right amount of inspiration and proper plans, anything is possible. The biggest problem facing me is making this stand without the armature. I'll be showing more soon. Once again, thanks Rolando for the posting!

Nathan

30. -... . .- --..

-... . .- --.. Sr Member

31. JPolacchi

JPolacchi Sr Member

Hey Nathan,out of curiosity,did you use the blue prints from "The Art Of Return of the Jedi" to make yur AT-ST,or were you using the Chroinicals more?I seem to remember that book having the blueprints for that minature in there.On a lighter note....if you had prints (with exact dimensions)I could machine a simple non poseable armature for ya from aluminum plate&bar stock.Just thought I'd throw that at ya...keep the good work comming-John

32. DARKSIDE72

DARKSIDE72 Sr Member

Nathan,
    Very nice looking model. Good job!!

33. KAIBURR

Thanks Jamie and beaz. As for blueprints, John, I used the Art of ROTJ mainly for the cabin, but the legs (especially the middle portion) were far too long which leads me to suspect that this was not the final blueprint. So for the middle portion of the leg, I modified based on the chronicles picture of the lifesize "leg in assembly".
    As for the armature, thanks for the offer. I may take you up on your machine skills. there is one piece that continues to be a load bearing problem. If I could just get two made, this bird would stand without an armature, I believe. Failing that, and I will most definately commission it. Please email me for the details!

Nathan
    nkhyber@aol.com

34. JPolacchi

JPolacchi Sr Member

Is it leaning over cause its top heavy?You may just need something really simple....like what stop motion animators use to anchor their puppets to sets when filming...just a threaded stud on the bottom(available at hardware stored) of the foot/feet and have it screwed/bolted down to a base.Yur windo of opportunity for me to machine anything for ya would be until about mid may,I dont have a vertical mill at home,nor do I have a lathe....but I'll have the time to do in in the shop at school.Keep the progress comming [​IMG] -John

35. KAIBURR

my concern is that the cabin's weight may in time bow the legs which are partially resin. This would truly suck. i did submerge acrylic rod in some of the leg parts and some are entirely acrylic, but i am still a bit worried. I've just epoxied them in a fixed pose and in a few days I'll see if he can wear the big boy pants... Failing that, than it is back to the armature, which isn't a total loss but is a little obtrusive especially the "natural" way I plan on displaying it.

N

36. JPolacchi

JPolacchi Sr Member

Hey Nathan...well....if I remember right(going back years) acrylic is very rigid,and has'nt much give to it.....urethane resin...should have very little give as well.I dont think that the legs would give unless yur gonna have yur minature baking under hot lights.Was the body&head made of acrylc as well..or styrene sheet?Looks like all styrene.I think that its just a bit top heavy...the head does'nt sit top dead center....slightly forward....so its gonna wanna naturally tilt forward.If the rest of the model is made of styrene as it looks it is,I think yur legs will "hold up".Styrene does have a nature to want to "warp" over years as acrylic does'nt...and the only thing that attacks both urethane resins&styrene is sunlight,beceause either are UV resistant.Both will discolor&become brittle from direct light....& styrene will warp horribly.I think(guessing)but I think it will be ok,all you need is something to anchor the feet down on the bottoms of the feet.But Im not sure how heavy the rest of the model is.I think that when you finsh the feet(bottom pads) that if you use a threaded stud&bolt the model down to a base.....it should stand up fine,and I dont think the legs will fold under the weight unless the top half is excessively heavy....and if this does'nt work...I think a simple machined armature cast into the legs&mid section(making them entirely resin) will be the best bullet proof way of ensuring that you'll never have to worry about the legs warping or anything like that.

37. KAIBURR

Well he's up and standing! I think all I'll really need is to mount his feet with screws into the base as John mentioned. I think I'll go easy on Rolando's server and wait on photos till the paintjob and diorama base is complete. Thanks to you all for your help on this! This project has served as a major eye-opener for me and will lead me to do other, even more complex scratch projects.

All the best,
    Nathan

38. Flintlock

Flintlock Sr Member

</SPAN><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>
    Treadwell wrote:
    <HR></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>
    Parts from it turn up on a lot of ESB props, but this is the first time I've seen one on a model, much less anything in ROTJ. (Assuming I'm correct, of course.)
    </TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><SPAN CLASS=$row_color>

Sorry if this is a bit late, or if anyone said something already...
    When is the first time you see an AT-ST? Early off in ESB, right? That one had legs that looked a bit long and awkward to what we are used to seeing, which is the Jedi version (at least I think...) Maybe they just recreated the models for Jedi based on what they already had for ESB, and changed anything they thought wasn't right... Just a thought.

39. Treadwell

Indeed!

40. KAIBURR

Uncertain as to why they changed design, but the legs were only part of the renovation. The head is quite different too (kenner's AT-ST is based on the TESB version). Perhaps this was meant to be slightly modified for a different "campaign" (like in modern day armour). I think the Jedi version has a lot more personality, so that was the one I went for (though I put it in snow anyways...) The "action figure archives" book shows a pretty cool comparison shot of the two.

Nathan

41. EchoLeader

And for the latest update from Nathan.....drum roll please.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rolando

42. KAIBURR

Thanks again Rolando for posting those!

I had to shoot her again for a job resume, so I thought you'd appreciate the progress report. As you can see, I'm almost done with it. "Two or more things, and we're in great shape..."
    Still missing are the knee armour bits, the belly dome thing and the "clip" looking thing behind the legs, plus I think some of the airbrushing is a bit over the top. All to be fixed.
    I would appreciate any comments out there? Did I miss anything?

Nathan
    nkhyber@aol.com

43. KAIBURR

Just dipping my toe in here a bit to see if anyone would be interested in a kit of this thing... We're thinking of making up a batch of twelve to sell. Any takers?

Nathan
    nkhyber@aol.com

44. EchoLeader

Nathan,

I'd be interested! What kind of price are we looking at?

Rolando

45. moffeaton

moffeaton Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'm totally in!
    Hey Rolando - I should be done the TIE Bomber this weekend [​IMG]

So, back to our regularly scheduled thread - yes yes yes, I'd love to get a kit of this.

Jason

46. Thrawn2222

Thrawn2222 New Member

Any pictures?

47. EchoLeader

Pictures???? This whole thread has pictures of Nathans model, he even got that girl from the 70's Show to pose with it [​IMG]

Jason, I can't wait to see your TIE Bomber completed and lit! I hope you're taking a bunch of pics.

Rolando

48. KAIBURR

When it's all ready to cast, I'll send Rolando some more shots but I hate filling up his server space. And, yes, I have actually captured that 70's Show girl to do the scale comparisons! Anyone interested can contact me or Mikel about the price : prvtprtz@aol.com or nkhyber@aol.com

Nathan

49. Thrawn2222

Thrawn2222 New Member

oh, i gotta scoure this thread then [​IMG]

50. EchoLeader

Nathan, send the pics my way chief and I'll put them up, no problemo.

Rolando