Art Asylum Phaser rebuilding thread

USSCassiopeia

Hey.

I thought I'd start this thread for two reasons... one, maybe some of the things I'm doing to my AA's will give you ideas on doing your own, and two, it'll be a real-time thread. This means that I won't just be posting a bunch of pics and saying, "Looky what I did." I hope some of you will mod your own while this is going on. That way, you can post pics and ideas, and all of our phasers will benefit :)

I start with this - a stock AA with I AM KIROK Midgrade fins:
Fins2.jpg

From the other thread, here's what you'll need...

With the exception of the metal nozzle and side knob, everything else is readily available.

Hobbytown USA or equivalent: Styrene sheet, rod, and half-round rod, Novus #2 plastic polish, Tamiya Silver Leaf spray paint, Tamiya Masking Tape, differing sizes of brass tubing

Lowes or Home Depot: Brass 'lamp nuts' and screws

Electronics supply store: Small washers, hi-brite LEDs, microswitch

Wal-Mart: Loctite thin super glue, Omega brand dark gray primer, Rustoleum Dark Bronze Metallic, Duplicolor SUV clearcoat, Brasso, turtle wax, plain old XActo knife, wet/dry sandpaper (get the assortment pack)

Sundry items:

You'll need to ask around to find a metal nozzle and side knob.

I AM KIROK has some killer midgrade-style fins, and that's what I'll be using

Stingray knows where to find the coolest pager vib motors....

A Dremel, with a fiber cutoff wheel and sanding drum is a must.

For the Extending Emitter, you'll need access to a drill press.

BTW "TOSpropsarebest" on ASAP recommends getting one of these for working on small internal springs: a "capturing spring hook".

22129l.gif

Great thread idea. Be sure to outline what modifications you indend to do. For some folks, making a basic metal parts upgrade, and repaint might be all they would want to do, and for other, making all the other mods that CAN be done might be in order.

You're quite right, Jimbo. Thanks.

Okay, here goes, in no particular order:

1. Repainting
2. Replacing the side ribs on the P2
3. Enlarging/accurizing the P2 sight window
4. Making a metal forehead piece
5. Replacing the extra crispy
6. Accurizing the bottom of the handle
7. Hi-brite LED for the P2
8. Vibrator in the P2 handle
9. Replacing the trigger with a metal one
10. Making an extending P2 emitter
11. Making the nozzle ring 'ratchet'
12. Filling the screw holes
13. Installing the screw on the bottom front
14. installing the nozzle
15. Installing the side knob
16. Sanding down the texture on the P1
17. Eliminating the try-me slot on the P1

Originally posted by USSCassiopeia@Jan 10 2006, 02:52 PM

[snapback]1155477[/snapback]​

Okay, I get everything but item #5. :confused Help out a Star Wars fan who only ever watched TNG and is just watching this thread to make some decent gifts for his Trekkie buddies.

What in the Federation is a "crispy" in regards to a phaser? Why is there an extra one? And with what will be replaced?

I'm sure this an obvious thing for you phaser aficionados, but I'm lost. I imagine this will get explained when you get to that part of the build up, but I just have to ask.

Originally posted by RedTwoX+Jan 10 2006, 01:19 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RedTwoX @ Jan 10 2006, 01:19 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-USSCassiopeia
@Jan 10 2006, 02:52 PM

[snapback]1155477[/snapback]​

Okay, I get everything but item #5. :confused Help out a Star Wars fan who only ever watched TNG and is just watching this thread to make some decent gifts for his Trekkie buddies.

What in the Federation is a "crispy" in regards to a phaser? Why is there an extra one? And with what will be replaced?

I'm sure this an obvious thing for you phaser aficionados, but I'm lost. I imagine this will get explained when you get to that part of the build up, but I just have to ask.
[snapback]1155496[/snapback]​
[/b]

He's referring to the foil goes on the rising site or the "aspirator" of the small handheld P1 Phaser. "Crispy" just means that the grid pattern is SHARP and the texture stands out. Correct angle of the diamond patter, Clean and Sharp = Extra Crispy. :lol

Originally posted by SurferGeek@Jan 10 2006, 03:22 PM
He's referring to the foil goes on the rising site or the "aspirator" of the small handheld P1 Phaser.  "Crispy" just means that the grid pattern is SHARP and the texture stands out.  Correct angle of the diamond patter, Clean and Sharp = Extra Crispy.  :lol
[snapback]1155499[/snapback]​

:thumbsup Excellent explanation. I feel smarter already.

What about removing the bad-joke-of-a "pop-up" sight on the AA, and installing a "real" rolling-plexi rising sight? :p

DSC00069.jpg

- k

I'd like to do that but right now I can't think of any way to.

Kirok has some ideas about casting replacements out of solid clear resin... even having some kind of curvature in back. If he makes them, they'll probably be drop-in replacement parts, like his fins...

You could make the P1 deeper by sanding off the side rails, and adding aluminum rails between the plastic halves. Would that help?

i was thinking about adding a real aluminum mid-plate to 'thicken-up' the P1. After close examination, all the electronics are in the P1, so not much room for a fully functional P1 rising sight, unless the electronics were gutted. IMHO but I could be way off.

Yeah pretty cramped in there... I guess you'd have to gut it and have alternate electronics or something. :unsure

P1_open_001-sm.jpg

(I forget whose pic that is, if you want it taken down, just contact me)

Pity tho, a real rising sight would be super cool. But then so is the way they did the electronics in the AA, with the batteries and sound system self-contained in the p1.

The p1 release mech on the p2 body is wacked too, it operates just the opposite of how it should (you should push to release, not pull)...

- k

Originally posted by franz bolo@Jan 10 2006, 12:22 PM
Do you have a separate photo of the "I AM KIROK Midgrade fins"??

FB
[snapback]1155322[/snapback]​
Here you go:
One has been painted by USSCassiopeia
fins.JPG

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back