Ark of the Covenant kit

Ozymandius

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I haven't done one of these in a while so I thought it would be fun to do a build thread on my Ark of the Covenant kit to document the prototyping process.
I've already finished the digital build in Blender so this will just be covering the physical build.
01-23.JPG2022-11-02.png

One of the fun ways this build will differ (I think) is that it will feature a fully finished interior based on the screen grabs.

Interior 2.jpg

Till next time,
Oz

One of the things I learned from doing the Cherubs is how difficult they are to cast. The wings want to sag. It's impossible to orient it so that you're not trapping air somewhere. And the base is prone to warping from the heat of so much resin.

So to combat this I scanned her and cut it into three separate pieces. This way I can get the best casts possible and the seams will hide easily.
These are all raw prints BTW. Haven't started cleaning them up yet.

Attachments

• IMG_20230408_135446712_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230408_135446712_HDR.jpg
    840.2 KB · Views: 255
  • IMG_20230408_135512081_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230408_135512081_HDR.jpg
    806.6 KB · Views: 277
Took me a long time to decide on exactly how to build the lid as my main goal was to make it so that it retained its shape and stayed strong for a lifetime. Nothing sadder than a good prop that's falling apart. Also I wanted to make assembly as easy as possible.

IMG_20230416_103127469_HDR.jpgIMG_20230416_103301655_HDR.jpgTorsion Box.JPG

The lid will be built around a torsion box made of 1/2" plywood with a grab-rail running around the outside. The decorative edges will all be pressure cast resin in interlocking sections that grip the grab-rail and distribute the weight. This will keep the structure stiff and rigid through thousands of openings.

For those unfamiliar, this is what the inside of a torsion box looks like. It uses interlocking boards, sandwiched between the top and bottom sheet. The result is a box that cannot twist or bend, keeping the entire thing square and rigid for its entire life. I use these to build assembly tables when I need something that I know will always stay flat and true.

torsion box example.jpg

The decorative rails, styles, and corners will all be pressure cast resin molded from these printed parts. they have a built in notch on the back that hill attach and hold on to the grab-rail and distribute the weight.

IMG_20230416_103319749_HDR.jpgIMG_20230408_135320309_HDR.jpg

One thing working for the theme parks has taught me is how to make props that last.

Loving this so far. The same design which decorates the interior edges of the relief panels also goes all the way around the interior sides at the bottom.

Loving this so far. The same design which decorates the interior edges of the relief panels also goes all the way around the interior sides at the bottom.

Thanks, I was wondering about that. I'll add it to the design.

BTW, currently waiting on a quote for the pole rings to be cast in yellow bronze and just finished the last two side pieces for the lid.

Are you planning on having the reliefs sculpted or do you somehow have access to the originals? Laser scans maybe? While some have gotten close, none have been spot on. Even so, they look pretty decent when plated.
I wish I could have gotten to speak with Keith Short before he passed. He did quite a bit of sculpting for Raiders.

Are you planning on having the reliefs sculpted or do you somehow have access to the originals? Laser scans maybe? While some have gotten close, none have been spot on. Even so, they look pretty decent when plated.
I wish I could have gotten to speak with Keith Short before he passed. He did quite a bit of sculpting for Raiders.

A bit of both actually. I've gotten some laser scans, but like you, something seems off. So I'm printing them and making molds so that I can pour them in clay and resculpt.

Just to confirm, this is full size, right? That's awesome. I don't think I have room in my house for that lol. But those cherubs are beautiful.

Just to confirm, this is full size, right? That's awesome. I don't think I have room in my house for that lol. But those cherubs are beautifu
Yeah, the first one is full sized but then I plan on doing a couple of smaller versions. Probably a 1/2 or 1/3 scale and then a 1/6 desktop version just for giggles.

definitely has my attention. my dad is a huge Raiders guy and my mom has a thing for the ark. i love where your head is at with the torsion box. resculpting is something i'd already mentally committed to. i want one. ☝

This is awesome, I've always wanted this particular prop ever since I was a kid.

I'll definitely be following to see how this build goes. Good luck to you!

This is fantastic. How do I get on the interested list? Would love to finally own one of these, and yours looks to be turning out to be the most accurate I’ve seen.

As I mentioned in the interest thread. 1/2 scale is the best fit for my space. So if you are doing the life-size first, do you think you will get to the other scales this year? I wouldn't think you want to print and cast multiple sized arks all at once, I for one would find that a challenge, so would you go size by size after the 1/1 is completed?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back