Art Asylum / Diamond Select TOS Phaser build with metal parts.

spacerone and REdYOdA: Diagram of circuit I use to
supply power to the lasers in my mods. This is assuming you are using a green or blue laser which requires 3.0-3.7 vdc and the sound board circuit (such as the AA/DST one) is powered by another battery supply.
Feel free to e-mail me with questions!

Bill

LaserPresentaion1.jpg

spacerone and REdYOdA: Diagram of circuit I use to
supply power to the lasers in my mods. This is assuming you are using a green or blue laser which requires 3.0-3.7 vdc and the sound board circuit (such as the AA/DST one) is powered by another battery supply.
Feel free to e-mail me with questions!

Bill

Thanks Bill, we appreciate the info and will keep in touch with you.

Thanks for posting the schematic Bill!

Should come in very handy down the road as I am dying to build a black and white laser enabled phaser!

Not bad Chris :thumbsup, now all you have to do is add a little bling and I think we have a couple of winners.:lol
P1 on the gray phasers I have (3 at the moment) is, strangely, dark gray as opposed to nearly black on the others... I have no idea why they would have changed that, unless it's an entirely different 'run' with different dye levels...
No matter, easy to correct. Some putty for the seam in the silver part on top, new silver metallic paint around, and they'll be great!
But I'm in no rush. Likely to take weeks before I get to it. And I'll only do two like that anyway (the black handle in that picture will go all gray), for my own self- the others will be stored. Archived, as it were.:love

P1 on the gray phasers I have (3 at the moment) is, strangely, dark gray as opposed to nearly black on the others... I have no idea why they would have changed that...

DST did several color schemes on these. The first had a black P1, gray P2 and black handle. Then they tried to make the colors more accurate by making the handle dark bronze, took 'em a couple tries on that, the first was more like brass.

The all gray one is supposed to look like the ones from DS9's "Trials And Tribbleations". These are some of the phasers made by HMS for that episode, the kits sold by Rodd.com are based on these props. The DST toy in turn was based on the Rodd kit.
phasers.jpg

They painted the P2 in a light gray, and the P1 is closer to the original P2 color. The handle is the same color as the P2.

The original P1s were a very dark gray, the P2s a medium gray with a slight blue cast, and the handle a very dark bronze.

Heres an AA/DST I converted to the Black and White version from the first season.

DSC05874.jpg

DSC05875.jpg

Sorry its a bit dusty haha

As you can see they're a bit different than the regular version.

‪Iams001's Channel‬‏ - YouTube

I wanna see someone do a Trials and Tribbleations redo of the AA/DST Phaser. I may in the future, if I can get metal parts and the right paint hahah.

As someone you'd know would say, fascinating.
Mantrap-style?:thumbsup

Yeah. In the first 7ish episodes other than Cage and WNMHGB, they used this version until Roddenberry decided it didn't look good on TV and Wah Chang redid them in the common fashion.

The all gray one is supposed to look like the ones from DS9's "Trials And Tribbleations". These are some of the phasers made by HMS for that episode, the kits sold by Rodd.com are based on these props. The DST toy in turn was based on the Rodd kit.
phasers.jpg

Those phasers were painted Krylon Shadow Gray on the phaser I and Krylon Smoke Gray for the body and handle. The T+T phaser I had a slightly different shape and design than the later version made into kits for Rodd.com or copied by Art Asylum.

I remember back when I first got into building and collecting that many a replica were checked against that Cloudminders shot to determine how good a replica was.

"The Cloud Minders" shot is great because you can see the handle. "The Gamesters of Triskellian" also has a good shot, the gray color of the P1 is best seen in this shot.
CopyofCI-9351961630058420.jpg

And of course "Court Martial".
Courtmartial-Finney.jpg

Here's a couple pics of my DST B&W to add to the mix...(my emitter looks bent in the first pic...it's not :confused)

bw2.jpg

bw1.jpg

Question for Robn1 or anyone who knows about the TOS emitters...

Were they all shorter as referenced in the screen caps? I like the look of the longer emitters as seen in many replicas, but I also want to be screen accurate...

Did any of the seasons show phasers with the longer emitters?

Question for Robn1 or anyone who knows about the TOS emitters...

Were they all shorter as referenced in the screen caps? I like the look of the longer emitters as seen in many replicas, but I also want to be screen accurate...

The hero props had the shorter emitters. And the emitter could retract into the nozzle, inserting the P1 pushed the emitter out. This caused some variation in length. The midgrade models had the longer emitters, these were simply glued in place.

The mids are very popular, but I've always preferred the heroes.

Nice shots of the DST B&W, I never got one of those. DST made some short cuts on that one: the original B&Ws didn't have the side rails on the P1, they were added as part of the Wah Chang upgrades. DST left the molded in rails in place, they just left them unpainted. The diamond patterned grid on the P1 was also added later, the sight cover on the B&Ws was just a smooth black. Again DST just left the grid unpainted. Also the rear setting knob on the B&Ws was just a small aluminum stud, DST just kept the larger knob, but painted the top part silver instead of black.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the info Rob!

Now I do remember seeing at least one replica with the emitter that was pushed out by the P1...probably on TPZ. I think one might have been a Brad Nelson.

Nice shots of the DST B&W, I never got one of those. DST made some short cuts on that one: the original B&Ws didn't have the side rails on the P1, they were added as part of the Wah Chang upgrades. DST left the molded in rails in place, they just left them unpainted. The diamond patterned grid on the P1 was also added later, the sight cover on the B&Ws was just a smooth black. Again DST just left the grid unpainted. Also the rear setting knob on the B&Ws was just a small aluminum stud, DST just kept the larger knob, but painted the top part silver instead of black.

Thanks! I know this phaser is far from screen accurate, pretty much the only real accuracy is the black & white color:lol...I still think it was one of AA's coolest releases.

This is the phaser...getting back on topic...that I would like to convert with metal parts and a re-paint to a blue laser phaser. Hopefully be able to get on this project soon...

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back