AT-ST by Bandai

Jaitea

Master Member
Here goes another one

Such a brilliant model, so I thought I'd show my build-up

This went together like a dream,.....only thing I modified was the guards (unprimed) which are thinned down....they look too thick
Body.jpg

The legs, I made more articulate as Unreality demonstrated http://www.scalemodeladdict.com/SMF/index.php/topic,12128.msg185211.html#msg185211

Brilliant job.....I left out the ankle tendon thing completely as it looks wrong & I'm replacing it with styrene:
Leg%206.jpg

You can see that the bump in the rod thing should end up lining up with the end of the leg that it originates with:
Strap.jpg

The removal of this part (I didn't want to destroy it) leaves an empty space at the ankle, so i put in a small wheel from my spares box:
wheel%202.jpg

wheel.jpg

leg%205.jpg

Leg%203.jpg

This new tendon bar just slides in (I'm gonna make a new one as I kinked this one whilst sanding):
Leg%202.jpg

Leg.jpg

I also chopped off the head & forearms of one of the drivers to try and make him look more natural:
pilots.jpg

The sides of the face of the AT-ST looks a bit too angular (spotted by MonsieurTox)
http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=235733&p=3589173&viewfull=1#post3589173
so I sanded a bit of a curve to the sides:
head.jpg

Thanks for looking
John

Nice job so far !

Be careful, you have posted ref pics of the ROTJ pyro AT-ST which is a whole different bird :)
The Bandai AT-ST was modeled after the two small go-motion AT-ST.
What you called the tendon is screwed to the wheel and that's the top of the tendon strip that slides between the back of the leg and the rod thing.

Same with the head sides, as weird as it is the pyro and go mo models have opposite curves !! I mean you recreated the convex sides of the pyro while the go mo sides are concave... And the TESB ATST head sides are straight ! Those guys were funny ! :)

keep up the good work, this is a great kit !!

Thanks Julien,....I knew you'd keep me right

Theres so many differences in the models......UGHHHHH!!!!

I'll just keep going,... I have quite a few good reference pics of the pyro I guess

I just hope that there isn't others who have unnecessarily chopped bits off now thinking this is the way to go

J

I guess if you are recreating a ROTJ AT-ST that's not a big problem, you can do a mix of all the version (the 1:1 is different too haha).
But the pyro and the gomo (the bandai one) are very different in term of shape, proportions and details so what you may think to be wrong on the bandai kit may be actually right because you're not looking at the correct ref.
You'll find the best public ref of the go mo AT-ST here : https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/toromodel/sets/72157621324352969/

Nice build and photos.
I have just finished modding the chassis on mine, making the mid section lower. Its quite an easy fix if you build another one.

I could do with some sort of detailed computer generated images of some walking poses though.

Keith.

Thanks Keith.....I'm thinking on making this one with an optional extra

Looking at Joe Johnston's concept art for the AT-ST's,....I like the similar style to the AT-AT's cockpit window

I was thinking on making these 'winter googles' removable....the same way the hatches on the Bandai clip on/off

Screen%20Shot%202015-04-05%20at%2008.51.46.png

Screen%20Shot%202015-04-05%20at%2008.51.28.png

At-At%20Head.jpg

This is a rough mock-up with styrene-card:
IMG_1772.jpg

IMG_1773.jpg

Thanks for looking
John

Any thoughts on the size of the 'toe spikes'? I compared the Bandai to the old AMT AT-ST and the 'foot plate' is almost the same size but the toe spike on the AMT kit is much larger (by at least another third.) Regards, Robert

Thanks guys,....next mod I'm gonna attempt is to get the tilt on the legs,.....I want to display the AT-ST mid stride

star-wars6-movie-screencaps.com-11666.jpg

J

...some more mods

Although the Chicken has adjustable legs theres still a motion that the stop motion puppet had that the model doesn't do:

star-wars6-movie-screencaps.com-11666.jpg

Theres also a bit of chat over on Starship modeller with Blake1 showing how it all works on the foot:
btnviSp.png

& I found this image on how an upper limb rotates:
Phil%20Tippet%20amp%20AT-ST.jpg

Then the expert MonsieurTox (Julien) helped with images of his studio scale AT-ST:
http://www.therpf.com/f10/go-motion-rotj-st-full-scratch-42320/index8.html

rotjatst169.jpg

rotjatst184.jpg

.....So I got-a-cuttin:

Bendy%20legs.jpg

I used spare poly parts from my Bandai Stormtrooper to make the joints
Still waiting for the filler to harden,...then tidy it up
Bendy%20legs%202.jpg

This is the parts cleaned up & assembled again.....just done one leg at the minute

IMG_1793.jpg

IMG_1794.jpg

IMG_1795.jpg

Thanks for looking
John

Last edited:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back