Assault on Hoth

jedimaster

Sr Member
Ok .... So a few of you know I was lucky enough to acquire one of Mikes HUGE AT-AT's. Well I'm gonna do a really big diorama with this. Not sure whether it's gonna include Lukes Crashed speeder or just a couple of snowspeeders buzzin around it with maybe a tow cable attached. Either way it's gonna be at least 6ft long and 2 1/2 ft wide.

Anyhoo.... This build is gonna take a while so I'm starting small. First up are the speeders. The mpc ones are perfect for this build as they come in at 1/24.
This is probably the best star wars kit MPC brought out but it's not perfect and needs a little work.
d497b6fc.jpg
[/IMG]

First to go are the pilots. These things are crap and have huge arms.

6518de2f.jpg
[/IMG]

Next up I cast some new ones. Mike had the perfect pilots he did for his x-wings so with his permission I cast up a few for my build.

acd4c8ac.jpg
[/IMG]

At this stage they are still too big but a little spin on the sander and voila... Perfect.

d8df6203.jpg
[/IMG]

bc191297.jpg
[/IMG]

Next up is the canopy. This thing needs a little trimming. I was going to scratch a new one but can't be bothered so I'm just going to trim the window frames at the side to match the front. In this pic you can see I've trimmed the front window. It's wider all round now compared to the back and middle.

02ba6282.jpg
[/IMG]

Thanks... Did one little bit before I call it a night.
These wells we're really boring so I added some greeblie detail to spice it up.

71f1d42a.jpg
[/IMG]

6518de2f.jpg

I didn't know they had "Oompa Loompas" flying as pilots on Hoth :confused

I like the detailing and where you're taking this, just how accurate as a foundation to work on, is this snowspeeder kit?

Apparently Oompa Loompas make great pilots...... Just not on my watch. Anyhoo ... I reckon this is prob the best snowspeeder kit still to date with a few mods.

Awesome! This is going to be sweet! I had a similar idea for my 1/48 FM speeder and a MR walker. I'll be following this one for sure. Great start!

Cheers,
Steve.

This kit is ok as a base, main mods are to completly redo the gun barrels, this is a easy fix, sand down all the texured panels on the rear, fix the canopy frames and of course the pilots are simply AWEFULL!

GFollano

They do look a little like dexter, LOL. I ahve an unfinished AMT Snow speeder on the shelf. I will be leerking this thread stealing all your best ideas for my own.

Looks great so far.

Ozzy

Thanks. You can see the difference in the canopy. Looking much better.

cbfccf89.jpg
[/IMG]

Also I started removing the inaccurate panel details.

0f7ee100.jpg
[/IMG]

Great work so far. Can't wait to see the whole thing.

This was my favorite kit as a kid. I used it as a toy after building it. I loved that it had moveable/poseable flaps. I recently fixed mine up, but I forgot how bad the pilots were since I had haven't seen them in decades.

My guess is that the pilots were paratroopers or something from another kit. They have what appears to be a parachute on their stomachs. Either way they are godawful.

BTW, do you have a thread on that AT-AT? It looks huge!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back