Art Asylum/Diamond Star Trek TOS Communicator, TOS Tricorder, WOK phaser at Toy Fair

Re: Art Asylum/Diamond TOS Communicator toy revealed at Toy Fair 2008

Phasepistol wrote:
" In any case, the AA communicator may be better for gutting to use the circuit board in a more traditional "prop like" comm replica... such as the HMS, CaptJTK, or the jlong "40th anniversary" Alpha-derived kit that ought to be out soon."

What is a jlong "40th anniversary" Alpha-derived kit?

It's my name for that communicator kit you're supposed to be coming out with.

- k

All right then, "40th anniversary Zeta-derived kit", since it was cast off of Zeta's shells and not Alpha's (Zeta and Alpha being Herocomm.com's designations for two particular screenused communicator props, for those of you scoring at home).

- k

"All right then, "40th anniversary Zeta-derived kit"

Don't know if all of that will fit on the box LOL

Last edited:

I Keep looking for AA Communicator in here somewhere. :lol

We can't prove Alpha WAS used, we can't prove it WASN'T used either. And since I've never held a Zeta in my hand or talked to Wah about it personally, I'll just have to take your word for it.

There is only one "expert" I know of regarding the TOS Communicator and he has sadly passed on, all the rest are merely voicing their "opinions".

I just spoke to Rick at http://www.newforcecomics.com, he said that he spoke to his Diamond Rep just this morning, not looking good for the release date at the end of the month, the Comms has shipped from China but has not made it to the US Shorelines, once that happens, 2 to 3 weeks before the retailers have them.

It's gonna be a great piece for the price.

Re: Art Asylum/Diamond Star Trek TOS Communicator, TOS Tricorder, WOK phaser at Toy F

I updated the first post (and thread title) to reflect this new tidbit from Figures.com

DST has big plans from replica fans this year, with the release of 4 prop replicas from Star Trek: The Original Series. Along with a Communicator and a Tricorder, DST will release two phasers, one from The Orignal Series and The Wrath of Khan. All items will retail at $30. While photography for the Tricorder and TWOK Phaser was not allowed, DST described the items in detail, highlighting their sound and the callback feature on the communicator. All are planned for 2008 release.

FIgures.com doesn't seem to realize that the Phaser has been out for years already. :lol

If the mods want to shift this thread over to the Props section, that would be fine by me.

- K

Re: Art Asylum/Diamond Star Trek TOS Communicator, TOS Tricorder, WOK phaser at Toy F

Somebody needs to tell "The Experience" here in Vegas that they sell for $30.00. The price tag on those are usually $47.00. :lol

Somebody needs to tell "The Experience" here in Vegas that they sell for $30.00. The price tag on those are usually $47.00. :lol

Well those are actually a different version, made for sale thru the Vegas attraction...

2e1b1jpgin6.jpg

ktvegascommbizcardstandxf7.jpg

The Vegas and Art Asylum comms are both externally very similar to the Master Replicas version (probably made from the same molds)... Here's a composite pic of the Vegas on the left and the MR on the right, you can see that they are nearly identical

ktvegasvsmrcompositenr4.jpg

The Vegas version is more cheaply made of course (retail is $50 as opposed to $300!)... but both feature spinning moire patterns, light up LEDs, and sound effects.

The Vegas though has much lower sound quality (I would classify it as "crappy"), gold paint on the brass flipgrid, chrome plating on the aluminum parts, and a shinier black plastic case with the texture pattern running the wrong way.

Also, out of the box, the flipgrid "stops" at a ridiculously shallow angle of about 90 degrees (but the "stops" can be removed or broken, which will allow the grid to rotate all the way back as the original props did).

ktvegasvsmrredlitesaf8.jpg

All this contributes to the Vegas comm having a more garish and cheap appearance than the MR.

This new AA/DST communicator seems exactly the same, except it's not yet known whether the parts that are supposed to be metal, ARE metal, or just plastic as they were in the toy Phaser.

Also it is rumored that the moire pattern does not spin as it should, and that there is only some kind of lenticular or holographic "effect" of motion.

On the plus side, the new version of the comm has many more sound effects, including voice clips. The MR and Vegas comms only had the call beep, the flip-open "chirp", and a "static tuning sound".

The Vegas was not bad though, and for $50 you got a decent replica with spinning moire. Plus if you took a dremel polishing wheel to the flipgrid antenna (as my friend Centralrepair did), you got a nice shiny bare brass lid under the paint, which is how the original props looked. He also seems to have hit the shiny black shells with some clearcoat to dull them down. Now it's a decent replica!

63009892gx1.jpg

Here's a comparison of all the various Communicator toys that have been available (my IPI is missing the Clock and Calculator parts)

ktpmvsipivsmrvsstexpopeef0.jpg

Well there was one other, the Mego toy from the mid Seventies. But we don't count that one. :lol

startrekusanetbluecommoty9.jpg

And around the time of Trek 5 there were these comms, available as premiums from Crest Toothpaste.

crest1ktnb6.jpg

- k

Last edited:

Do you know what is meatl on the comm? Is the antenna/grill brass or is it painted or plated plastic? Is there any aluminum on this comm?

Thanks

Dan Stokes
DDStokes@aol.com

As far as I know there has been nothing said for certain about what, if anything, is metal on the new AA/DST comm.

Their previous phaser toy had no metal on it at all.

- k

Last edited:

As far as I know there has been nothing said for certain about what, if anything, is metal on the new AA/DST comm.

Their previous phaser toy had no metal on it at all.

- k

Can you post a pic of the STE Com and the AA Side by side.....I would like to compair the curve on the grid....... :thumbsup

When I said it cost $47.00 bucks, I was speaking about the AA phaser. The comms started at $50.00 then went to $60.00 on the last batch. :lol

I don't have a photo of the Vegas on file that matches the available AA comm photos... but this is the best I could come up with.

aavssttere2.jpg

Here's a collage of the best angles of the AA... you can see that the lights appear to be "off" in two of the shots. In any case, the lights seem to be brightly colored , as opposed to the MR/Vegas LEDs which are mostly colorless when unlit.

aadstcommunicatortoyfaiaf6.jpg

I'm dying to see how the TOS tricorder came out.

Nick

Pretty cool-definitely looks like a metal antenna too!

Yeah! it is cool John.....and for only $20.00.............What I would have done for one of these 35 years ago!.....Fun to flip around while setting at the PC! :cool
Oh and I am sure I will mod one or two!.....another piece to the collection!

And thanks for the pix Phase Pistol!! :thumbsup

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back