Art Asylum/Diamond Star Trek TOS Communicator, TOS Tricorder, WOK phaser at Toy Fair

Re: Art Asylum/Diamond Star Trek TOS Communicator, TOS Tricorder, WOK phaser at Toy F

It looks like "summer" for the TOS Tricorder from AA/Diamond! :eek

http://www.diamondselecttoys.com/

imageuploadimageur2.jpg

Classic Star Trek Tricorder Detected!
Star Trek fans will be scanning for life forms and analyzing phaser residue this summer thanks to the next piece in our Trek Tek line – the classic-era Tricorder! Featuring light-up and motion effects recreating this iconic science fiction design, each Tricorder will also include sound effects from the classic series and a few surprises!

Revolutionary for its time, the Tricorder is an essential part of any Starfleet Away Team – especially when analyzing and interpreting data from a variety of scientific tests performed by this amazing device. With almost limitless uses, it’s no wonder that every single Star Trek series and film has included some variation of these incredibly useful instruments – making this a must-have for Trekkies everywhere.

Re: Art Asylum/Diamond Star Trek TOS Communicator, TOS Tricorder, WOK phaser at Toy F

So I take it the light-up feature on the Tric will be the screen? I'm really hoping one of the "surpises" will be the ability to store a Comm or two in the bottom drawer like the original design.

Preordering the Comm right now, I can't wait for these to be released!

So I take it the light-up feature on the Tric will be the screen? I'm really hoping one of the "surpises" will be the ability to store a Comm or two in the bottom drawer like the original design.

Preordering the Comm right now, I can't wait for these to be released!

It was my understanding that the surprise was a medical scanner like McCoy used!...................He's dead Jim!:sick :lol

Well, it did mention "a few surprises", so I can hope! Either that or removable discs, but I've always been intrigued by the idea of built in Comm storage. It just seems so... logical.
spocknv9.gif

I'm worried about the size. Isn't the tricorder gonna be the same price as the phaser and comm? I can't see us getting something the right size for $30...

Were they to charge any more it simply wouldn't move in a retail environment, which is where their products are aimed.

Of course, they simply could have wanted to make a complete Away Team set available for under $100, which seems pretty damned noble to me.

Still, if it's undersized, why bother? Look at the Playmates "props". The Tricorder they release is tiny because they kept it at the phaser price point. AA has done so well so far, I just hope that they don't screw up with this one.

The difference in size between the tricorder and communicator
just requires a bit more plastic. That should only add a few
dollars to the price. And it would fit box sizes they've used
before.

Rob

Also, these things aren't sold in Wal-Mart or TRU. It's a collectors market item. They can charge whatever they want, within reason. I, for one, would be happy to pay $10 even $20 more for something full sized. I'm sure that I'm not alone.

Still, here's hoping AA can give us a full sized tricorder for $30.

I don't think there'd be room to store "a comm or two" in the lower compartment of the tricorder... there is a design sketch for the prop that shows this but the final prop is too small I think. A communicator will not fit in the Master Replicas Tricorder, either.

I've seen two versions of this sketch, attributed to Wah Chang... one shows two communicators in the lower compartment, the other shows what looks like a communicator but it's labeled "wireless microphone and speaker"

wahchangtricsketchesoi8.jpg

McCoy often seemed to be pulling his "spinny scanner" out of the lower compartment of his Tricorder. This frame grab from "Naked Time" seems to show the scanner inserted into the lower compartment.

ntbedsidetricmi5.jpg

McCoy using Tricorder and Scanner.

sogmccoytricdf3.jpg

hdmiritricbottomgk6.jpg

The Master Replicas version of the Tricorder featured a spinning moire disk, three blue LEDs, and sound effects.

ktmrtricfrontclosedlp6.jpg

ktmrtricdoorsopenvo0.jpg

The MR also featured a backlit "screen" transparency, with red LEDs indicating positions, similar to the set-up in the MR Aliens Motion Tracker replica.

ktmrtriccontrolsyn4.jpg

The release of the Art Asylum/Diamond TOS Tricorder will enable fans to assemble a complete "Exploration Set" of fullsize prop replicas for well under $100. This assemblage of Master Replicas props would cost well over ten times that amount.

dsc01539kl2.jpg

- k

Last edited:

The difference in size between the tricorder and communicator
just requires a bit more plastic. That should only add a few
dollars to the price. And it would fit box sizes they've used
before.

Rob

That's my point though. To make it large enough, they'd have to charge more. In theory at least...

That extra bit of plastic really is a difference of just a few dollars, as mentioned before. They have to be trying to have the Comm/Phaser/Tric set available for under $100, because it's the only reason I can think of for charging as little as they are for any of the pieces, let alone just the Tric.

There's pretty much no point for them to release an undersized Tricorder, and I think AA/DS holds themselves to higher standards than that.

I still think a single Comm could fit in the bottom drawer, sideways anyway.

They could still charge $40 for the tricorder and still keep the whole set at the $100 mark. I'll wait and see for now but like I said, I'd pay more for better quality...

A little extra plastic in a mass produced item is far less than a few dollars per tricorder. It's more like a few cents. They're still making a profit on all their items.

AA's phasers are awesome. I can't say I'm digging the pic of the communictor. I'm hoping that it's a prototype. The grill doesn't look like metal and the grain texture is way too big... still, I'm sure I'll get one.

A communicator will not fit in the Master Replicas Tricorder, either.
- k

Their fat butt comm won't fit, no :lol

The size difference between the comm and tric is literally
about $2 worth of plastic. Of course, they could still milk it.
I think $40 for a tric is reasonable, if they do a decent job
with it.

Rob

A Diamond Select press release says that "all three" TOS prop toys will retail for $30 each. So that means a $30 Tricorder, guys! :D

I note that a communicator will not fit in the Master Replicas Tricorder... largely because there is a metal divider in the lower compartment, which renders it impossible.

Also the MR's battery compartment takes up part of the room that would be necessary.

- k

30 bucks huh? Sounds good.

Rob

I've seen two versions of this sketch, attributed to Wah Chang... one shows two communicators in the lower compartment, the other shows what looks like a communicator but it's labeled "wireless microphone and speaker"

wahchangtricsketchesoi8.jpg
Thanks for the outstanding photos throughout this thread, phase. :thumbsup

Interestingly, in the Wah Chang sketch on the left above, the "wireless microphone and speaker" is stored beside a device labeled "communicator and camera." :)

If AA can put out a full sized tricorder with bell & whistles for $30, it'll be the greatest achievement in toy history:) I really hope it's true....

If AA can put out a full sized tricorder with bell & whistles for $30, it'll be the greatest achievement in toy history:) I really hope it's true....

Shouldn't be an issue? they did the Enterprise with spfx under 30.......
the new communicator......under $20 phaser under $20 at new force comics! the will do it! :thumbsup

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back