Any one good with circuits and electronics?

Drac,

Since I don't have the Adafruit Audio FX Sound Board to test, I can only go by what is written in the descriptions.
I am not sure the number of files you have to play or the size in memory, but you only get 2MB of flash in the sound board.
Since you are not playing the files in stereo, it won't need as much space to store your files.
A 4 button remote is a bit more channels then you need, when only one is required to "pick the next sound file" in a row.

Also, you don't want the remote receiver to "LOCK" ON when you press the button on the transmitter.
You just need the contact on the receiver to "close momentarily" to trigger the "next" file on the sound board, then the contact opens again
for the next press of the button.

Yeah I realise the size issue but for what I need it should be ok, I'm not sure what you mean when you say lock on?
I think I know what you mean about the 4 buttons, it should be the case of activating each sound by pressing the same button if the sounds are named in such a way to play one after the other? So probably only a 2 button would do as I don't know if you can get a 1 button. The one I listed is a momentary type key fob anyway.

Last edited:
Hey,
Can you post the link to the key fob remote you are looking to get?
<snip>
RF receiver - momentary type
 Key fob RF remote control 4 button type
>snap<

Some remote controls "lock" the receivers relay contacts in the Closed position until you press the button again to un-lock...

He means that the button will (should) only temporarily close/make the connection (like a springy switch)..

vs (what is commonly referred to as a 'latching switch').. where the button/switch stays close/connected when pressed (usually needing another press to open/dis-connect)

while there are latching push button switches.. it may be easier to think of a latching switch type as a 'slide' or 'rocker' type switch if it helps make the connection on how they work.

latching = stays 'latched' in that position
momentary = 'temporarily' makes connection and releases.

He means that the button will (should) only temporarily close/make the connection (like a springy switch)..

vs (what is commonly referred to as a 'latching switch').. where the button/switch stays close/connected when pressed (usually needing another press to open/dis-connect)

while there are latching push button switches.. it may be easier to think of a latching switch type as a 'slide' or 'rocker' type switch if it helps make the connection on how they work.

latching = stays 'latched' in that position
momentary = 'temporarily' makes connection and releases.

I got it ;-) cheers, learning as I go lol

no worries.

just trying to explain things different.. people identify with certain things/communication different then the next guy. :)

no worries.

just trying to explain things different.. people identify with certain things/communication different then the next guy. :)

Lol I know it's always helpful to hear things explained in a few ways, specially for me lol :)

Hi again Drac,

I checked your link to the remote.
You need the M4 version:

There are a few different types of receivers and each one looks identical but they act differently!
  • The M4 momentary type acts like a push button - when the A button is held down, the matching pin goes high. When the A button is released, the matching pin goes low. The pins only go high when a button is pressed
  • The T4 toggle type acts like an alternating toggle switch - when the A button is pressed the first time, the matching pin goes high. When the A button is pressed a second time, the matching pin goes low. The pins are turned on and off by repeated presses
  • The L4 latch type acts like a selector switch - when the A button is pressed the first time, the matching pin goes high. When the B button is pressed it turns A's pin off and turns B's pin on. When C is pressed, it turns B off, etc. Only one is on at a time. If you press the same button twice, it doesn't turn that pin off.

Also: The link you gave me is for the receiver only, you also need to get the transmitter:
This product ID is for the Momentary M4 type! It only includes the receiver module, you will also need to pick up a keyfob transmitter
Each receiver also has a VT pin, which will go high if any of the pins are activated.

Last edited:
Hi again Drac,

I checked your link to the remote.
You need the M4 version:

There are a few different types of receivers and each one looks identical but they're act differently!
  • The M4 momentary type acts like a push button - when the A button is held down, the matching pin goes high. When the A button is released, the matching pin goes low. The pins only go high when a button is pressed
  • The T4 toggle type acts like an alternating toggle switch - when the A button is pressed the first time, the matching pin goes high. When the A button is pressed a second time, the matching pin goes low. The pins are turned on and off by repeated presses
  • The L4 latch type acts like a selector switch - when the A button is pressed the first time, the matching pin goes high. When the B button is pressed it turns A's pin off and turns B's pin on. When C is pressed, it turns B off, etc. Only one is on at a time. If you press the same button twice, it doesn't turn that pin off.

Also: The link you gave me is for the receiver only, you also need to get the transmitter:
This product ID is for the Momentary M4 type! It only includes the receiver module, you will also need to pick up a keyfob transmitter
Each receiver also has a VT pin, which will go high if any of the pins are activated.

Thanks, I gave you the link to the M4 didn't I? Yeah I knew I need the transmitter, forgot to add that to the post earlier, apologies I didn't realise lol

- - - Updated - - -

I would only need one button too?

https://www.adafruit.com/products/1392

Hey Drac,

Just checking to see if you got your toaster back from polishing and started putting all the electronics in?
Can't wait to see it in all it's glory :^)

propmaster2000

Hey Drac,

Just checking to see if you got your toaster back from polishing and started putting all the electronics in?
Can't wait to see it in all it's glory :^)

propmaster2000

hi, I have indeed got it back and it looks pretty awesome, I haven't got all the Electronics I need just yet, I've had a few expenditures for my R2 project. But I'm still going with this one for certain :) glad there is interest though :)

Little update, have purchased the reciever and the key fob as well as the speakers today so they are on there way, I will be getting the adafruit board and a few other bits this weekend hopefully.

Little update, have purchased the reciever and the key fob as well as the speakers today so they are on there way, I will be getting the adafruit board and a few other bits this weekend hopefully.

Good afternoon Drac,

I was wondering how the Adafruit sound board works for your needs as well as the transmitter/receiver key fob circuit?
I'm always interested in different, unique electronics setups.

Good afternoon Drac,

I was wondering how the Adafruit sound board works for your needs as well as the transmitter/receiver key fob circuit?
I'm always interested in different, unique electronics setups.

Hi, unfortunately I went to get the other bits I needed last weekend including the Adafruit board and they were out of stock they have some coming in so it's on hold at the minute :-( I'll keep updated though :)

Hi Drac,

It's a new year and I was thinking about how your project with the toaster is coming along?
I know there was some delay in getting all the parts.

Hi Drac,

It's a new year and I was thinking about how your project with the toaster is coming along?
I know there was some delay in getting all the parts.

Hi there, thanks for checking in lol. To be honest I did very little to any of my projects, what with work etc during the year I used the time to spend it all with the family, I did a bit of prep work with the body etc but that's really all. Now we are in the new year I will be getting back to it soon as it's taking way too long to get done. I was hoping to be the first person to have done this prop, I know others have done thing similar but I've seen nothing using the exact model used in the show :)

Hey,
I know that you are going about it in a very different way with the sound files, remote activation and all. smile.png
Are you still going to have the custom front ''speaker'' grill?

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back