Assault on Hoth

Discussion in 'General Modeling' started by jedimaster, Nov 13, 2011.

1. jedimaster

jedimaster Sr Member

Ok .... So a few of you know I was lucky enough to acquire one of Mikes HUGE AT-AT's. Well I'm gonna do a really big diorama with this. Not sure whether it's gonna include Lukes Crashed speeder or just a couple of snowspeeders buzzin around it with maybe a tow cable attached. Either way it's gonna be at least 6ft long and 2 1/2 ft wide.

Anyhoo.... This build is gonna take a while so I'm starting small. First up are the speeders. The mpc ones are perfect for this build as they come in at 1/24.
    This is probably the best star wars kit MPC brought out but it's not perfect and needs a little work.
    [​IMG][/IMG]

First to go are the pilots. These things are crap and have huge arms.

[​IMG][/IMG]

Jannix Quinn likes this.
  2. jedimaster

jedimaster Sr Member

Next up I cast some new ones. Mike had the perfect pilots he did for his x-wings so with his permission I cast up a few for my build.

[​IMG][/IMG]

At this stage they are still too big but a little spin on the sander and voila... Perfect.

[​IMG][/IMG]

3. jedimaster

jedimaster Sr Member

A quick test fit... And they look great....

[​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]

4. jedimaster

jedimaster Sr Member

[​IMG][/IMG]

Next up is the canopy. This thing needs a little trimming. I was going to scratch a new one but can't be bothered so I'm just going to trim the window frames at the side to match the front. In this pic you can see I've trimmed the front window. It's wider all round now compared to the back and middle.

[​IMG][/IMG]

Atlanthia likes this.
  5. jedimaster

jedimaster Sr Member

And one final pic for tonight just to remind you of the scale of the AT-AT.

[​IMG][/IMG]

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  6. MooCriket

MooCriket Master Member

Your off to a great start. I'm really looking forward to seeing more:)

7. Bootlegger137

Bootlegger137 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Subscribed!

F-N-S likes this.
  8. jedimaster

jedimaster Sr Member

Thanks... Did one little bit before I call it a night.
    These wells we're really boring so I added some greeblie detail to spice it up.

[​IMG][/IMG]

9. Scratchy

Scratchy Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I didn't know they had "Oompa Loompas" flying as pilots on Hoth :confused

I like the detailing and where you're taking this, just how accurate as a foundation to work on, is this snowspeeder kit?

10. jedimaster

jedimaster Sr Member

Apparently Oompa Loompas make great pilots...... Just not on my watch. Anyhoo ... I reckon this is prob the best snowspeeder kit still to date with a few mods.

11. STEVE THE SWEDE

STEVE THE SWEDE Sr Member

Awesome! This is going to be sweet! I had a similar idea for my 1/48 FM speeder and a MR walker. I'll be following this one for sure. Great start!

Cheers,
    Steve.

12. GF

GF Sr Member

This kit is ok as a base, main mods are to completly redo the gun barrels, this is a easy fix, sand down all the texured panels on the rear, fix the canopy frames and of course the pilots are simply AWEFULL!

GFollano

13. jedimaster

jedimaster Sr Member

Is it just me or do these pilots look like Dexter?

14. ozzyguanche

ozzyguanche Sr Member

They do look a little like dexter, LOL. I ahve an unfinished AMT Snow speeder on the shelf. I will be leerking this thread stealing all your best ideas for my own.

Looks great so far.

Ozzy

15. clancampbell

clancampbell Sr Member

The upgrades and detailing you've done are just leaps and bounds beyond the original parts....i'm super impressed...!!!!

Rich

16. jedimaster

jedimaster Sr Member

Thanks. You can see the difference in the canopy. Looking much better.

[​IMG][/IMG]

Also I started removing the inaccurate panel details.

[​IMG][/IMG]

17. jedimaster

jedimaster Sr Member

I'm going to keep this one original for now just for comparison. I'll mod this later.

