Ant-Man

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Movie Talk' started by Vivek, May 7, 2012.

1. Vivek

Vivek Master Member Community Staff RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  2. Pipersaurus

Pipersaurus New Member

He needs to stop tweeting and get to work!

3. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

It means someone actually remembers that the Marvel character exists lol. I don't see how they could even market that as a movie, he is one of those heroes that best stays in the comic books.

4. Sundowner

Sundowner Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I disagree. They'll make bucks bringing back the "Honey I shrunk the kids" concept.

5. EyeofSauron

EyeofSauron Master Member

i disagree. i want an antman movie. and i hope wasp is in it too, or otherwise i dont see the point.

6. MooMooEgg

MooMooEgg Sr Member

I really hope they modify the origin a bit. I don't mind the shrinking (and eventual growing) aspects, but no talking to/controlling ants PLEASE. I'd rather them have Pym create some form of nanites or something, which he'd call "ants", and they would be what allows him to change his size.

7. Quinn Merrick

Quinn Merrick Well-Known Member

You must work for WB! Cause THAT^ is exactly why the DC movies fail and exactly why the Marvel movies, especially The Avengers movie, did so well. Why in the hell should they change it? Because YOU don't like it? Well that character has been going strong for 50 years and has MANY fans who want him exactly the way he is. I think the movie can suffer loosing your viewership in exchange for all the fans who will undoubtedly love an Ant-Man who controls insects.

Don't fix what ain't broken.

8. MooCriket

MooCriket Master Member

I just think someone simply sent the man a sign. I can't see Ant Man carrying a solo film. Then again, I have been none to make mistakes...from time to time.
    [​IMG]

9. nick daring

nick daring Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

A set photo has already leaked-
    [​IMG]

10. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

I thought they were Pym Particles in the comics. I know Pym was a total jerk in the Ultimates universe so that could make it more interesting.

11. rodneyfaile

rodneyfaile Sr Member

Wasp has to be in it!

So lets hear it. What actors are we thinking of?

12. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

Whoever plays Wasp would have to be able to pull off short hair/pixie cut like in the comics.

13. EyeofSauron

EyeofSauron Master Member

i vote keira knightley and ewan mcgregor. i would also vote michael fassbender but he allready was in the xmen movie, so there would be conflicts. ryan gosling would, at least visually also fit the part

14. Sundowner

Who says it has to be Pym? Several others have had the mantle of name of Ant-Man.

Hank Pym - The man himself
    Scott Lang - Stark International employee
    Chris McCarthy - SHIELD agent
    Eric O'Grady - Former SHIELD employee / villain turned Avenger

Endless possibilities.

15. MooMooEgg

MooMooEgg Sr Member

Um, no need to yell. I'm just stating my opinion. I'm allowed to do that.

16. MooMooEgg

MooMooEgg Sr Member

Yeah, it's Pym Particles in the comics.

I wonder if Marvel will go the Ultimates route, but I don't think they'll do it right away. I don't think the general public (not to mention Disney) will like a wife-beating superhero. Maybe they'll slowly move into that territory in The Avengers 2 or something when there's less of a central focus on him.

17. nick daring

It's Edgar wright. It's gonna be primarily a wacky comedy with a side of super heroics and action. That's been his equation so far in the film world and probably the only way to present a character called "antman" to a mainstream audience.

Nick

18. MooMooEgg

MooMooEgg Sr Member

Yeah, with just that, I'm hoping he'll be able to make the movie believable. I haven't not liked any of his films, so no matter what direction they go with it, I hope he'll pull through and make it enjoyable.

19. rodneyfaile

rodneyfaile Sr Member

Simon Pegg as Pym then? Lol

20. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

Maybe if they blame his behavior on the effects of the particles. I'm amazed Disney hasn't ruined Marvel yet.

21. nick daring

22. Vivek

23. nick daring

I dig the dual 60's and modern era idea. Cool approach to making the character interesting to modern audiences while still being reverent to the source material.

Turning super tiny is kinda like being invisible. It makes for a better "villain" power than a hero so including the Scott Lang Antman into the story is fun.

Nick

Last edited: Jun 29, 2012
  24. terryr

terryr Sr Member

How about Guy Pearce? He was just in a dud called Lockout and needs to reboot. [To get his sentence removed he has to rescue the presidents daughter from a space station prison. Snake Plissken in Space. Escape From Space Station.]

[​IMG]

I hope not. I'm so sick of 'nanites' use as a crutch in sci-fi writing.

25. JoMamma_Smurf

JoMamma_Smurf Master Member

This will flop. He's too obscure. Mark my words. 100% chance it will flop.

26. nick daring

Black Widow, Iron Man and Thor are pretty obscure too.

It's all in approach.

Men in Black and the Ninja Turtles were obscure characters too.

Besides just look at this guy! He oozes charisma! That's star power folks!
    [​IMG]

I didn't even notice Iron Man was in the shot for like an hour as I gazed blissfully into Ant-man eyes.

Nick

Last edited: Jun 30, 2012
  27. JD

JD Master Member

You're correct on some points. He is obscure and it probably won't do the bank of the other Marvel movies. But, with Edgar at the helm, it will probably be lower budget than the other Marvel films and it probably will be critically accepts if not by the media then by the fanboys.

