Any Life Aquatic props out there?

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by sd1138, Jun 20, 2006.

1. sd1138

sd1138 New Member

I was just wondering if there were any "The Life Aquatic" props out there?

Something like the Zissou ring or mabye the posters that he signs at the beginning of the film? I've seen the red hat on Ebay that has the traffic light on it, but it doesnt seem to be like the one used in the movie.

Post some pics if ya got anything. Thanks in Advance.

2. SurferGeek

SurferGeek Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

<div class='quotetop'>(sd1138 @ Jun 20 2006, 03:06 AM) [snapback]1264409[/snapback]</div>

Someone here had posted a link to an online source for a tuque that was almost identical to the one used on the film. Must have fallen off as I can't find it via the site search function.

3. Servo

Servo Well-Known Member

How about the patches?
    You can get them here.

4. A.J.

A.J. New Member

Resurrecting an old thread...

I just printed and framed the three Zissou movie posters that can be found from the Criterion DVD release. The quality was ok at best, so I was wondering if anybody has seen better quality versions around?

Belafonte replica is one my 'holy grails' :) Apart from building it myself (highly unlikely), acquiring that might be quite impossible.

5. d_osborn

d_osborn Sr Member

i would LOVE an accurate pair of the adidas shoes...

6. TheRealMcFly

TheRealMcFly Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

You gotta find the Adidas Roms from 2001. Paint the middle stripe light blue, throw in yellow laces and you're good to go. If you're feeling extra crafty/insane you paint Zissou on in gold... or use dry transfer railroad letters with clearcoat. The latter method is the best, but probably the least durable. I've already completely worn out my first pair, and have a less accurate but more comfortable custom pair I made from different roms based on an vintage pattern. I've got one more set to make, from screen accurate roms.

I made a costume for halloween one year, and found the exact holster they use for their Glocks. I've got some photos around here somehwere, but you will have to wait until tomorrow to see it all.

7. darthinvictus

darthinvictus Well-Known Member

the ring will be avaiable soon

8. A.J.

A.J. New Member

The mini-posters I framed:

[​IMG]

9. DrMcoy

DrMcoy Sr Member

I am almost done with BELAFONTE model -- I picked up a Revell Calypso boat which looks 90% close to what was used in the film -- in fact, when Steve Zissou holds up small model of Belafonte in the movie, I believe it is the actual Revell Calypso and hasn't even been modified structurally except for paint job. Almost done except for some detail work and custom decals -- I'll post pics of it soon -- not too hard to build, but they are hard to come by -- check ebay from time to time -- they go for $30 to $60 depending on condition of kit.

I am also painting up some ADVENTURE PEOPLE figures from the 1970's -- in LIFE AQUATIC you can see several "Team Zissou" action figures next to TV set on boat as the crew watches some old Zissou videos. I'll post pics of those soon.

The only other props I can think of worth mentioning (that haven't already been mentioned) would be the ring, which darth is doing, and perhaps the stationary Steve gives to Ned "Kinglsey" Plimpton when he joins the team.

If anyone does a run of the Steve Zissou posters, I would be in for those!

10. DrMcoy

DrMcoy Sr Member

AJ -- where did you get the posters? Did you print them from the DVD somehow??? Very cool.

11. darthinvictus

could you post the images here of the posters?
    or email them?
    perty pleez

12. A.J.

A.J. New Member

That's cool, can't wait for the pictures! I was also thinking about modifying a Calypso kit. You just used pictures from the movie as reference?

13. rollerboi

rollerboi Sr Member

Ooh. I, too, would love the file for those posters, AJ.

14. A.J.

A.J. New Member

I just grabbed the images from the DVD using print screen and pasted it to Photoshop. The resolution is only good for A4 printing, but it's better than nothing. Maybe with some further editing, they could be improved.

For a talented builder, this would be very nice I think:

http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/acatalog/billing_boats_calypso.html

Last edited: Jun 30, 2009
  15. darthinvictus

quickly rollerboi to the free paper thread
    we .. havent .. a.. moment .. to lose

16. Contec

Contec Master Member

Send them to Kurtyboy :) He seems very good with photoshop.

17. darthinvictus

here are 2

18. A.J.

A.J. New Member

Cross-section poster from the Belafonte would also be nice.

Was any official Zissou merchandise ever released?

19. darthinvictus

on some french site i saw a track jacket
    but it didnt look great
    there are petitions for the adidas but so far they have fallen on deaf ears

20. rollerboi

rollerboi Sr Member

I looked over the free paper thread, but didn't see anything.. am I missing something? Or am I supposed to put something there? :)

21. darthinvictus

trippin on the adam west vibe sorry
    i meant we should see if someone there can hook us up with hi res versions or clean up the ones we have

22. DrMcoy

DrMcoy Sr Member

I used reference I found through GOOGLE and simply watching the movie.

