Apollo A7L Moon Suit

kenlandrum
I'm not sure the Apollo is a "training" suit. It looks more like a display / "meet and greet" suit. Could have it ever been used to "train", that I can't say, but, none of the elements look very close to a real suit and astronaut training suits were the same as mission suits.
The Shuttle / EMU elements are real. Clearly Class III training items there.
I know... Once I got home and looked over the photos I can see it doesn't look anything like the moon suit. :( Although the details card claimed it was a training suit. Same cut and weight. Still glad to have access to all of the other items... What a great place.

Attachments

• suit.jpg
    suit.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 210
Last edited:
Cuff checklist all finished being re type-set and cleaned up. Took a while since the modern day equivalent of the font was not to be found so I had to create my own.... Now to find a decent repro plastic covered stock to print on. I'm attaching a clean vs Xerox dirt versions of a page. Not sure which to make yet. Also one of the playmate pages (censored on here of course).

Attachments

• Apollo_12-Cuff-test1-CLEAN-BLUE.jpg
    Apollo_12-Cuff-test1-CLEAN-BLUE.jpg
    968.7 KB · Views: 254
  • Apollo_12-Cuff-test1.jpg
    Apollo_12-Cuff-test1.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 268
  • Apollo_12-Cuff-test2-CLEAN.jpg
    Apollo_12-Cuff-test2-CLEAN.jpg
    820.5 KB · Views: 254
Did anyone ever get around to printing or finished a build of the helmet? Im having real trouble!
I'm prefacing this by saying my suit is low budget and my helmet is not done, but i figured I'd share what I did anyway. I used a Home Improvement bucket someone left in my yard. I cut pieces of it off and used a heat gun to form the majority of the shape. i added foam to some areas to give it more definition, then finished the outer layer with the suit fabric.I haven't polished the piece or given it a visor. I want to vacuum form it but by haloween i might just buy a bitwell bubble shield and slap it in. Hope that helps. I did mine in a way that was cheap and achievable by haloween and I know that won't work for everyone.
1571799975126.png
1571800137585.png
1571800099734.png

This is what I have separated so far. Will share files with anyone wanting to test print.

Attachments

• Helmet-v1_parts.jpg
    Helmet-v1_parts.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 231
  • bubble.jpg
    bubble.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 218
Hello everyone, new here.

Definitely in the thick of the research phase and I was wondering if anyone had in detail measurements for the EVA gloves for patterns etc. Right now I’m using the Smithsonian 3D scans, and I’m having a little difficulty getting around all those wrinkles to make clear measurements. I have ideas.

Too, does anyone know if the palm restraint webbing strap under the back flap of the EVA glove goes inside the glove and wraps around the inner bladder (like the IVA glove), or is it patched sewed down to the sides of the opening?

I’ve attached my photo of my ongoing measurements here (let me know what you think).
35F72C77-872F-4596-9E33-EADDB9DFD68F.jpeg
BC7804F5-14BA-4346-A179-F785E04E6128.jpeg

Any details would help!

Last edited:
Does anyone know where to source the palm restraint buckle used for the 1/2” nylon webbing? Most factories won’t make it unless you order 1000 pieces (severe eye roll), and there’s nothing similar to it anywhere (closest thing I’ve come to is a 2” one meant for strapping down patients or pianos lol)

I put the measurements at around 14mmx18mm, but I don’t have the tools nor the materials to fabricate a buckle.

Hello everyone, new here.

Definitely in the thick of the research phase and I was wondering if anyone had in detail measurements for the EVA gloves for patterns etc. Right now I’m using the Smithsonian 3D scans, and I’m having a little difficulty getting around all those wrinkles to make clear measurements. I have ideas.

Too, does anyone know if the palm restraint webbing strap under the back flap of the EVA glove goes inside the glove and wraps around the inner bladder (like the IVA glove), or is it patched sewed down to the sides of the opening?

I’ve attached my photo of my ongoing measurements here (let me know what you think).
View attachment 1079025View attachment 1079027
Any details would help!

I'm currently working on the same part... I found it best to cut the model in pieces and rebuild the hard parts. Measuring the soft parts will be a little tricky but there is so much reference out there to help make it easier.

Here are the models and reference I have so far. (some measurements included)

enjoy!

Attachments

• FingerTips-SMITH.jpg
    FingerTips-SMITH.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:
I'm currently working on the same part... I found it best to cut the model in pieces and rebuild the hard parts. Measuring the soft parts will be a little tricky but there is so much reference out there to help make it easier.

Here are the models and reference I have so far. (some measurements included)

enjoy!

From what I can tell, the inner IVA bladder is like the normal IVA glove, and the palm restraint buckle, along with the nylon webbing comes out of an window opening in the EVA glove cover. There appears to be some sort of nomex colored fabric that is under the webbing in a few photos, and is overlapping the unnapped loop velcro for the palm flap.

For accuracy's sake, I'm not sure how that little piece of nomex colored fabric is placed there. Is it sewn into the underside of the EVA cover, and the webbing just sits on top, with a little overhang spilling out?

This is what I have so far. I've tested the fit on paper, but have yet to sew one up yet.
Stay tuned.

Attachments

• GloveSize.jpg
    GloveSize.jpg
    395.9 KB · Views: 276
  • A7L_Glove_Pattern-v3-1.jpg
    A7L_Glove_Pattern-v3-1.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 258
This is what I have so far. I've tested the fit on paper, but have yet to sew one up yet.
Stay tuned.

Loving the pattern! This is probably the only one in existence online, so I applaud you.

I do have a question though. In the glove assembly from the moonwalk one video, and from the 3D scans, it appears that the Fingers on the Chromel-R abrasion cover are one solid unit, and are on not multiple pieces.

Are you able to confirm?

Stay tuned.

You sir are awesome! I've been banging my head against the wall trying to figure out how to make these gloves to a reasonable level of accuracy. Thanks!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back