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

18. jedimaster

jedimaster Sr Member

Slow as u go...I'll sort out the new panel lines when i scribe the whole speeder.

[​IMG][/IMG]

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  19. blakeh1

blakeh1 Sr Member

Great work so far. Can't wait to see the whole thing.

This was my favorite kit as a kid. I used it as a toy after building it. I loved that it had moveable/poseable flaps. I recently fixed mine up, but I forgot how bad the pilots were since I had haven't seen them in decades.

20. Sluis Van Shipyards

Sluis Van Shipyards Master Member

My guess is that the pilots were paratroopers or something from another kit. They have what appears to be a parachute on their stomachs. Either way they are godawful.

BTW, do you have a thread on that AT-AT? It looks huge!

21. vetteboy1982

vetteboy1982 Member

Hi Jedi...This is a great Build...now I see why you were making the new pilots that you showed me earlier on my thread. Those originals were horrid ! The new ones are fantastic ! I would like to see how big this AT-At really is....I always wanted to make a large one ! My friend keeps bugging me to draw up some plans and help him build his kid a fort in his backyard that is an AT-AT.....It would be COOL !

22. jedimaster

jedimaster Sr Member

23. jedimaster

jedimaster Sr Member

Just noticed my post count...1138...... Cool.... Doh..... 1139

24. vetteboy1982

vetteboy1982 Member

I have now...I'm new, cut me some slack. this place is filled with so much cool stuff, I waste hours and hours in awe of your awesomeness.You guys are all so much more talented than the people that originally made these various props, IMO. Sure would be nice to do these things for a living !

25. jedimaster

jedimaster Sr Member

Gonna try and match the panel lines to my studio scale model which needs a repaint.

[​IMG][/IMG]

26. jedimaster

jedimaster Sr Member

Dude I've seen your ship.... Way more awesomeness.

ralphee likes this.
  27. GF

GF Sr Member

Here's mine I did over 13 years ago, this is a original MPC from the 80's I still have the original box. Photos are crappy will take some better ones.

GFollano

28. ozzyguanche

ozzyguanche Sr Member

I had never seen that either, mannnnn thier big.

Hay! JD, you going to detail the inside. I love what you did with the pits and those figures are great. I think you could blitz the inside detail.

I had a crack a year or so ago at the inside detail, and tried to carve a figure to look like, "Zev". I had a lack of reference then, so another kit ended up sitting on my shelf. I love the snow speeder though, and the AMT is a good size too.

Shameless shot of mine

[​IMG]

I never got to the panel lines. You got a easy process for panel lines for beginners like me? would love to be able to confident in panel lines.

Ozzy

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  29. jedimaster

jedimaster Sr Member

That looks great GF. Nice work mate. I hope mine come out half as good.

30. ralphee

ralphee Sr Member

Get yourself a Tamiya...or Olfa scriber if you dont want to conform to the Japanese brand of the lovely stars.
    VERY good for scribing, no clean up of flash as it removes a layer of styrene as it passes, rather than creating a cavity.
    Very light pressure on the first pass, then its up to you.

Great thread Simon, bit of a special one this, oh, and, yeah, you need another ATAT lol.

lee

31. jedimaster

jedimaster Sr Member

Ok so Mike has given me permission to re-post these here. (thanks Mike). The figure on the table is a 1/18 in the 1st pic. That should fine you an idea of the size of this thing. In the second pic you see a speeder. That's what I am building here.

[​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]

32. jedimaster

jedimaster Sr Member

Thanks lee. I got myself an Olfa and some spare blades. Me old ones are a bit heavy now. I'll give the tamiya one a go also to see which suits better. Ya know as much as I love doing this I sometimes think we're all completely F..king mad. I mean you wid dem Legs and Guy's now onto the slave. And this 5ft falcon is driving me nuts. Shute... I guess collecting stamps or spoons would drive ya nuts too.

33. ozzyguanche

ozzyguanche Sr Member

Holy crap,were are you going to put that???

