Ant-Man

Tons of early reviews out in Rotten Toms. This seems to be pretty standard summer fare, ideally targeted at families. The harder core fans are obviously bemoaning the loss of the film that it could have been with Edgar Wright directing it, but it will be interesting to see if this blander and less quirky version will nail the box office with the holiday crowds. I think it will.

Weak start on RT but now at 72% with a 6.9/10 rating.

Here's another spoiler-free video review:

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got home from the theater, watched the movie. It was honestly great. Better than I expected it to be. I do admit that the film had a slow start, for about the first 30 minutes or so. But as it progresses, it gets better and better. The action scenes were really great, and they worked surprisingly well for little people fighting. This is NOT the downfall of the MCU. The only way it could be is through how well it sells. But honestly a great film. It had the perfect balance of comedy and action. It really is a heist film lol. I'd give it 8 out of 10.

SOME SPOILERS FOR PEOPLE WHO ARE CURIOUS:

-Peggy Carter was only in it for like two minutes at the start of the film.
-About Hank's domestic abuse from the comics, none of that is directly shown in the film. However Hank does have a little temper.
-Watch out for the scene when Falcon asks about Ant-Man. You'll hear a wee bit of Spidey references. "We got a guy who swings, we got a guy who crawls walls"
-There are two credits scenes: Hank shows Hope the second Wasp suit prototype that he and Janet was working on before she was gone, and tells her that it's time for her to take on the suit. The other shows Steve Rogers and Sam Wilson found Bucky and his metal arm trapped, Cap says that they can't tell Stark because nobody would believe, and Sam says he "knows a guy", implying Ant-Man (Falcon and Ant-Man fought each other earlier in the film, Falcon thinking Scott was a hostile and wants to infiltrate the Avengers facility).

I have my ticket booked for the IMAX 3D showing tomorrow at 13:00.

That's right I'm taking the day off to treat myself to watching the film in peace with like-minded considerate people who are willing to pay a lot of money for a cinema ticket to ensure they will be able to watch it without some knob getting their phone out halfway through to update their Facebook status or Tweet that they are sat in the cinema watching Ant Man.
Few things frustrate me more when I go to the cinema than paying for a ticket to be sat with a bunch of goons who can't stop themselves from talking for 2 hours or playing with their phone.

I have to say that Marvel fans aren't like that, ever Marvel film I have watched everyone wants to be there and is in it for the full experience so I don't expect it to happen tomorrow.
However in many films I've been to this sort of retarded behaviour continues, and could be part of the reason why people are fed up going to the cinema, paying a lot of money for a ticket only to that that experience of seeing a new film for the first time and having their enjoyment and immersion in the narrative ruined by an inconsiderate socially inept idiot who consider their Facebook status to be more important than watching the film they themselves have just paid a lot of money to see.

I can't wait for that Red logo to flicker onto the screen and I'm hoping the ants scurry in like they did on the logo during one of the films earlier trailers!

Fingers crossed for 2 button scenes at the end!

To everyone going tomorrow or this weekend to watch Ant Man, have a great time and I hope the audience you are sat with are considerate and allow you to enjoy it in peace without disruption.

Excelsior.

To everyone going tomorrow or this weekend to watch Ant Man, have a great time and I hope the audience you are sat with are considerate and allow you to enjoy it in peace without disruption.

Excelsior.
Little kid kept screaming every time he saw an ant on the screen. Liked the movie, but ***** people keep your kids out of a movie called ANTman if they're scared of ants!

This kid definitely had a fear of ants/insects. He would shriek when they were on screen, and cover his eyes. It would've been really funny if I wasn't trying to pay attention the the movie.

...That's right I'm taking the day off to treat myself to watching the film in peace with like-minded considerate people who are willing to pay a lot of money for a cinema ticket to ensure they will be able to watch it without some knob getting their phone out halfway through to update their Facebook status or Tweet that they are sat in the cinema watching Ant Man.
Few things frustrate me more when I go to the cinema than paying for a ticket to be sat with a bunch of goons who can't stop themselves from talking for 2 hours or playing with their phone...in many films I've been to this sort of retarded behaviour continues, and could be part of the reason why people are fed up going to the cinema, paying a lot of money for a ticket only to that that experience of seeing a new film for the first time and having their enjoyment and immersion in the narrative ruined by an inconsiderate socially inept idiot who consider their Facebook status to be more important than watching the film they themselves have just paid a lot of money to see...
A good friend and I will usually try to see movies at an early or mid-afternoon showing on a Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday so that we can avoid these people who have no idea how to behave properly in a movie theater, or at least minimize our exposure to them. Unfortunately, that plan didn't pay off when we went to see Ant-Man this afternoon. In many cases the problem is that a large percentage of moviegoers these days are people under the age of 40 who grew up with VCRs and/or DVD/Blu-Ray players in their homes, and when they get in a movie theater many of them tend to behave the same way they do when watching a movie at home because their parents never taught them how to behave in a movie theater. Today, we were surrounded by them--young mothers who brought their children with them, and there was so much commotion that for the first hour I felt as if my friend and I were the only people in the theater who actually wanted to see the movie. :facepalm

That being said, I enjoyed it. Marvel did the right thing by including a good deal of humor at the characters' expense because a hero the size of an ant is a pretty ridiculous premise, but they found just the right balance between the humor, character development, and action.

My only complaint would be that these "super hero" movies are getting repetitive and formulaic. "Here's Joe Schmoe. He's the hero, but he doesn't know it yet. This is the group of smart/rich guys who need Joe Schmoe to be their hero, but they don't know it yet. Oh, and one of them knows things can go horribly wrong, but no one will listen to him. Joe Schmoe becomes the hero anyway, saves the day, and turns out to be more clever than the smart/rich guys. And be sure to stay through the credits so you can see the teaser scene for the next movie." :rolleyes

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back