Ant Man and the Wasp Quantumania

I forgot to talk about MODOK. I agree that there isn't a way to do him where he doesn't look ridiculous, especially if you're using a real person's face instead of a CG character from scratch.
I do question, though, the need to do him at all. I think the Marvel think tank needs to be occasionally reminded that just because something is in the comics canon doesn't make it movie-worthy. Not all of it is gold. Some of it is just stupid. (See also: Namor's foot wings)

I forgot to talk about MODOK. I agree that there isn't a way to do him where he doesn't look ridiculous, especially if you're using a real person's face instead of a CG character from scratch.
I do question, though, the need to do him at all. I think the Marvel think tank needs to be occasionally reminded that just because something is in the comics canon doesn't make it movie-worthy. Not all of it is gold. Some of it is just stupid. (See also: Namor's foot winwings
I think they could have pulled off MODOK if they didn't give him a normal looking face with a normal voice. The comic book MODOK's face was weathered, wrinkled and distorted.

They didn't have to make him Darren. He would have been better in every way.

A faithful adaptation of this in CGI could have worked.

modok.gif

Unfortunately, theories don't make for good movies. We can't deal with how it should have been, we can only go with what we got and what we have gotten for years now is crap.

I don't disagree. It only makes me mourn over what might have been.
But I've been scratching my head for how the MCU could have gone from the highs of Endgame to such crashing lows as this. This theory seems the most plausible explanation.

I don't disagree. It only makes me mourn over what might have been.
But I've been scratching my head for how the MCU could have gone from the highs of Endgame to such crashing lows as this. This theory seems the most plausible explanation.
I don't even think that Endgame was all that hot. It's not for the same reasons as Phase 4, but when you're just throwing CGI and endless characters at the screen, it's just visual vomit, not a good story with quality character arcs, etc. It's just "ooh, look!" and that's mostly what Hollywood puts out these days.

I don't even think that Endgame was all that hot. It's not for the same reasons as Phase 4, but when you're just throwing CGI and endless characters at the screen, it's just visual vomit, not a good story with quality character arcs, etc. It's just "ooh, look!" and that's mostly what Hollywood puts out these days.
If they throw enough aliens and explosions at you, you won’t notice that there’s no story.

MODOK didn't offend me. Even when the books played him seriously he's always been just goofy AF to look at and for an oddball deep-cut character like him that will likely only see the one appearance I don't mind the treatment he got at all.
The CG did look weird, but I wonder how much of that is just due to what they had to make happen. MODOK is not a character that fits what a human expects to see as a person.
Modok was one of the best parts only cuz I DIDNT know anything about the character going in other then he looked ridiculous in everything I’ve seen

So when the prime complaint is he looked ridiculous, I dunno what to say… there’s a cool way to do that character!?

Oookkay. At least I got a laugh out of this one!

In spite of the sound and fury, Endgame was also the culmination of multiple character arcs built up over ten years of films.
I am right, and you are wrong.

So there.

End game is incredible storytelling that ends in a CG bland nightmare that STILL finds sections to break and have great character moments.

For me the final battle after “avengers assemble” is the only weak part of the that flick… and that’s not very weak still. (Well maybe a couple of Thanos scenes I’ll take a pee now)

That Endgame runtime fliiiies by. Felt the same with quantumanium really, pacing is great. Not Endgame great, but way better than Wakanda Forever-looking at my watch! *rimshot*

I didn't think it was necessarily a bad film, I just found it very uninteresting.
Are they really expecting this Kang guy to carry the MCU thru this next phase? Because, God, he is boring!!

Finally saw, it wasn’t nearly as fun as the other two, which gave them their charm for me. I didn’t connect at all with warrior woman, Murray was a surprise but they didn’t do anything interesting with him.
Weird creatures just made it feel like Star Wars cantina everywhere. This realm was too normal, I would expect far more strange things other than just looking strange. Almost a Tron like place which also has a few weird creatures. Smart ant army was cool. Kang was fine enough but I know the actor may get replaced. Not sure doubling down on all this multiverse stuff going forward is wise. Just keeping up with the normal characters is a lot. Now they want all these multiple and alternate versions? I got more than my fill of that with No Way Home, Doctor Strange and Loki for that.

For me, any future marvel movies will be watched on Disney+. It only takes about 8 to 10 weeks once it hit the theaters to hit the platform anyway. I think I finally realized that marvel has made the same movie 34 times now.

