Apollo A7L Moon Suit

Whipped the edges of the mission patch.
DD756685-C088-434F-81F4-AD39F0BFF198.jpeg

Then I sewed it to the outer cuff before sewing the inner and outer together.

D0B9BDB0-00CB-4972-A609-6C7CC9A63E13.jpeg

Double stitched the glove to the cuff.
83AAE90D-5221-46D6-96F2-480C4B232C18.jpeg

94B612AE-8917-4A93-80D7-FF64DA737C3C.jpeg

Now to smooth and paint the finger tips!
Not sure this ones a keeper but I sure learned a lot and I can’t wait to do it again!

Wonderful work on the glove!!! Looks spot on. What material did you use for the white part (not the one with the writing on it) of the glove? The material looks so much better then what I have.

Whipped the edges of the mission patch.
View attachment 1248065
Then I sewed it to the outer cuff before sewing the inner and outer together.

View attachment 1248066

Double stitched the glove to the cuff.
View attachment 1248067
View attachment 1248068
Now to smooth and paint the finger tips!
Not sure this ones a keeper but I sure learned a lot and I can’t wait to do it again!
It’s a white denim type of material. Will probably order what was recommended earlier in the thread for next time but I really wanted to get started and that’s what they had. It’s not terrible, just doesn’t have that slight sheen.

Revised the glove pattern again after finding even better reference how the seams look on the palm. Posted to first page 1-24-20.

Attachments

• 6037B2FB-A0CA-46E5-A65E-C7B37D5EDF09.jpeg
    6037B2FB-A0CA-46E5-A65E-C7B37D5EDF09.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 201
  • palmSeams.jpg
    palmSeams.jpg
    670.4 KB · Views: 186
Last edited:
Thanks for v.4 of the glove pattern! Having it printed up then I'll be cracking on with my gloves later this week/early next week.
Before you print make sure to always check the latest pattern file. I have been trying to get it as perfect as I can. Here are some photos of the second try. This one went together WAY better and easier too. I tried the suggestion of heating the fabric to get more wrinkles and it worked pretty well. I did it after these photos though. I still need to do the cuff, but the hard part is over. Now on to the right side!
Glove pattern v4.2c-001.jpg
Glove pattern v4.2c-001.jpg
Glove pattern v4.2c-002.jpg

Yeah Ken I used 4.2c. Spent yesterday @ lunch cutting out the patterns, transferring them to fabric Thursday, then sewing Friday. I hope to have a complete glove done (minus finger tips, have to hand sew those in) posted friday.

Hey Ken, I just ordered your neck ring from shapeways. Any tips or techniques to pass on? Thanks for the great stuff!
I am actually printing the neck ring right now. May take a few days as I'm doing it in small parts... will keep you posted!

Yeah Ken I used 4.2c. Spent yesterday @ lunch cutting out the patterns, transferring them to fabric Thursday, then sewing Friday. I hope to have a complete glove done (minus finger tips, have to hand sew those in) posted friday.
This may help. Things I didn't include in last sewing post... and BTW, I ended up doing a bunch of "hand sewing" on this. A lot of times just to make sure the parts fit together perfectly and to hold them in place while I sewed them on the machine. Have fun!

Attachments

• gloveTips.jpg
    gloveTips.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 158
Well, after the better part of four hours (two coffee breaks included), here's my right glove.

20200207_151519.jpg

Everything was machine sewn except for the thumb, which was hand stitched on in three passes. Other than that no real issues, hope the next one goes more quickly!

20200207_153206.jpg

I'm also working on an insert for the electrical connectors. Using my resin printer, I was able to create a plug that fits in nicely and will have 1.0mm brass wire inserted in some of the holes to more closely match the real deal.

Perhaps my stl was mislabeled and it's actually another connector then?

Using this collection: NASA Space Suit Connection Cluster by PublicUniverse

I just looked at those. Those models are not particularly accurate.

Here is a photo of an actual Airlock Apollo electrical connector. On the left is the part mounted to the suit (Less the base disc) It's .907" tall and 1.067" in diameter.
I was going from memory in my earlier post, but you can now clearly see the circumferential groove , which is flat bottomed and centered on the fitting.
IMG_3445.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back