Frankly, even as a comics reader I'm not all that familiar with the character and even I'm not sure he warrants his own movie. Like Hawkeye and Black Widow (and even Nick Fury) - who have some star power behind them - Ant Man might be best left as background/secondary character in team movie... or with other heroes.

Ant Man just seems and sounds too much like a SyFy cast off - even if we all know better.

28. Scareb

Scareb Sr Member

I think Nathan Fillion would be a perfect Ant Man. He can play intelligent but also he can be a huge smartass/*******.

Not to mention Fillions always wanted to be a superhero (not counting Capt. Hammer). I'd say this would be a perfect opportunity if it gets greenlit.

29. JD

JD Master Member

If only he were a bit younger.

30. Jet Beetle

Jet Beetle Sr Member Gone but not forgotten.

Actually - these guys were doing this script 5 years ago and it was pushed back - but it's a straight out comedy and that could work. Doesn't matter that the character is not as popular - his name tells you all you really need to know.

31. terryr

terryr Sr Member

You never know. Look at Hawkeye. An unknown played by an unknown. Until people saw him.

32. Jet Beetle

Jet Beetle Sr Member Gone but not forgotten.

I saw a clip on youtube where he went on and on about wanting to play lead in the Greatest American Hero remake. He loves the show.

33. nick daring

34. Sundowner

35. Vivek

Edgar Wright's test reel footage is also rumored to be screened during the Marvel panel after Iron Man 3.

36. Egon Spengler

Egon Spengler Sr Member

I just don't see how this could be cool, but I do know I could be wrong.

37. Vivek

Devin Faraci at BadassDigest.com
    https://twitter.com/devincf/status/224312588232704001
    "ANT-MAN test reel GREAT. He uses size fu in combat - growing and shrinking to fight"

Empire Magazine
    https://twitter.com/empiremagazine/status/224312579470786560
    The costume was red-and-black. "We wanted to do a costume that was more practical. It mixes the Silver Age and contemporary Ant-Man." - Edgar

Steven Weintraub at Collider.com
    https://twitter.com/colliderfrosty/status/224312655245094912
    "Ant-Man test footage was just shown. Looks so much cooler than I thought it would be. Now I get it. Can't wait."

Eric Vespe at AICN
    https://twitter.com/EricVespe/status/224313055507529729
    "Ant Man test footage was fun... simple scene of Ant Man running down a hallway as two guys in suits protect an elevator."

"Ant-Man will kick your *, one inch at a time. There is no casting news." - Edgar Wright

38. Blind Devil

Blind Devil New Member

I made an AntMan for a guy named Jesse Alcozer about a year ago. I put a nice silver paint job on it , but he really wanted it dipped in chrome, so he did. It came out great, that chrome job really made it pop
    [​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG]
    I made just the helmet not the suit FYI

Last edited: Jul 14, 2012
  39. Vivek

(Click to enlarge)

[​IMG]

Neat..very cool Blind Devil :thumbsup.

40. Vivek

Last edited: Jul 15, 2012
  41. nick daring

I imagine the antman size-fu to be similar to the night crawler battle in X2.

I hope the footage is available soon.

Nick

42. Blind Devil

Blind Devil New Member

Thanks Vivek

43. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

You are smoking CRACK if you think Iron Man is 'obscure' What the hell.

44. Vivek

I think Nick meant that they were all obscure characters before their movie adaptations, which is true. Unlike some other superhero characters who were already pretty famous through their cartoons, TV series or even comics, Iron Man really became famous worldwide only after the movie in 2008. Prior to that he was known amongst comics readers, but not to the general public.

45. cboath

cboath Master Member

I watched an iron man cartoon for 2 years every saturday morning in the early 90's. Wouldn't say he was obscure prior to 2008 or 9 (whenever the movie came out).

46. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

I think you're significantly underestimating his fame. He may not have had a major movie before then but he showed up in a number of adaptions and was known outside of comic readers. He wasn't as big as he is now, sure, but he was hardly an unknown.

Yup this is likely a case of the accusers being too young to remember some of the other adaptions he showed up in.

47. rodneyfaile

rodneyfaile Sr Member

Blade was obscure, it didn't flop.

48. Vivek

You're probably right. I knew Iron Man mainly through the comics in the 90s. I grew up watching the Spider-Man cartoons (60s, 80s) and the 70s TV movie in the 1980s and then the Spidey, X-Men cartoons in the 90s. Even the Hulk cartoon in the 80s. Iron Man did make appearances in some of these other cartoons, but I didn't get to watch any of the Iron Man cartoons.

But whether a character is obscure or famous doesn't really make a huge difference these days, as it's all about the right approach towards the adaptation and generating mass appeal, which Iron Man did very well.

Superman who is a universally known character couldn't make Superman Returns a big success as many hoped it would be.

Ant-Man has potential and I am hoping Edgar Wright will be able to pull it off.

49. Jeyl

Jeyl Master Member

If Wasp isn't in this, I'm not seeing it.

50. Sundowner

Iron Man is one Marvel's heavy hitters and has been in comics, cartoons, video games and now movies. Thor definitely a heavy hitter in the comics.