You got 2 of those??? you live by yourself right? LOL.My wife would kill me.

As a diorama this will be a work of art.

Looking forward to your updates jedimaster.

Ozzy

34. jedimaster

jedimaster Sr Member

Ozzy... Scribe lines are not that hard. One method is to use the tape that used to come with those labelmakers. The ones that used to punch the letters in. You just stick them down and As lee said give a gentle first pass then apply a little more pressure. The important thing is to take your time. The good thing about the labelmaker tape is you can stick it around curved surfaces.

35. jedimaster

jedimaster Sr Member

Na man just got the one. My wife would kill me also. I got ten studio scale kits already with another four on the way including a really special one. Then there's this , a turbo laser I'm working on and a five ft falcon which is going to take up half the garage. Oh and a 3 ft rc stardestroyer and blockade runner. Pretty soon my home theater is gonna look like that shot of Lucas surrounded by his models. If I ever finish em.

36. jedimaster

jedimaster Sr Member

* oh and guy's these are no longer available , so please don't go buggin Mike for one*

37. 3phase

3phase Well-Known Member

Can’t wait to see this finished. Man if you ever get all those kits done it would be a good time for a holiday over there. Also please keep going on the x-wing as I hope to have one by Christmas

38. ozzyguanche

ozzyguanche Sr Member

Party at Jedimasters house 2015 ????

Ozzy

39. Sluis Van Shipyards

Sluis Van Shipyards Master Member

40. jedimaster

jedimaster Sr Member

Ok so toying with the idea of scratching an interior for the walker head. Just thinking out loud , so no plans as yet.

[​IMG][/IMG]

I thought these looked pretty cool that someone did on another forum.

[​IMG][/IMG]

41. jedimaster

jedimaster Sr Member

[​IMG][/IMG]

My only concern is the difference in scale of the figures to my pilots. The pilots and walker being 1/24 and the figures at 1/18th. Maybe I could cast up the figures and use a silicon with maybe a 5% shrink rate or something. But then I'd prob get branded a dirty recaster. I don't know ..... What do you guy's think.

42. Scratchy

Scratchy Well-Known Member

As long as they're for your own personal use, then I say cast it. It's when you start selling someone elses creative work, is when you cross the line.

There's a long history of model builders casting extra parts,..... One part or the whole tree, makes no difference, it's when you sell it that's the problem.

Just my honest opinion.

43. jedimaster

jedimaster Sr Member

Yeah .... I'm with you. I always cast up kit parts but ya know that Hasbro crowd....

44. ozzyguanche

ozzyguanche Sr Member

I dont see a problem.

Ozzy

45. jedimaster

jedimaster Sr Member

Good. But as I said just thinkin out loud at the mo.

46. n0regret5

n0regret5 Well-Known Member

the only issue is if you're recasting someone elses work then selling it as your own or as 'original'....just go for it :) I'm dead keen to see how this goes. I'd love to see a scratch built cockpit in the camel :D

47. mslz22

mslz22 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hey Simon, just an FYI for thinking about the interior, the head is slush cast and foam filled to keep the weight down and still be strong. It is totally possible since the "chin" is a separate part, so you could dig from the bottom up without damaging any detail, just replace the "floor" of the head.

The bigger issue is that even at 1/24 scale the eye of the walker is only about 3/8-1/2 inch wide, so all that work would likely go largely unseen.

Looking forward to this whole thing, i'm sure you will knock it out of the park..
    mike

48. jedimaster

jedimaster Sr Member

Thanks Mike. Yeah I was thinking of putting something in there and maybe lighting it in red if possible and sealing it up for good. Maybee put a little Miss May 1980 centerfold on the back wall a-la ILM. Like on the blockade runner. Just for a little more detail. I don't know but I'll Suss it out when it arrives.

Simon.

49. christrom

christrom Well-Known Member

Hey which forum are those interior shots from? They look great.

50. hemrie

hemrie New Member

I wish I had the skill and patience to do something like this. Great work!