Apocalypse Now.......Kilgores surfboard and T Shirt.

Mr Webber

Master Member
Have brought forward some projects from this, to this day nothing has come close to seeing it for the first time in 70mm. The first is to find an old surfboard and make a replica of Kilgores. It wont be the same scale as the original to make it easier to display and the smaller ones are cheaper. Will be able to do most of the painting myself. Is there any special way to prepare a board for spray painting?

View attachment 74168 View attachment 74169 View attachment 74170 View attachment 74171

Cant have the board and not have the tshirt to go with it so thought it might be smart to ask if it has been done before and still available. Dont want to have to go through the process if i dont have to. Searched around and couldnt find anything so if anyone has seen them before, please chime in.

View attachment 74172

Last edited:
Re: Apocalypse Now.......Kilgores Gator surfboard and T Shirt.

Outstanding project! Firstly you need to make sure all the wax is cleaned off of the resin. Im assuming you might be buying a used board. 400 grit should be more than enough to get the primer coat to stick, then spray away! Man.....this has been on my 'To Do' list for ever.

Charlie dont surf son!

Thanks very much for the tips and feedback, im the same, have wanted to see this hanging on the wall for a long time. Have got some more projects to come on this.

It will be a second hand board Lear60man, think ive found one but i forgot to ask, can i use a power sander or should it be strictly hand sanding only? Mr Webber dont surf either.:lol

Mr Webber, I don't know why you don't just come to me directly first... ;)

It's not "Gator," it's "Yater," as in "Bring me my Yater spoon." (Probably why searches came up empty.) And he's wearing a Yater T-shirt. (It reads "Yater Santa Barbara Surf Shop")

Yater Surfboards: Santa Barbara, CA

All about the real board:

Honolulu Surf Museum :: Board Details

There was a low-budget 80s teen surf movie that featured "the board from Apocalypse Now," but the title escapes me. Also, the board was completely inaccurate.

I didnt catch that the first read....and yes it a a Yater. The son or grandson is still signing and shaping boards. I remember reading an article about the AN board being in at he Santa Barbara surf museum for years but its linage was questionable. I also remember something about that it wasnt really a spoon. But all that is not revenant as you are doing a paint job on a generic board.

Hand sand or power sander is fine. BUT.... strip off any sex wax first. try acetone, heat, fowl language, goof off etc. then 400 grit.

Crap just read the above links.....beat me to it.

Mr Webber, I don't know why you don't just come to me directly first... ;)

It's not "Gator," it's "Yater," as in "Bring me my Yater spoon." (Probably why searches came up empty.) And he's wearing a Yater T-shirt. (It reads "Yater Santa Barbara Surf Shop")

Yater Surfboards: Santa Barbara, CA

All about the real board:

Honolulu Surf Museum :: Board Details

There was a low-budget 80s teen surf movie that featured "the board from Apocalypse Now," but the title escapes me. Also, the board was completely inaccurate.

I was translating in the Danish.....:confused

Too true Curtis, think i`ll start running things through you first, clean out ya inbox though, its gunna get full.:lol
If i had made the logo that way, now that would be funny.

Re: Apocalypse Now.......Kilgores Yator surfboard and T Shirt.

I see you've changed the thread title, but it's y-a-t-E-r. :)

Happy now? :darnkids
Gimme a break, deaf in one ear and half blind from looking into studio lights for twenty years.:lol

For additional source photos, you might also try the Redux version of Apocalypse Now. There's a whole subplot involving the board, actually.

--EDIT--

Nevermind. From the photos you have there, it looks like they're taken from the Redux version anyway. :)

Last edited:
Thanks very much anyway Dan.

The board probably wont be accurate in terms of shape, plan to get the cheapest one i can find and my prop rooms small, but the rest will be spot on. I can do the main colour and the trimming with the lightning bolts and then call on an old scenic artist mate to do all the "detail". Should be a sweet piece, summers nearly here so i can use my roofless workshop.

Let the board sit in the sun then scrape the wax off. After sanding and painting, you can always recoat it in resin then sand it again. I would hand sand it because the original coat might be thin and you don't want to burn or go through the resin. I shaped a board myself many moons ago. When I can post from a pc and not this phone i will try and get you more info.

I know there is a board at the Coppola winery in Northern California. They also have the godfather desk, costumes from Dracula and a Tucker. I hope to visit within a few months and I'll take pics.

To return to the board for a moment, for some odd reason I got the urge to search for the movie I mentioned earlier. I thought to search on "the stick from Apocalypse Now" and finally found it:

Under the Boardwalk (1989) - IMDb

Might be worth looking at for free on YouTube, just for grins.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back