My model of Belafonte will not be exact, but close. The Calypso is 90% close to Belafonte, but the antennae rigging is on the main cabin, or bridge, and not on the main deck as it is on the Calypso. The bridge structure is also slightly different -- however, the basic shape of the hull is almost spot on. One bigger difference is the little smoke stack or whatever it is directly behind bridge cabin -- on Calypso it is short and stubby, and on Belafonte it is quite tall -- I modified this piece on my Revell model to match Belafonte -- but if you watch movie when Murray is holding the Belafote model in hand, I believe it is the actual Revell Calypso just painted blue -- little smoke stack is stubby on the model he holds. So if you are building the Calypso as a PROP REPLICA, you will want to leave it stubby, but if you want it to look more like the actual Belafonte, then you'll have to modify a few pieces here and there. Once I post pictures, it's a lot easier to see what I am talking about -- I'll try to get them up within the next day or two.

Calypso also comes with the round yellow mini-submarine and helicopter, as well as helicopter platform -- once you look at pics of Calypso model and then pic of Belafonte, you'll see that they are VERY close -- so close that if you built the Calypso as is and just painted it light blue, most people would never know the difference.

I did see the $300 Radio Control Calypso -- very nice, but out of my price range. :)

23. Jayn

Jayn Sr Member

I thought there were more old threads on this.. ?
    Anyway.. someone posted that they had found the coffeemaker..:cool

24. DrMcoy

DrMcoy Sr Member

Well, Murray's was very distinct -- I have one that is close, but if anyone knows a source for one that is closer to what his looked like, please post info. I've been looking for one for years.

Also, they did do a licensed red knit cap with traffic stoplight patch and LIFE AQUATIC embroidered on back....may have been a movie premium.

25. DrMcoy

DrMcoy Sr Member

Oh yeah, when movie was first out, they did have TEAM ZISSOU membership cards you could print out from official movie web site. I have mine at work -- I'll post pics tomorrow.

26. Agent RayBans

Agent RayBans Sr Member

A few years ago I made a pair. I used some original Adidas Roms from the 70's for mine. They have have the same tread as the Zissous, where as, if I remember correctly, the 2001 reissues had a redesigned tread. They were mint in box when I got them, but not so much anymore. They have been my everyday shoe ever since. With every step I take Adidas collectors everywhere die a little :lol I ended up not taking off the ROM logo and painting on ZISSOU because I feared it would look like crap in the end.

[​IMG]

I'm still itching for some one to do accurate uniforms :love

27. DrMcoy

DrMcoy Sr Member

Here are a few pics of my Revell Calypso kit being converted -- not quite finished -- need to add helicopter platform and mini-sub and a few tiny detail parts, but this will give you a pretty good idea of how it can look -- notice the blue stack thing poking up behind bridge -- on actual kit, this is about 1/2 this size, maybe even 1/3 the size -- I built it up with plastic tube and putty. Not perfect, but I'm happy. Also made the antennae thing sticking off top from Calypso pieces I didn't use -- kind of hodge podged a few tiny pieces to make an antennae that, while not 100% match, is again close enough for me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are some pics of actual Belafonte...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here's a pic of Murray holding the model...

[​IMG]

And here is screen cap of Zissou action figs...

[​IMG]

And here is pic of two I have -- one with red cap modified from safari hat it was molded with and painted except for shoes, and one not painted or capped...

[​IMG]

PLEASE NOTE: All photos of my model and figures are MIRROR images as they were taken with my iPhoto camera on mac computer.

THANKS TO WHACKYCHIMP for hosting pics.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2009
  28. A.J.

A.J. New Member

DrMcoy, thanks for the pics...looks good! Was that Revell kit hard to find?

Hopefully Criterion will release the movie on Blu-ray soon, would make for even better reference material with increased resolution :)

hmm... I wonder how's is the restoration of the actual Calypso going... I think it's now on a drydock in France.

29. QuartZ

QuartZ Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Me, my girlfriend, and 2 of our friends did Team Zissou costumes a few years back. Costumes included: customized hats, custom trim-stitched shirts with shoulder epaulettes and patches, pants, customized shoes with zissou print and yellow laces, and of course leg holsters for our Glocks (not carried in public).

[​IMG]

We spent several nights building the costumes as a group. It was fun and tedious. Mental note, it's hard to make non-prop people understand the value of accuracy :) but we went all out anyway.

