Any square fibre optics out there?

3Dsf

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
So I was thinking recently about the appearance of fibre optics when used as windows in small scale models. It’s great to see such tiny points of light, but there’s the thing that they’re always round. From great distances that’s fine, but closer up and in photos you can tell that they’re more portholes than square windows.

Now obviously it should be straightforward for fibre manufacturers to make tiny square cross-section fibres, but there’s probably not much of a market for them. I’ve seen square profile fibres in 1.5mm only, and in funky colours.

So anyone seen, say, 0.5mm clear square fibre? It’d obviously be a huge time-consuming pain to cut or sand zillions of round fibres to look square, even if you only have to do the ends!

It seems to be pretty rare. The only thing with a square/rectangular profile I found is side-light stuff rather than the end glow.

TazMan2000

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back