Ant-Man

Michael Douglas to Star as Hank Pym in Marvel's Ant-Man | News | Marvel.com
Marvel continues to surprise us with their casting decisions.

"With Hank Pym's rich history in the Marvel Universe, we knew we needed an actor capable of bringing the weight and stature to the role that the character deserves," said Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige. "We felt incredibly relieved when Michael Douglas agreed to step into the part with the charm and fortitude he brings to every character he inhabits, and couldn't be more excited to see what he will do to bring Hank Pym to life."

Last edited:
Exclusive: Edgar Wright Talks Ant-Man | Superhero Hype

Wright just retweeted the above article from 2006. The following was his initial idea to incorporate both characters. So Douglas will be playing the older version of Hank Pym in the current time, but I wonder who will play his younger version in the 60s.

"SHH!: I think it's interesting that the Ant-Man you knew and grew up with was the Scott Lang one, since most people I would think know the one who hung with the Wasp in "Tales to Astonish."

Wright: Well, the thing is that what we want to do, the idea that we have for the adaptation is to actually involve both. Is to have a film that basically is about Henry Pym and Scott Lang, so you actually do a prologue where you see Pym as Ant-Man in action in the 60's, in sort of "Tales to Astonish" mode basically, and then the contemporary, sort of flash-forward, is Scott Lang's story, and how he comes to acquire the suit, how he crosses paths with Henry Pym, and then, in an interesting sort of Machiavellian way, teams up with him. So it's like an interesting thing, like the "Marvel Premiere" one that I read which is Scott Lang's origin, it's very brief like a lot of those origin comics are, and in a way, the details that are skipped through in the panels and the kind of thing we'd spend half an hour on."

It makes sense. Douglas can play the role of his mentor and guide. And he may get a multipicture deal out of this if the role is a success.

Michael Douglas to Star as Hank Pym in Marvel's Ant-Man | News | Marvel.com
Marvel continues to surprise us with their casting decisions.

"With Hank Pym's rich history in the Marvel Universe, we knew we needed an actor capable of bringing the weight and stature to the role that the character deserves," said Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige. "We felt incredibly relieved when Michael Douglas agreed to step into the part with the charm and fortitude he brings to every character he inhabits, and couldn't be more excited to see what he will do to bring Hank Pym to life."

Wat8.jpg

HOLY AGE GAP, BATMAN!!!

Interesting casting choice, more so since there was absolutely zero chatter out there about Douglas. Least we know Pym will be in the movie and the MCU Ant-Man will indeed be Lang. Overall I'm indifferent about this news, Douglas is a proven quality actor and this is a supporting role, but a bit sad to see that they went with Lang instead of Pym. As long as Marvel Studios maintains their current track record I probably wouldn't care much once the movie comes out.

Having Douglas in the film will lend it some credibility for sure. Funny that he's like his dad and suddenly in a scifi movie after decades of serious work.

Douglas is just going to be there as Pym to pass the torch to Lang played by Paul Rudd. Pym most likely has to retire from being Ant Man because of throat problems from all his previous adventures.

Last edited:
Michael Douglas wants to surprise audiences with Marvel's 'Ant-Man' | Reuters
Some quotes from Douglas.

"I've been dying to do a Marvel picture for so long," Douglas told Reuters on Monday. "The script is really fun, the director is really good. Dylan (the actor's 13-year-old son) will love it. He'll have a picture he can see."

Pym's character first appeared in the 27th issue of Marvel Comics series "Tales to Astonish" in January 1962. Kevin Feige, president of Marvel Studios, said in a statement posted on Marvel.com that Douglas will play Pym with "charm and fortitude."

Douglas, who won a Best Actor Oscar in 1988 for Oliver Stone's financial drama "Wall Street" and picked up a Golden Globe award on Sunday for his turn as Liberace in HBO movie "Behind the Candelabra," is taking a rare step into the world of big-budget franchise action films.

"Sometimes - like (when) they didn't see you for Liberace - you've got to shake them up a little bit and have some fun," Douglas said of surprising both studios and audiences with his decision to do a superhero film.

More rumor bits about Ant-Man: UPDATE: Michael Peña In Early Talks For ANT-MAN Role And New Plot Details Revealed

I'm kinda digging the idea of Pym being a Cold War spy and now tutoring Lang as his successor. Not really sure yet how Van Dyne will fit into the film (if they even put her in the movie), it'd be pretty incestuous for comic fans to make her Pym's daughter but maybe the female lead is a different character altogether.

And another casting news, Clifton Collins Jr: http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/notyetamovie/news/?a=92957
Not sure if this means Pena is out of the running.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back