Art Asylum/Diamond Star Trek TOS Communicator, TOS Tricorder, WOK phaser at Toy Fair

Re: Art Asylum/Diamond Star Trek TOS Communicator, TOS Tricorder, WOK phaser at Toy F

Sorry, You and me was typing at the same time.

If you look out on the web you'll see two versions of this Comm being advertised. An exclusive version with the plated antenna grill and one for $5 less with what looks like a painted antenna grill.

Re: Art Asylum/Diamond Star Trek TOS Communicator, TOS Tricorder, WOK phaser at Toy F

If you look out on the web you'll see two versions of this Comm being advertised. An exclusive version with the plated antenna grill and one for $5 less with what looks like a painted antenna grill.

got a link for us????

I wish I could remember what Previews had listed a few months back and to be honest I didn’t think to ask while I was there. I know the one description make no mention of plating the other mentions the paint difference and the plating on the grill plus the extra sound.

"metallic gold lid", "vac metal shield"... both of those could refer to plated plastic.

As to the "glossy" black paint, I don't know what to make of that. Does the basic comm have bare plastic? The Master Replicas had a flat dark gray-black body and a brass grid that was clear coated, while the Vegas version was bare glossy plastic on the body with a gold-painted brass grid.

Toyfair photos show a comm that appears to be bare plastic with a gold- or bronze-painted flipgrid.

- k

"metallic gold lid", "vac metal shield"... both of those could refer to plated plastic.

As to the "glossy" black paint, I don't know what to make of that. Does the basic comm have bare plastic? The Master Replicas had a flat dark gray-black body and a brass grid that was clear coated, while the Vegas version was bare glossy plastic on the body with a gold-painted brass grid.

Toyfair photos show a comm that appears to be bare plastic with a gold- or bronze-painted flipgrid.

- k

The one I held appeared to be painted black with a plated grill, other metal parts where painted silver.

OK I see now.

Did the "metal" parts on the communciator look like the "metal" parts on the Phaser? In other words, just painted plastic?

I refer to the midplate, the moire ring and the controls plate.

You also said the moire was "moving", you mean it is motorized like the MR? A rotating paper disc under a clear plastic pattern?

- k

Also did the "medical scanner" that went wth the Tricorder, look like this?

This is the screenused prop, which has a brass button on the side, and the interior tube spins.

pihtosmedscannerol9.jpg

What about the Tricorder itself? Did it resemble the MR? Was it static or did it have working light-up and sound features at this time? (MR has light-up screen, scan sound, spinning moire disc, three blue status LEDs)

dsc01554qd2.jpg

OK I see now.

Did the "metal" parts on the communciator look like the "metal" parts on the Phaser? In other words, just painted plastic?

I refer to the midplate, the moire ring and the controls plate.

You also said the moire was "moving", you mean it is motorized like the MR? A rotating paper disc under a clear plastic pattern?

- k

Just like the Phaser, painted plastic.

Not motorized but it looked like a two part graphic so the it had depth and if you moved the Comm back and forth it gave you some movement because of the layering.

Also did the "medical scanner" that went wth the Tricorder, look like this?

What about the Tricorder itself? Did it resemble the MR? Was it static or did it have working light-up and sound features at this time? (MR has light-up screen, scan sound, spinning moire disc, three blue status LEDs)

I didn't get to touch the scanner or the Tricorder but the scanner was a classic medical version and appeared to be the correct size but I do not remember seeing the brass button or any button for the matter.

The Tricorder reminded me more of a Roddenberry (HMS) than an MR. Not sure if either had electronics.

Disappointing on the antenna grid, and the moire. dammit.

I guess someone's gonna have to step up to the plate and offer aftermarket replacement brass antenna grids, then.

The AA TOS phasers are available NOW, I just saw them the other day at Forbidden Planet it New York.

Probably also available from New Force Comics online, that's where I go for my online Trek toy fix. :cool

There have been like seven different repaints of the AA phaser, but you may have to pay collector prices for some of them (ala the White Handled version). Me, I would just buy whatever is cheapest. If you need accuracy, just paint it later.

- k

I know they're available, but I'm a cheap bast- uh, I'm thrifty! :lol I got a 6 pack of the "opener" white handled version from New Force a year or two ago (for $15 or $20 a piece), then gave one for a birthday present, and sold another couple to some friends who needed them. Just trying to restock my horde.... at bargain prices! :rolleyes I'm just looking for a better deal than what I'm currently seeing cuz I'm a chea-... uh, I'm thrifty!

Obi-Bob

This may have already been answered, but, does anyone have a date as to when the tricorder will be released?

Forgive me if has answered before, I'm a bit slow!!:lol

Not motorized but it looked like a two part graphic so the it had depth and if you moved the Comm back and forth it gave you some movement because of the layering.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. H. :cry

Well lenticular will have to do. Or diffraction, holographic, whatever you call it.

So the Tric looks HMS eh? Not surprising, since those guys evidently build the prototypes for AA/DST these days.

The HMS tiricorders were seen in the DS9 episode "Trials and Tribbleations". They are notable for having slightly different proportions from the screenused, a viewscreen that is a perfect straght-sided round cornered rectangle (and not slightly convex shaped like the real prop), with a slightly oversized moire ring.

ds9tttricopenbj3.jpg

ds9tricdaxfondle1uw7.jpg

ttdaxtricjo0.jpg

Given what we now know about the comm (thanks again), I guess the tric will be all plastic as well.

It will be interesting to see whether somebody steps up to the plate and offers metal parts kits for these AA props.

ALSO some of you guys have to get off of your dunsels, and mod these trics into Geological tricorders. :cool

geotric1twsenhkd2.jpg

Gojira61, one more annoying little question for ya... :D

On the communicator toy did you notice if the "callback button" on the back, was in the shape of a delta shield Starfleet emblem (as in the Vegas Experience communicator)? Or was it an oval like the MR, or something else?

ktvegascombackoffry9.jpg

When it was handed to me the call back feature was already activated. I don’t remember seeing a button on the back (passed through my hands quickly). Both buttons on the control plate do something, one was the show lines but I’m not sure what the other one did.

I wish I had time to play with it a bit. They were getting ready for a reception and there were tons of people around so they were quick to put it back in the case.

For the $30 I liked it a lot, really can’t go wrong on the price. On a side note my friend who owns a comic shop thought the moire was supposed to work (motorized) in the replica, maybe the show piece I looked at had seen better days.

I’m going to give my contact at Diamond a call next week when Toy Fair has blown over and see if I can get a definitive answer on the features of the replica.

For the chirp, do you get to flip it open? Does it automatically play the chirp? Are the voices only activated by the button or do they also come when it's flipped open?

I’m going to give my contact at Diamond a call next week when Toy Fair has blown over and see if I can get a definitive answer on the features of the replica.

Please do! I've already ordered one, further feedback on the piece may convince me to get more! :lol

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back