30. darthinvictus

drmcoy
    lookin good!
    quartz very nice work.

31. DrMcoy

DrMcoy Sr Member

About a month ago I saw two Revell Calypso's on ebay -- one built up and one unbuilt. I would have taken either as I simply wanted to repaint, but the unbuilt one ended first and I got it for $50 --- but when I got it it was missing the clear pieces, so the seller refunded me $25, which was nice -- the only clear piece really needed is the helicopter window, which I was able to recreate from a small piece cut from plastic soda bottle.

Anyways -- the other model went for $50 or $60, and then a week later I noticed another model listed for $30 or so -- I think it sold for $50 to $60. But when I did a completed items check, I saw that one went for $30 a month or so ago.

So, keep checking ebay.

No idea what's up with actual Calypso restoration.

VERY COOL COSTUMES QUARTZ !!!!! You got any spare hats or shoes ?? :)

32. darthinvictus

drMcoy
    adidas sambas are very close
    and are easy to find
    in fact if you wear a size 11 i can point you to a pair that are 30 dollars or so
    the problem is the guy only has that one size from an overstock

33. randommann

randommann Active Member

34. Darklighter

Darklighter Well-Known Member

:lol:lol

Those came out great!

35. DrMcoy

DrMcoy Sr Member

Nah....got big feet -- would likely need a size 12. :(

But thanks for thinking of me!

36. DrMcoy

DrMcoy Sr Member

And yes, only Ned wore the hat with TRAFFIC LIGHT patch

37. darthinvictus

target sores have these little packs of colorful lizards for 5 bucks that remind me of zissou
    particularly the one he flicks of his hand
    will post pics

38. darthinvictus

here are the pics of the sambas and lizards

39. DrMcoy

DrMcoy Sr Member

Fabulous! So glad to see fans of this movie here on the RPF ! And here I thought I was the only one that liked this movie!!

Thanks for posting pics of the shoes and lizard -- I may have to take the plunge and buy a pair of the shoes off ebay -- $80 is a bit steep, but I know I'd wear them.

I see you snuck a Zissou action figure in there, too!

40. darthinvictus

the action figure is your fault!

41. DrMcoy

DrMcoy Sr Member

42. darthinvictus

laughed and cried
    but strangely in the mood for a piece of gum

43. DrMcoy

DrMcoy Sr Member

Been working on the Calypso-conversion-to-Belafonte a little bit each day. Got it pretty much finished -- the only thing I think I'm gonna add are decals -- BELAFONTE that goes on side and maybe circle with Z in it for helicopter landing pad...and maybe the Zissou flag, but that will be really small. I'll also do something with the base -- not sure if a decal or an engraved metal plaque.

Since I posted pics, I have gone back and redone the antennae thing -- the one before was way too tall and too busy -- this looks a lot closer. I also added the little spherical antennae thingy behind it. I also picked up some N-scale figures from Hobby Lobby and repainted them to look like Team Zissou -- they were pretty darn small (they are not taller than your fingernail) and my eyes ain't what they used to be -- so this may be the last time I attempt anything like this.

Take a look -- as I have mentioned, the Calypso model is not 100% accurate to what Belafonte looked like, but its so close -- the cabin is a bit off, but these are all the modifications I'm prepared to do. If anyone else takes this on, I'd love to see your pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 5, 2009
  44. DivineHeresy

DivineHeresy Sr Member

Man, that turned out super nice!!
    I saw the film soo long ago now i may need to give it another watch.
    Great job :thumbsup

45. DrMcoy

DrMcoy Sr Member

Thanks! I appreciate it.

As with most any project, there are always things I'd like to do to take it further, or things I wish I had modified more, but with three kids and a wife, I usually decide up front how much time I want to devote to something...and this one came out pretty good for the time I wanted to invest.

I am sure a more experienced modeler could take it to the next step -- maybe even cutting out all the cabin windows and adding lights and such, but time for me to move onto whatever's next.

BUT if anyone else builds one of these, please post pics.

46. DivineHeresy

DivineHeresy Sr Member

I'll second that!:thumbsup

47. darthinvictus

really really great job
    also have a family and know the time alotment game
    superb

48. TheRealMcFly

TheRealMcFly Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I am loving that model kit. :thumbsup

49. DrMcoy

DrMcoy Sr Member

A few pics of my Belafonte shown with some Zissou figures I made from vintage Action People figures to match those shown in movie. Also made a Rainbow Seahorse and Jaguar Shark from kids toys.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks to Wackychimp for hosting pics.

50. DivineHeresy

DivineHeresy Sr Member

Great display!