Anyone planning on picking up the Target Helmets and "improving" on them?

Lord Magneto

Sr Member
Last edited by a moderator:
If previous experience in these kinds of products holds true, they're going to be WAY too small for my head. Thankfully there's always pep!

I saw both the trooper and Kylo helmets last night. The trooper was decent, though really badly painted. The Jylo however is broken up into two halves, so it would need a lot more work.

Can anyone confirm the size on these? They didn't have much of anything at my local target and in hesitant to buy online without knowing for sure.

I didnt try them on, but they felt like adult size. They were definitely by Rubies. Both would need quite a bit of work, even the trooper helmet was two halves badly glued together, and the paint was horrendous. It honestly looked almost nothing like the photo.

I got a kylo for a budget / quick Halloween / movie opening costume. I have taken it out of the box yet, but surely I can make it look acceptable.

I didnt try them on, but they felt like adult size. They were definitely by Rubies. Both would need quite a bit of work, even the trooper helmet was two halves badly glued together, and the paint was horrendous. It honestly looked almost nothing like the photo.

Awesome, thank you!

Feel simultaneously better and worse about the helmets... :lol
vader1974 Any pics bud?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok just bought The trooper and kylo ten helmet from target. $20 out the door for both woot woot. $10 off $50 plus had a gift card laying around that I found. Will post some pics later tonight

Struck out again!

I am just having no luck with this Force Friday crap!

Rolled to two targets which were supposed to have them in stock.. one target had a Vader and the other had a Boba. Both felt on the small side, the Vader being downright tiny.

I'm going to check one last target and hopefully leave with a trooper and a Kylo! Fingers crossed!

The photo on Target's site is pretty accurate to how it looked in person, though the halves dont quite fit together that well.

So I'm still very new to doing costume with armor. What sort of improvements would you make to helmet like this?
There are a few things one can do to improve these types of helmets. The first thing would be to get rid of the seam lines. Most folks use auto body filler like Bondo to take care of this. Many people will reinforce their helmets with fiberglass, which can be easily done with an automotive fiberglassing kit. A new paint job is a must, and new lenses/visors are always preferred. I hope that helps!

There are a few things one can do to improve these types of helmets. The first thing would be to get rid of the seam lines. Most folks use auto body filler like Bondo to take care of this. Many people will reinforce their helmets with fiberglass, which can be easily done with an automotive fiberglassing kit. A new paint job is a must, and new lenses/visors are always preferred. I hope that helps!

Thanks, it's a big help! Seeing the pictures in the post before yours, which show the seam made that immediately obvious as one of the big things to do.

I've had a half-started Captain America pepakura helmet for nearly a year, and I've really wanted to start getting some hands on experience with Bondo, even if not finishing this Cap helmet... I feel like maybe improving on something like these is a good way to get some starting experience...

Yep. That's exactly what I'm planning on. I don't mind if they arnt 100% accurate. I just want some nice looking helmets for my man cave.

Thanks, it's a big help! Seeing the pictures in the post before yours, which show the seam made that immediately obvious as one of the big things to do.

I've had a half-started Captain America pepakura helmet for nearly a year, and I've really wanted to start getting some hands on experience with Bondo, even if not finishing this Cap helmet... I feel like maybe improving on something like these is a good way to get some starting experience...

A project like this would certainly be less of a gargantuan task than a pepakura helmet. I think you've got the right idea; fixing up a pre-made helmet would be good training for taking on a full-on scratch build.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back