The only thing that I’m actually excited about now, is Loki season two, and the Nick Fury secret wars series. Nothing else holds my interest.

Saw it last night. I liked it a lot! I wouldn't say I "loved" it because it's rare that I truly love a franchise film these days, but I very much enjoyed it and am really looking forward to more.

Frankly, I love when the Marvel films swing for the fences with the bonkers out-there stuff. I mean, I love the more grounded MCU as well, but ever since the first Thor movie came out, I've so enjoyed seeing Marvel films embrace the truly weird aspects of their comics legacy, from Jack Kirby's distinct designs to Doctor Strange's bizarre visuals to the weird multiversal stuff.

I'm digging this new phase, too. I don't get all the burbling rumors about how Marvel's films are failing and such. I think people are (1) primed to crap on Marvel because they had such a long run of successes, (2) people can't really see where things are headed, and (3) they look at Phase 1 and 2 thru rose-tinted glasses.

Everyone has had their "Has Marvel lost it?" articles in the can for ages now, like pre-writing a famous person's obituary. When the films don't do Endgame box office numbers, it's time to trot them out. Yawn.

I think it's also difficult for people to imagine what the culmination of this phase will be, too. With Phase 1, the culmination was the formation of the Avengers in "The Avengers," which was a monumental success and a terrific capstone to what was a shakier launch than I think a lot of people remember. With Phase 2, it was pretty obvious they were building to another Avengers film, which set in motion Phase 3, which culminated with Endgame. Anyone remotely familiar with the Infinity Gauntlet storyline knew where they were headed by the time the first Avengers film ended and we got our first glimpse of Thanos.

But I think people have seriously forgotten how uneven those first three Phases were. Iron Man was terrific, and Captain America: The First Avenger has had a bit of a renaissance and is now quite well regarded, but when a bunch of these films first came out, people were fairly unimpressed. Anyone remember The Incredible Hulk? Or the way people responded to the first Thor film? How about Iron Man 2? Really, out of the six Phase 1 films, only three are generally well-regarded now, with the rest being "Fair to middling." I mean, I enjoy them all, but on first release, they weren't all smash hits.

Same story with Phase 2. Another uneven ride. Guardians of the Galaxy 1 was amazing, The Winter Soldier is peak Marvel, and Ant-Man was a lot of fun, but Iron Man 3 is pretty weak, most folks didn't love Thor: The Dark World, and Age of Ultron was a seriously mixed bag on release and remains the weakest of the Avengers films.

Phase 3 was thus far the longest of the phases, and I think tends to be what most colors people's attitudes about the MCU. It was a run of 11(!) films of which most were at least "pretty good" and many were "outstanding." Captain America: Civil War was kind of a mini-Avengers film. Doctor Strange brought to life a comic I thought could be unfilmable. Guardians of the Galaxy 2 wasn't as well received as Part 1 but was still solid. Spider-Man Homecoming was a fun little film with a tight focus. Thor: Ragnarok was a welcome departure from the dreary Dark World. Black Panther was simply amazing. Infinity War gave us the "OH CRAP" snap. Ant-Man and the Wasp was fun, even though it didn't quite do the thing I wanted it to do with Ghost. Captain Marvel was a good film beset by some really toxic "fan" reactions. Endgame was, well, Endgame, and it all capped off with Spider-Man: Far from Home.

With Phases 4 and 5, though, everything changed. The core Avengers were done, but also Marvel was branching into TV, which creates a different style of storytelling, and sort of diffused things, both in terms of the platforms and in terms of how stories were told across multiple episodes of a show. But honestly, I've really enjoyed just about all of it. The difficulty here, I think, is that people can't quite see the big picture yet, and given what they got used to with Phase 3, that bothers them.

Folks want to know how Kang is going to threaten things. With Quantumania, you get the first hints of it, but the role could be re-cast (which would be a shame, but should be done if the allegations prove to be true), and it's hard for a lot of people to imagine how a gazillion Kangs are going to threaten the multiverse, and then how that threat will be met. It's fundamentally different from the Infinity Gauntlet series, and the closest thing to it is the Once and Future Kang storyline from the comics.

It would have been far better for the exiled Kang to rise to power, take out multiple planets, and then take on our Avengers as a way to redeem himself towards the Kang collective. With the intention of getting back into good graces, and killing them.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back