Assault on Hoth

0f3e9a6c.jpg
[/IMG]

My only concern is the difference in scale of the figures to my pilots. The pilots and walker being 1/24 and the figures at 1/18th. Maybe I could cast up the figures and use a silicon with maybe a 5% shrink rate or something. But then I'd prob get branded a dirty recaster. I don't know ..... What do you guy's think.

Last edited:
As long as they're for your own personal use, then I say cast it. It's when you start selling someone elses creative work, is when you cross the line.

There's a long history of model builders casting extra parts,..... One part or the whole tree, makes no difference, it's when you sell it that's the problem.

Just my honest opinion.

the only issue is if you're recasting someone elses work then selling it as your own or as 'original'....just go for it :) I'm dead keen to see how this goes. I'd love to see a scratch built cockpit in the camel :D

Hey Simon, just an FYI for thinking about the interior, the head is slush cast and foam filled to keep the weight down and still be strong. It is totally possible since the "chin" is a separate part, so you could dig from the bottom up without damaging any detail, just replace the "floor" of the head.

The bigger issue is that even at 1/24 scale the eye of the walker is only about 3/8-1/2 inch wide, so all that work would likely go largely unseen.

Looking forward to this whole thing, i'm sure you will knock it out of the park..
mike

Thanks Mike. Yeah I was thinking of putting something in there and maybe lighting it in red if possible and sealing it up for good. Maybee put a little Miss May 1980 centerfold on the back wall a-la ILM. Like on the blockade runner. Just for a little more detail. I don't know but I'll Suss it out when it arrives.

Simon.

I wish I had the skill and patience to do something like this. Great work!

Thanks.... Ya know I hear this a lot from people here. "I wish I had the skills to do this" or "I'd be to scared to screw it up" . Look at the end of the day you only have to please yourself. And not try to live up to other peoples builds. There are guys on here that are masters at their work. Jason, Lee and Guy to name a few , but if you guys put your minds to it and take it slow and above all DON'T doubt yourself or your ability's you could quite easily build anything you put your minds to. Give it a try you might surprise yourself. And ask for advice , that's why were all here. There's always guys posting here with "this is my first model.... What do you guys think?" and they are fantastic.

Not having a go.... Just sayin. Surprise yourself.

Simon.

Thats a HUGE compliment Simon, and i thankyou, but even i look at the work of others and think "i suck" LOL.

Simon is right though, apply your mind, and you will surprise yourself, over time, you'll hone skills, and push yourself to always do better, you NEVER stop learning in this hobby, there is always something new to try..most of all....have fun!

lee

hey Simon if you need a helping hand..or someone to poke you with a stick to hurry up with this just give me a shout:p... I didnt bring my airbrush all the way over here for nothing! haha

Thanks.... Ya know I hear this a lot from people here. "I wish I had the skills to do this" or "I'd be to scared to screw it up" . Look at the end of the day you only have to please yourself. And not try to live up to other peoples builds. There are guys on here that are masters at their work. Jason, Lee and Guy to name a few , but if you guys put your minds to it and take it slow and above all DON'T doubt yourself or your ability's you could quite easily build anything you put your minds to. Give it a try you might surprise yourself. And ask for advice , that's why were all here. There's always guys posting here with "this is my first model.... What do you guys think?" and they are fantastic.

Not having a go.... Just sayin. Surprise yourself.

Simon.

Mate, you are bang on about people doubting themselves. We all learn from experience and mistakes and it adds to one's skills. As long as the builder is happy with results well, that is all that really matters.

You are doing a beaut job BTW. Looking forward to seeing how it goes.

Dave.

J I just may take ya up on that.

Dave .... Thanks mate I bet even peeps like Jason just jumped in at the deep end with their first model and look at the masterpieces he's nockin out now.

Anyhoo I'll have some more pix up soon. This thing is gettin bigger by the day. I now have 4 speeders to attack this hulk.

Ok so had a few peeps asking about this build. Mikes been really busy of late finishing up some of Steves orders but the rest of the Walker is on it's way. The bulk of it should arrive early next week. As for the speeders they are just about ready for paint. I'll post pix later. I've also been looking at some electronics for this diorama. I'm looking at rigging a cf3 soundboard with 20 sound files from the Hoth battle. Each will be separate sounds ie speeder flyby , speeder firing, walker movement , walker firing etc. Also a cool member here is working on some graphics for the control panel where the buttons for the sound files will sit. More updates soon.

Simon.

You know, I've been wanting to do a large scale ATAT for a long time....

Ok so Mike has given me permission to re-post these here. (thanks Mike). The figure on the table is a 1/18 in the 1st pic. That should fine you an idea of the size of this thing. In the second pic you see a speeder. That's what I am building here.

003e0cd3.jpg
[/IMG]
304152dd.jpg
[/IMG]

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back